It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been using opiates and methadone ever since high school but never really got addicted until a horrible car accident 3 years ago. I've been on numerous different opiates since then and finally been on percocet 10mg 6/day for the last year almost. Some days I go well over my prescribed 6 a day and it will turn into 15-17. I want to get off of them but I'm afraid because of the pain I'll be in and because of withdrawal. I'm curious if suboxone will help with the pain as well. I'm just so tired of relying on my meds just to get trough the day and night. Also, I used to be prescribed to much heavier stuff but I decided it would be better to be in a little pain than nodding out all of the time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:45 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome and best of luck. You are the only one who can decide what your next step is. Sub has some pain relief properties for some people. If you decide to go on suboxone it blocks the effects of opiates making it nearly useless to take other opiates for pain control. Doctor may be able to RX certain opiates that have a high affinity for opiate receptors in the brain which might work if taken in high enough doses. Dr. Junig has used a combination of oxycodone and suboxone for pain. You can find that discussion in another section of this website. Suboxone is usually started by people that are sick and tired of having to constantly obtain opiates to ward off withdrawal. I wanted out of that cycle and wanted calm in my life. Suboxone has helped me to get off opiates, avoid withdrawal and stops cravings. Worked for me. Drug of choice hydrocodone/last use without RX December 2005.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:37 pm 

Hey AA,

I'm not an addict with pain so I don't know from experience. But I do know there's ppl in my clinic and on this forum that have pain and I believe their doctors advise them to split their sub doses up to where they're taking it several times a day to help maintain their pain. How well does sub help with pain...I'm not sure, hopefully someone else can help answer that better. But ur definitely not the only person who's been addicted to opiates that still needed them for pain. It's a tricky situation but it is do-able. Ur doctor will work with u on what's best for u. I've never regretted my decision to get on suboxone, it's been a sheer blessing.

Good luck!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes-- that combination approach works, but I'm usually afraid of getting persecuted (or prosecuted!) for using it. The combo is the standard of care for post-op pain, but most docs are afraid to combine them for chronic pain, either from fear of accusations of overuse of opioids or general ignorance about how buprenorphine works.

You only need to be off opioid agonists for 12-24 hours (as long as you are not taking methadone or fentanyl). I recommend you give it a month to let your system adjust-- but if you still have too much pain you can always go back, without any discomfort. I guess the one concern would be that it may be harder to find an opioid prescriber after being on buprenorphine, because of the addict label...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I appreciate your advise. There's just no way I could go a month without any kind of pain management. I would be confined to my bed the whole time. I've gone without for a while before and it is beyond horrible

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:13 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi ARR,
I hope you are still open to the idea of taking sub or buprenorphine.
Buprenorphine is used in very small amounts to relieve chronic pain. I work in a nursing home and almost all residents have a buprenorphine or "norspan" slow release patch.
I have chronic back issues on top of addiction in which suboxone treats very well. If not for taking subs, I would be reliant on something else.
I also have 4+ years free from drugs and alcohol.
My life is amazing because of suboxone.
Wishing you the best!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Kaitpo,

Thanks for your post. Interesting on bup pain patches in your nursing home. I've recently learned that lots of our elderly have pain (parkinsons, MS, strokes, arthritis, degenerative disc disease... and are on opiate pills and patches - not bup. And one big issue w these old folks is respiratory depression from the full agonists. Wish the US were more progressive w utilizing bup for pain -- and for addiction too. Always glad to read your posts. I regularly look for them and miss them when its been awhile.

ARR, Maybe I read Dr J's response differently. I read it that you could start bup w/in 12-24 hrs and give bup some time, up to a month before deciding to go back to opiates, not that you have to be off opiates a month before staring bup. We do have folks on here w pain relief from bup. P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:29 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Pelican,
That is so very kind of you. What a nice person you are!
I haven't been here for some time because I have been completely sucked into Facebook.
I have found its a good platform to stay in touch with animal and human rights stuff, which is important to me.
Hey, I'm pretty sure you do have the bupe patch there, just under a different name..butrans??
I attended an education session at work on pain management, which was held by Mundipharma who manufacture Norspan. Basically an hour of plugging bupe. I was so uncomfortable.
You see, when I first started working where I am now, someone noticed track marks on my arm and of course told a few ppl. It helps that I don't fit the old stereotype of what a junkie looks like, so I laughed it off, while quietly shitting myself of course.
ARR, what are your thoughts now? FYI, the highest dose norspan (bupe) patch is 40 micrograms. According Mundipharma, that is equivalent to 80mg of morphine. Opioid dependance is treated in much higher doses. In other words, we take a shitload more. The patch may be a good place to start???
Pelican, I hope you have an amazing day today and treat yourself to something.
Also....hi Jenn! I noticed I got a mention in another thread we both replied to! I hope you are doing really well jenn. Anything exciting in your world to report?
Take care good people!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Kaitpo,

Such a nice comment from you. Thank you! Yes, you are right, we have bup patches and oral SL for pain here in the US. I failed to write that I meant to say that imo, it appears to me that in our elder care, especially in nursing homes, bup is not prescribed and w lack of respiratory depression, it could be a good choice for mild to moderate pain. In nursing homes in 2 states that I'm familiar w, none prescribe bup and in fact, is not on their list of approved allowed meds. For example, in one facility, the approved patch is the fentanyl patch. Tylenol, tramadol or oxycontin ER if the patient can swallow an oral tab. No aspirin or NSAID is allowed due to easy gastric erosion in an older stomach. I will have an amazing day, Thx! P

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:41 pm 

Hey Katipo! I've noticed u haven't been around much lately.....don't forget about us :) ur definitely a very positive force to this forum. I've been enjoying Pinterest lol. I'd never tried it until I started the gardening hobby, once I checked it out I was hooked! So much gardening info I could scream with giddy joy lol.

Have a wonderful day :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:00 pm 

ARR27,

Welcome to the forum! One, let me say how sorry I am to read of the car accident resulting in such chronic pain. Trying to find relief is a difficult road to walk. The closest I came to having opiates prescribed was from a back and neck injury. That's what got me going on the addiction cycle. Later on, after abusing my meds and eventually seeking treatment with Suboxone I found that my own body was very good at healing my spine and that Aleve actually worked better than narcotics. Not saying that's what will happen in your case but I do hope it does.

My brother, who had a hip replacement due to a fall, (only 62) ended up hooked on Oxy's. His pain management doctor but him on Subutex instead of Suboxone. How he wrote the script I can't say. Maybe your doctor can write it for the same drug but label it for pain, not for abuse, that way it looks better on your medical records. I'd love to hear one of our doctors chime in on that one.

To answer your question on whether Buprenorphine will help with pain, yes is the normal response. The Butrans patch, Buccal, and other Buprenorphine products deliver it in smaller doses that seem to work better than larger ones. A very weird drug for sure.

Bottom line is, if you can't control the pain pills then maybe it's time for Suboxone or one of the other similar medications. Discuss it with your doctor and I hope you find good pain relief.

rule

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

One of the meds I was on was 100mg morphine but it wasn't enough and didn't help as well as the fentanyl 100mcg or percocet. To be honest I have taken suboxone before (a few times) 16 mg a day and it helped with pain just a little bit. It did seem to help with the addiction part tho

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello AAR

Welcome to the forum. You can always try taking sub for pain and see how it manages it. Worst case scenario, you go back to where you are at... taking the full agonists.

There are people on this forum that use subs for pain management and are fairly successful. I am hoping some will chime in and give you their thoughts.

If it were me, I would give myself 6 weeks on subs. just to see how my body feels. I feel like 6 weeks is long enough for the other meds to leave my system and for the subs to adjust in my body. And if i feel like my pain is still out of control, then i would make the switch to something stronger like methadone. That seems to be stronger that subs and helps with addiction as well. I was on methadone before i was on subs and it was stronger and I knew that subs might be a lighter medication to ingest for my addiction. and I didn't want to be tied somewhere everyday.

I hope you give it a shot. Good luck ! Let us know how you are doing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Does anyone know which forum I need to be on to find out if suboxone treats pain? I'm in desperate need of switching to it but need pain management as well. Please let me know asap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I finally started suboxone and it is the best decision I have ever made. My pain management Dr has me taking two 8mg strips a day. Really it seems to treat my pain better this time around and taking it regularly than the percocet ever did. Not the fentanyl obviously but that's just too strong of one to be on long term when I'm only 27. But it sure is a close second. Thanks everyone for suggesting to start suboxone. Probably ended up saving my life

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:31 am 

I bet it has saved ur life and congrats to ur new start! I'm still amazed every single day how lucky I am to not be in active addiction anymore.

Good luck!

Post subject: !
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:03 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

that was the one thing that kept me from stop using drugs before i was forced to. the withdrawals. i had been buying tramadol from overseas for the past 7 years and last year i was introduced to heroin, and got addicted to that, repleacing the tramadol. i had gone through tramadol withdrawals a lot during those seven years, and went through the heroin withdrawal once when my dealer ran out and it took three days for him to get more. those were the worst three days of my life, and i was so scared to go through that again. i did EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING to get my heroin just so i wouldn't go through withdrawals. i would stress and stay up all night just thinking of ways to get money so i wouldn't go through withdrawals.
then, one day, my mom took my keys away from me and i was forced to get clean. i told her everything i was doing and we found a way to get off the hroin without going through withdrawals. suboxone. at first i was nervous it wasn't going to work, but it did. sure, i have to pay a lot of money for the doctor to write that prescription, but to me its worth it. i have been clean since may 2, 2017, and i am living my life like i did before the drugs! and its funny, cause the person who got me to try herion is the person who told me about suboxone. funny how life works.

but, i suggest you try suboxone. you may have to pay $, but if you want to get off the drugs and not go through withdrawal, suboxone is amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome here sassygirl! Best tonight, P