It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Want to quit Suboxone
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I take 32mg a day and have been for close to 5 years now.I did take Methadone for 3 years and heard about Suboxone
but since Medicaid covered Suboxone and not Methadone through a clinic.I switched to Suboxone.

I tried once and was completly off Suboxone for 2 months but still had withdrawl symptoms,even after 2 months.I could get relief from taking 2 Darvocet but only for 2 hours.I finally had to get some 10mg methadone off the street and one tablet would relieve symptoms but it took me back to square one.

I don't have any problems refusing other opiates while taking Suboxone and it helped me to get sober from Alcohol for 5 years now.

I talked to one Dr. and he said they need to make it in lower doses than 2mg so people can quit taking it.

It doesn't kill pain for me,it just keeps me off of other more dangerous opiates.I do have back-pain but 800mg of Motrin or 1600mg if severe takes care of it but I only take it 2-3 times a week.1600mg only after a whip-lash.

Any suggestions on how to stop taking it and have had simular situations please let me know.

Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Robert, welcome to the forum.

Have you read through some of the taper stories in the Stopping Suboxone section? There are quite a few members here who have successfully tapered off of Suboxone. Most of them were able to do it by doing a long, slow taper to a very low dose of sub, usually between .25. and .10 mgs per day.

The Liquid Taper thread, which is a sticky post so it's always at the top of the forum, has my taper story as well as the taper stories of a few other members. If you read through it, you will find many helpful details about how we were able to stop with minimal withdrawal and very little PAWS.

There are also stories from people who tapered by breaking their pills into very small doses, or who did it by alternating days of dosing off and on.

Most of the successful taper stories also include other valuable information about how to get through the process. Exercise, diet, counseling, positive attitude, etc. I think if you spend some time you will find what you need.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

-Jack Kornfield