It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:09 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

First of all, hello! I am new to this forum and this is my first post! Second, I was not sure where to post this question/issue...if it is in the wrong place mods please move it :)

I am at a bit of a crossroads here and was seeking advice and help in the matter. I am currently seeing a doctor for suboxone and am on 2 8mg tabs a day. I have been seeing this doctor for about a year now and everything has been great. For the first time I have been able to stay clean (so to speak) and not use anything except this medication for over a year! In the past I have been on methadone maintenance, which didn't work, in-patient rehab for over 6 months and relapsed after being completely clean, used opiates again, NA meetings, etc, etc. Now I am productive, working, completing college, everything is great. Suboxone has saved my life and for the first time I feel completely normal on it with no cravings or thoughts of using at all.

Now, here is the problem. Last week my doctor suggested it is time to start tapering off. And based on what she said it seems like its going to start the next visit (2 weeks from now). She knows my history of abuse and relapse in full pretty much. But the thing is, I don't want to get off Suboxone. I am definitely not ready yet, I don't know if I will ever be. I know my history and I know what will happen if I do come off Suboxone and I fear that more than anything.

I have not discussed really any of my feelings regarding this with my doctor yet. I was looking for some advice and opinions first. I thought it would kind of be up to me when I was going to detox/taper. But based on my last visit my doc is making the choice for me. What do I do? Do I have the right to stay on it? Should I discuss everything with my doctor and see what happens? What if she still wants to proceed, do I have the right to go and see a different doctor? I don't want to break the law or anything, I'm pretty sure that's not considered doctor shopping.

I really need some help with this matter, it is giving me great anxiety. :(

Thanks,

-Angela

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:50 pm 

Hello Angela,Welcome to the forum.

Glad sub treatment is working so well in your life this year. Hopefully for years to come if need be.

In my opinion I think you should talk with your Dr just as you have here with us. I can't begin to know just what your dr is thinking. Drs in this field useing Buprenorphine have different thoughts on just how to treat. Many do leave it up to the patient, however others taper, or detox and everything in between. You sound like you have trusted this dr and that is good.
Its possible she may see you as doing so well and your age (college aged)?, that she feels your ready.?..

I see opiate addiction as a chronic lifeloug problem. And with your experiences in fighting this with rehabs and 12 step fellowship ,this med has you moving forward and upward. Congrats on one year!!! So..

Tell your dr what you want and Need. You may not have the Right to have this med from her, but you do deserve to know the facts from your dr. Ask the tuff questions. And if indeed this dr wants you to taper off, then you can look for a new one. Witch isnt as easy as it should be ..yet..

And look, she may only want you to drop a tad. You cant know for sure till you ask her. It is not against the law to change Drs Angela. .
Keep us posted and please try not to worry over it.

Razor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:21 pm 

I agree with Razor. Remind your doctor that this is the first treatment that has ever worked for you and that you don't want to relapse because you tapered off a medication that has been so successful for you. If you don't get a positive response from your current doctor, then, by all means, search for another!

Would a diabetic patient be told that they should start tapering their insulin use? Of course not! Would you please tell your doctor that suboxone has been keeping your addiction in remission? I'm not sure how many doctors have heard that terminology and I would like for them to hear that and possibly change their thinking about sub.

In fact, everyone who reads this who is being prescribed bupe for addiction, could you please bring up to your doctors that the medication keeps your addiction in remission? I think that some doctors view bupe products and their use incorrectly. Let's give our doctors a possible new way of thinking about these maintenance medications!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:50 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Some Dr's choose to use Bupe for short term. There is a Dr. in my area that weans you off in 1 year after induction. Personally, I think he is a D...head! I went to him first and he accused me of taking Benzos before my induction and wanted me back in a week for another urine screen and another $150.00. He was more about "fast money".
You need to find a Dr. that suits your " specific needs" and "requests". Remember, he is working for you, not the other way around.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:37 pm 

Hey Angela :) Welcome

Well I know exactly what ur going through. My Dr is doing the same thing to me and everyone at my clinic. I've been on sub almost four years. About a yr ago my Dr pulled a bunch of us in that had been there for a yr and over to tell us we would gradually be tapering down. I freaked out. I even have a thread here on the forum somewhere about this. It has been a very slow slow process and since then I've went down from 16mg to 8mg. That's actually worked out pretty good because I honestly shouldn't have been on that high of a dose that long. But when it comes time for him to drop me lower than I'm ready for, I'll be looking for a new Dr. I don't think we should be forced to taper if we aren't ready. It's a huge mistake that plays with our lives. I even tried talking to him and u wanna know what his answer was??.......You'll never be ready until someone pushes u to do this. And it's not gonna do u any good to try to talk me out of it. Well I walked out of there and freaked out. Since then I've learned to just take it easy and when the time comes, I'll just go elsewhere. If u have a Dr that's just absolutely not gonna listen, u have to do what u gotta do in order to make sure ur taking care of u. Now ur Dr may be different and actually listen, it's definitely worth trying. And I honestly like my Dr, but there's issues I definitely have with him and this forced taper. Just wanted u to know that ur not alone in this situation. It's scary but always have a backup plan in place.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:13 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I agree strongly with Razor and Amy. Talk with your doctor and explain your individual case to her. If you find that she is unwilling to provide the treatment you need, then seek another. Doing so is not doctor shopping...your motive is not to feed your addiction. Quite the contrary, you are desperate to avoid a relapse. Please keep us posted, and I agree with Amy that expressing it as keeping your addiction in remission is an excellent way to communicate it to your doctor in terms she will easily understand and should agree with.
Thanks,
Morphing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:59 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you guys so much for all your replies! I was overwhelmed by the positive support and care that everyone shows. You really made me less nervous about the future.

Well I have an appointment late this week with my doctor. I will just have to wait and see how it goes and mention everything I've said here to her. It's a difficult situation, hopefully my doctor will be responsive to my needs. I really don't want to have to go find another one and get one who takes my insurance and all the headache that comes with that.

To respond to an earlier post. I am not really college age. I went back to school to finish my degree after a long absence. I don't want to reveal my age but you get the idea. Thanks again for all the support and I will keep you updated on what happens.