It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:31 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Ive been informing my sub doctor at the last several appts that I am in the process of tapering and wanting to try stopping the sub I just haven't put a concrete date on it yet. I was just wondering is there any type of legal grace period in place where the doctor can't just instantly cross you off their patients lists and then fill up your slot if you tell them you want to try stopping? Ive been on the stuff for four and a half years and want off but being on it such a long time and the nature of quitting opiates doesn't lend itself easily to getting it right on the first try. So basically Im just asking am I completely screwed after I tell the doctor I want to stop and say I get a month into it and feel so dreadful I may need to start taking it again, will they just be like "Nope your spots filled" or even worse tell me "yeah you can come back but you gotta pay 1500$ again for all the bull crap induction costs they just make up out of thin air. I read somewhere that there was some rule that a sub doctor can't cross you off his list until like several months after he wrote the last sub Rx but for some reason I feel like that was made up but hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Buprecision

I don't know the answer to your question, sorry. I do know that a regular doctor who doesn't want you as a patient has to give you written notice & a 30 day supply of all medications you are on.

As far as sub doc's I have no idea. Like you said they can fill your spot in the blink of an eye.

Here is the only thing i can think of-stop telling your doctor you want to quit, taper down yourself and stash all the extra sub you will have, when you are ready to jump do it the day after your doctors appt. You will have a full sub script and an appt for the following month.

I was thinking that if you did that you would have extra sub, still have an appt a month out (just in case you feel dreadful) and therefore be covered as best you can be.

Don't know if this helps but it's the best suggestion i have since i don't know the answer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi BP; my addiction doc kept forgetting to lower my dose during my taper, and I kept forgetting to remind her. In the end, I just started tapering myself, and was all-but-off Subs before telling my doctor I no longer needed my script. (My doc was fine with that, though self-tapering could be a problem with other addiction docs.)

The downside of this approach is that it becomes easy not to commit to a jump, i.e. it's keeping options open, which I think makes it harder to get serious about getting past Subs. My jump actually got easier once I 'burned my bridges.'

What sort of recovery plan do you have in place btw?

-- ji

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:26 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I wondered this too. You should ask your doc what happens if you can't make it through the taper and end up needing to increase again, what would happen? You're going to get one of a few answers. You might get the 'scary' answer where the doc either won't tell you or will tell you that there's no going back. Thats mostly to get you to accept that you're coming off. Most docs won't do this. I've heard of a few that have.

Another answer is that they'll tell you it's okay and you can increase again. I'll leave my opinion out of this group.

It's possible they can fill your spot if you're off treatment in any case, I.E. if you're not seeing them, but most docs will want to see you at least once after the process. Again, no judging on my part if your doc has not.

evolved.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Evolved pretty much hit things on the head. I'll just take the last scenerrio a little farther because relapse and struggles often don't happen until farther down the road. Being in somewhat the same situation as you I also brought this up to my doc. My biggest concern is not the early days it's after that. Say you (or I ) stop on March 1. That's the plan and somehow we hold to it. We see the doc for followup on April 1 and agree to terminate active care as we are doing pretty well one month post Bup. Things go well for a while after that but, then cravings hit. Mom is diagnosed with cancer and has hordes of oxy for her end of life pain. Or just make up your own set of impending relapse circumstances. You call the doc and he's now full again because it's august and you've been off the roster for months. That's my fear.

Second was, I'm not sure what you're docs are like but I just called for my annual physical and hit a mid March date. When I started with my sub doc I had been given a one month supply from detox. It still was hell and high water to get in within three weeks and my doc had open slots.

We can what if all of this to death but it does suck and add to our decision. Yet just another reason this silly 100 patient cap has to go!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:17 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone and yeah don I agree it really does suck. I would say this fear is the only thing at this point keeping me from taking the plunge. My fear of not of leaving and not having enough to taper is not really the problem, lets just say I was filling my prescription for 40+ 8mg tablets even though I had been tapered down to less than 1mg (about .8mgs give or take) for quite awhile so I have plenty for that. My fear is that my doctor is very lenient and understanding and also writes me an Rx for subutex for the last several years and my concern is not that I couldnt find another doctor if his patient cap was at its limit but the fact that finding another doctor that will write for subutex is like finding buried treasure nowadays. Oh well Im not gonna let this detour me though, i have reached a point where sub has kind of turned on me (it does for all intents and purposes still block my cravings mostly but Ive completely been removed from the scene for almost 5 years now and I couldn't score even if I had a pocket full of money and the urge to relapse so staying on a strong medication like this just out of fear is not justified). Good luck to all of you in the same boat, I plan on taking the plunge here soon and will post updates on the severity of my WD if anyone is interested.