It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What is the best timeframe for tapering? and also what is the best amount of MG's to drop down at a time?
looking for a general idea of how long to taper down from a dose and how many days to stay at that
new amount?
been on sub for over two years and right now i am on between 6-8 mg's per day.
I really want to get down too the lowest dose possible daily but not sure how much to reduce and how long before dropping down again?
My goal is to get to approx, .5 mg and then stop completely. its time

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think that 2 years is long enough to consider stopping (we know that stopping after one year has a 95% relapse rate). I usually recommend 2-3 years-- or just stay on it.

It takes about 1-2 weeks for the concentration to flatten at the new level after a dose adjustment. You don't want to 'stack' dose reductions-- i.e. make reductions when you haven't yet fully experienced the last reduction. So I recommend dropping by about 20%, waiting about 2 weeks, then dropping by 20%. These are general guidelines.... but doing it in this way will keep you from suddenly being hit with a huge amount of withdrawal that comes out of nowhere--- which seems to be the thing that often ends a taper attempt.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:36 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

suboxdoc wrote:
I think that 2 years is long enough to consider stopping (we know that stopping after one year has a 95% relapse rate). I usually recommend 2-3 years-- or just stay on it.

It takes about 1-2 weeks for the concentration to flatten at the new level after a dose adjustment. You don't want to 'stack' dose reductions-- i.e. make reductions when you haven't yet fully experienced the last reduction. So I recommend dropping by about 20%, waiting about 2 weeks, then dropping by 20%. These are general guidelines.... but doing it in this way will keep you from suddenly being hit with a huge amount of withdrawal that comes out of nowhere--- which seems to be the thing that often ends a taper attempt.

Thanks this was exactly the info i was looking for and i will follow this to a T