It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I for one can't believe the stupidity here..but it just goes to show the ignorance of people about addiction. This is ABSURD, and it shames me to know I live near idiots of this nature and degree (and even worse, IDIOTS WITH POLITICAL POWER).

Read the story..look at the comments from the mayor...and others..

"but we lost the battle against the state...."
At least SOMEONE in the State has some sense, and pushed it forward...morons..i tell you what!!

I'm not sure who that person was that commented below the post on that site...but they seem to be pretty smart!! (the comments section on the video/story)

http://www.myfoxal.com/story/16511596/r ... Id=6634869

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ya jonathonm1978". the guy got HELP and turned on what helped him recover. maybe in the long run when he slips again
God will derect him back to what helped him with recovery. and then he will think a little more clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

johnboy wrote:
ya jonathonm1978". the guy got HELP and turned on what helped him recover. maybe in the long run when he slips again
God will derect him back to what helped him with recovery. and then he will think a little more clear.

I'm willing to bet money the person who said he was "an addict 10 years ago" has never heard the term, "once an addict, always an addict..."

But I'd also bet that the guy is still addicted to SOMETHING, but he probably think his problem isn't a problem, likely something like prescribed pain pills...he likely sees absolutely nothing wrong with that, because he gets them from a doctor, legally...

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

oh ya your right". he's slip sliding away with his doc and the other. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:23 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

This stuff happens all the time. In my city, the police busted in and shut down the needle exchange. This is one of the first needle exchanges in the country and was run by a guy with 20 years sobriety. The goal of the exchange is obviously to keep people safe until they are ready to quit themselves. People are so misinformed about this stuff and all they see is "addicts = bad"... hell, many people in my city supported the closing of our community mental health center. They just heard "budget cut" and did not think of the consequences. Now, we have even more homeless and/or mentally ill people wandering the street. Why? Because they were dependent on the mental health center to provide medication and oh yeah A PLACE TO LIVE.

Its hard for me to understand how a nation like ours, with so much wealth and influence is willing to allow homeless and sick people to fend for themselves. They are always willing to give the ultra rich a tax cut, but when it comes to providing a pittance to social assistance forget it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:29 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

jonathanm1978 wrote:
johnboy wrote:

I'm willing to bet money the person who said he was "an addict 10 years ago" has never heard the term, "once an addict, always an addict..."

But I'd also bet that the guy is still addicted to SOMETHING, but he probably think his problem isn't a problem, likely something like prescribed pain pills...he likely sees absolutely nothing wrong with that, because he gets them from a doctor, legally...

Seems like he is most likely a stepper. Nothing wrong with praying if it helps you, nothing wrong with attending meetings either. What is a problem is when you feel that your own PERSONAL feeling on the matter prevent people from getting help. If that guy really cared about other "addicts" then he would want them to get better, even if it is in a way in which his ignorance does not allow him to see the benefit. He is the same type of guy that is telling people to get off of anti-D's and just pray instead. When I was told things like that I often told the person saying it they very well could have blood on their hands... they have no right to tell others how to get better.

The guy was a Meth addict, stimulant addictions can be just as ugly as an opiate/downer addiction, but they are very different beast. I'd bet if he went to a recovery center then he was prescribed at least some type of medication to help.

Post subject: huh?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

stephent wrote:
Now, we have even more homeless and/or mentally ill people wandering the street. Why? Because they were dependent on the mental health center to provide medication and oh yeah A PLACE TO LIVE.

Its hard for me to understand how a nation like ours, with so much wealth and influence is willing to allow homeless and sick people to fend for themselves. They are always willing to give the ultra rich a tax cut, but when it comes to providing a pittance to social assistance forget it.

You're kidding right? Most cities are filled with shelters. Private shelters that exist on donations from private entities, including churches. And people who believe in God continue to give money despite how they are constantly mocked in the media and on message boards.

How much is a "pittance"? Is it less than the 500 million this president wasted on Solyndra? How much more broke do you want this country to be in the name of helping people? Trillions and trillions since the 60's, and we still have poor people, drug addicts, and homeless people. But yes, I'm sure if liberals manage to confiscate even more money from the "ultra rich", our problems will go away.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:29 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

[font=Century Gothic]]It absolutely drives me bat shit crazy to hear about such pure and common ignorance. Maybe we should spend alittle money educating some of these bafoons in seats of power as to what it is to be a drug addict. Oh were all bad, were all devients sure sure, such a stereotype, but how much do you want to bet that every one of these politicians has some demon or addiction wether it be to drugs or single malt scotch at 9am, but they turn their noses up at us for having a chemical makeup that allowed us to be more suseptible to addiction than others. How many of you on here got hooked due to an accident or illness that depended on you taking pain medicine to eleviate your symptoms? but oh no wait no one told you the long term effects and by the time you knew you were hooked. When all you were originally doing was taking medication that your doctor not only prescribed but may have persuaded you into taking saying hes got no other treatment choices for you right now. But the moment the natural occurance happens(i.e) your body becomes dependant on opiates because it actually changes your brain chemistry....well then now your a...... dun dun dun.... "DRUG ADDICT" and scum of the earth. And now they want nothing to do with you or for you. What then?[/font][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:15 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I remember bein put on sub in 04 in Calif. and there were 500 sub doctors there at the time,,then i moved back east to hillbill'sville and there was only ONE sub maitenence doctor!!!,,And i was gun ho about sub then and i felt like most do when they first start sub and think its a miracle drug,,anyway,,i went to all the doctors in small town of 5,000,,and these are all doctors i have abused in the past,,but i went and i had a whole large package of info aboutsub that nabbt had sent me and i tried to get doctors here to see the light,,and tell them of all our teens gettin in the med cabinet and the parents addictions,,my regular doc said he had to run it past his bosses and it came back a big NO!,,they said they didnt want their waiting room full of addicts,,and i started laughing,,and told my doc its already filled with addicts!!,,you just dont know it!!,,anyway,,my plan failed,,and i can see their point ,,just as i can see their point about having a methadone clinic in the nieghborhood,,my bro-in-law goes to a clinic and ive gone a few times and man,,the parkin lot was was all about drug dealin,,and tradin,,so i can see both sides of that problem,,they tried to put a stop to it and put camera's in the parking lot,,but then people just met down the street to buy and sell.
TT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Probably half the people in that neighborhood (which is about 30 minutes from my house) are closeted pill addicts, or closet alcoholics..but they don't want a bunch of addicts in their neighborhood...guess they figure it might cause their family to see what kind of life they are leading and expose them, so why bring that sort of 'truth and honesty' into the light if it's not necessary.

I was honestly shocked when I started finding out how many lawyers, judges, doctors, nurses, managers, executives and so on are hooked on pills (opiates) ....and most all of them don't believe it's a problem..they do it for "energy"...

Gotta love having those fake "bad backs"..

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject: View of Addicts
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:36 pm 

I guess society doesn't learn by its mistakes of the past. It took a long time before alcoholism was viewed as an illness that can affect anyone rich or poor. Back in the day, an active alcoholic would always say "I still work and I'm not in the gutter drunk, so I can't be an alcoholic." DENIAL! Now it seems even the medical community is viewing addicts as some nefarious character wearing a hoody and black leathers drooling for a fix of drugs. (pretty good picture, eh?)

So it's the same perception as alcoholism. Wrong! Why can't they see who the real addicts are? Just regular working Joe's, Mom's and Dad's, and all types of citizens get addicted to pain medicines. One would think by now with all the TV shows about addiction that the community would be more sympathetic to our needs and would want to help us addicts.

No one in my work or social network would ever believe I was an addict. They would all say "Oh no, not him, he is too professional and is a respected member of society." To this day only a selected few know of my addiction problem and I have no reason to tell any of them now.

This subject just got me thinking this morning and I thought I'd put my 2¢ in.

It is nice to be in the company of my fellow addicts. Good Morning All!

Rule