It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all,

I picked up my RX from Walgreens the other day, only to get home and see that they switched my medication to the "New"Hi-tech" 8mg Suboxone.

Needless to say, I was FURIOUS! First of all, they raised the price (guess the $20 Walgreens savings plan they made me purchase 6 months ago to save like 30 bucks... doesn't cover Subutex anymore...wow go figure!) so they surprised me with a new price, and DIDN'T say a word about the medication being a different brand!!!

I got home and saw little tiny pills in a bottle and my first thought was "WTF they gave me the wrong medicine!" but then I read the label and its some bogus new generic brand of 8mg Subutex. It's literally 1/5th the size of my Roxanne, or TEVA I have been taking for 3+ years.

I immediately call then and they say "well if you don't like it sir, bring it back, but today". I told them "ON MY WAY NOW!"
I get to the pharmacy and the "manager" if you want to call her that.... has an attitude with me (like she's probably had other people do the same thing) she tries telling me it's the same medicine, and then I told her the last time I switched medication brands I had a reaction (complete lie) and I said she should have TOLD ME! The next thing I said (which is true) was that I break my medication into 4 and take 2mg dosages "as needed" and she got super defensive and indicated "well then you need to tell your doctor how to fill out the prescription like that then". I told her well, he used to... but since I've been on the meds for 3+ years, and I only go to the Doc every 3-4 months, he knows my routine and the way I dose it. I sure like everyone here... Doc writes 8mg per day, but you don't need even half that. My Doctor tries to save me money by writing me #30 8mg tablets with 1 or 2 refills and I literally don't see him but 2-3 times a year! He saves me so much money and God bless him for that. He knows what I do and can obviously see I'm doing well and very responsible with my medication.

So the Walgreens manager continues to try to talk me into the new brand and I say "no thanks" I just want to go to CVS since they have my meds, AND its actually cheaper by a few bucks than Walgreens now.
She had no hesitation to give me my script back and send me on my way. She was so rude... I said "well doesn't Walmart notify patients when there is a change is their medicine?" and she sarcastically says "Your not at Walmart, sir." So I repeat the question using Walgreens, and she tells me "NO not if its the same dosage and active ingredient, there's no need to and no policy on that."

I didn't even try one of those HI-TECH pills as I KNEW they would mess up my entire routine that has been working for 3 years. I swear though... it's starting to feel like I'm chasing down painkillers again looking for certain brands, etc. What if they stop making Roxanne Subutex? I was on the TEVA ones from Walgreens the last 6 months, and at first they seemed to get my a little "high" and the taste was more bitter, and they were WAY harder to break apart evenly!

Can anyone tell me if this has happened to them? I already know brands are going to start cashing in on the Suboxone industry which leads me to believe the quality will only get worse.... it's kind of scary as I am in need of this medicine!!! I'm not afraid to admit I would be miserable without it. Longest I've gone was 3 days without Suboxone and I was having hot/cold flashes, inconsistent bowel, fragile emotion state, and RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME like crazy if that's what its called! I always HAD to be moving, I would even just drive around listening to music to help it a bit. So yes I am scared my medicine will change at some point again, I can only hope it doesn't!

PS. some of you might remember my post last year about "Being on Subutex/Suboxone for the rest of my life" so I'm worried about the future of this medication. I obviously don't want to be taking anything, but its 100X better than chasing a pill high or being dead for the matter. I just had a cousin my age overdose on opiates. She had severe asthma so that contributed to it, but it scares me. If I didn't have this Subutex who knows what could happen to me! I haven't relapsed since being onSubutex, but let me tell you without this medicine... who knows. I'm only 26 years old, but I had surgery on my club foot at birth, so at 21 I was first prescribed pain killers to cure it, which led to this entire mess!

Thanks for your time,

Hockeyplayer17

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:54 am 

I wish it surprised me that your Walgreen's pharmacist switched brands on you, but it doesn't. I know that pharmacists must know that not all generics are equal! I'm sure they didn't inform you about the switch because they were hoping that you wouldn't make a fuss over the change.

I found a thread from last fall that talked about the Hi-tech subutex: http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7538

I've read a couple of your posts today in which you've mentioned your cousin. I'm so sorry that she died. That is so sad...and it must have been a tough blow to you and your family. If I lost one of my cousins I'd be pretty devastated. Do they think that she had an asthma attack while on opiates, or did she just take a big enough dose to depress her respiratory system too much?

I am so sorry for your loss. :(

Amy

P.S. I'm going to move your thread to the Damn Pharmacists section, because it fits that category so well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

well my "story" isn't to do with subutex but it IS to do with switching generics and
the "hollier than thou" attitude.........

so Im on generic adderall cuz the name brand is like 300 bucks for the same sixty generic it's $120
Anyways,
the pharmacy changed brands on ME and didn't say anything either,
I didn't even NOTICE though, until my stomach started hurting, and I felt like I was gonna PUKE every
morning for a week..... then I was like HMMMMM what the F is the problem???

I take a second look at my adhd meds, and BAM there's the culprit!! I stop taking them
and NO STOMACH ACHES.......
I take the remainder of the script back to the pharmacy, and the guy tells me the SAME THING you were told,

"they are the IDENTICAL active ingrediant"

I say, well something SOME THING IS making me SICK!!! and when I do NOT take these, then IM NOT SICK!!!

so he proceeds to recomend the "name brand" I say, SURE if YOUR GOING TO PAY FOR IT!!!!!!!
and I actually agreed, to "trade" what I had, for the name brand, but THAT was big NO NO apparently,
I said, okay, then how bout a refund, so I can get a new script from my doctor?
NOPE
wouldn't do that, either......
so I just went to my doctor, early and brought the bottle in with me, one of my old bottles, proving they changed
brands,and it wasn't a big deal, BUT
I still had to "EAT" the hundred bucks I spent, ya know?

I hated, just hated, how the guy TOLD ME, how MY MEDS worked, ya know????

~~~RANT OVER~~~~

it's frustrating......

and you do NOT have to defend your desire to stay on subutex long term to ME, that's for sure.....
Im so scared of WHO I used to be,,,,,, I'd much rather see my dr. every couple months, and take a maintenance
dose of suboxone, than go back to THAT LIFE.......

peace

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've had more than one run-in with pharmacists about Suboxone, so i understand your frustration. One thing you said to the pharmacist jumped out at me, and it might help NOT to say it if you have to debate a pharmacist in the future. That is, you take the 2mg pieces "as needed". Suboxone is never, ever written to be taken as needed unless it is strictly for pain and not for addiction. The idea with Sub is that you reach a steady state and you dose once a day just to maintain that state. It works because Sub has a 36+ hour half life. I understand you are actually cutting them because youre only taking 2mg/day. In that case say the doc wants you to take "divided doses". I know it sounds like nit picking, but, trust me, it makes a difference. When they hear you are taking Sub "as needed" they think you are abusing the med.
You are very lucky to have a doc give you generic Subutex! Most docs insist making patients pay for the name brand Suboxone for no medical reason other than that RB has convinced them it is somehow "safer" just so they can line their pockets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
I wish it surprised me that your Walgreen's pharmacist switched brands on you, but it doesn't. I know that pharmacists must know that not all generics are equal! I'm sure they didn't inform you about the switch because they were hoping that you wouldn't make a fuss over the change.

I found a thread from last fall that talked about the Hi-tech subutex: http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7538

I've read a couple of your posts today in which you've mentioned your cousin. I'm so sorry that she died. That is so sad...and it must have been a tough blow to you and your family. If I lost one of my cousins I'd be pretty devastated. Do they think that she had an asthma attack while on opiates, or did she just take a big enough dose to depress her respiratory system too much?

I am so sorry for your loss. :(

Amy

P.S. I'm going to move your thread to the Damn Pharmacists section, because it fits that category so well.

Thanks for the response, and proper placement of my thread.

As for my cousin, she definitely overdosed... but what might be an overdose to her, might not be to others due to her severe asthma. She had problems breathing at times when NOT on opiates... can't imagine how she felt when she was on meds. I'm not exactly sure how much she ingested, or how, but I do know she had be hospitalized THREE times within the last two years, and the first time she was actually in a coma for like almost a week. It's so surreal because we had almost gone through her death like three times since she lives across the country.. we couldn't be there to see her. When she pulled through we only could hope she'd get better, but like any addict that truly doesn't want to stop using 100%... she couldn't quit. It also didn't help she had a boyfriend who was... let's say... from a much lower class of life than we were all raised. He was definitely an enabler and a pure junkie if I've ever seen one. I hate to say it but this guy was just pure trash. I have no clue what she saw in him. I hate to speak of people like this, but if your still using opiates right after your girlfriend dies on your couch... well I'm not sure what can make him stop. It also didn't help that her parents were desperately trying to get her away from him for the entire 1.5 years they were together.... but she would always eventually return to him, and overdose. So this was something everyone saw coming but you expect after surviving a few OD's you would wake up and get the heck away from him... but she was stuck :( I do know he turned her onto heroin after the oxycontins supposedly were made tamper proof. I believe he was the one who shot her up... but he supposedly wasn't home when she died... pretty strange... and by the time paramedics arrived she was pronounced DOA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Lillyval wrote:
I've had more than one run-in with pharmacists about Suboxone, so i understand your frustration. One thing you said to the pharmacist jumped out at me, and it might help NOT to say it if you have to debate a pharmacist in the future. That is, you take the 2mg pieces "as needed". Suboxone is never, ever written to be taken as needed unless it is strictly for pain and not for addiction. The idea with Sub is that you reach a steady state and you dose once a day just to maintain that state. It works because Sub has a 36+ hour half life. I understand you are actually cutting them because youre only taking 2mg/day. In that case say the doc wants you to take "divided doses". I know it sounds like nit picking, but, trust me, it makes a difference. When they hear you are taking Sub "as needed" they think you are abusing the med.
You are very lucky to have a doc give you generic Subutex! Most docs insist making patients pay for the name brand Suboxone for no medical reason other than that RB has convinced them it is somehow "safer" just so they can line their pockets.

I actually did tell her my doctor has me take the 4 dosages of 2mg throughout the day as I've been on it for 3+ years and the medicine is so long lasting. and somewhat mental when you take a dose you know? and she said "he needs to write it like that" which I understand, but its not like im a new patient, I then told her he doesn't write out specific instructions because I've been stabilized on if for so long. She probably knew that I save my medicine (by only taking 2mg a day) but my Doctor is perfectly OK with that. He really trusts his patients who don't have a history of relapsing. This pharmacist was just a nasty bitch who probably has no idea about the medicine subutex/suboxone. I understand she was doing her job... but she was really nasty... almost like she WANTED to push that brand of Subutex which made me really mad. Oh well, I'll just go to CVS from now on...

Post subject: the hi-tec i like
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i think they good, but i only tried those and roxane, id like to try the tevas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:38 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My doctor told me that I could take my Sub as I found it necessary to get through the day. I told him that for me its 2mg pieces like you are doing as well. He will NOT write me anything but Suboxone, but now that the generic which is still expensive is out I do have that much of a choice. I have begged and asked for his reasoning why and he says that its illegal for doctors to write it but for pregnant women and we all know better. There was even a patient in the waiting room who tried to tell me that Subutex has a opiate in it that Suboxone doesn't, and because there is no Naloxone in it that is why they cant write it. I wasn't going to argue with her, because I tried to tell her different.
I did find however that the new generic at Goodrx.com with a coupon for 30 8mg pills is 121.00. That price is for Walgreens (yea I know), but for like nine different locations. I do want to see if they will accept it however, because if they don't I will fly in on them. I don't like when they try to act like because they are filling your meds, you owe them something.
Kroger used to have that holier than thou attitude where we live at and after my doctor called them and give them a good chewing, they didn't treat me that way anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Eveleivibe wrote:
Not now please.

I love how this thread, because I stated facts, makes it look like I'm abusing the person who posted.

Everyone trying to get clean, you have my best---I'm with you and we all know it's not easy. It's hard. But you have to actually try or you can't get there. Thanks.

Last edited by flair1 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:26 am 

The negative bantering has been deleted. One is left to give members an idea of what occurred.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Lillyval wrote:

My doctor writes on my script 2 a day as needed. He has always told me that it was ok to do the divided doses when I need them, but I only take 1 a day to cut down costs. He has never really pushed the once a day on me, he wants me to be very comfortable. I understand also that you are just explaining it but I just wanted to explain my side too, I just want folks to know I aint trying to step on toes or anything.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I personally have had many issues with Walgreen's. One of their pharmacists is very nice and sympathetic but the other two are hard asses and they do look down on you for being an addict.

So needless to say after my experience this month, I will be going over to Peoples Pharmacy where I have never had any problems and the Pharmacists are more of a mom and pop. I don't want to switch because this mom and pop place does not always have Suboxone in stock and there is only one here in Austin. Walgreen's always has Suboxone in stock, but....the pharmacists are so rude there that I can't bear to go back.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

raudy1975 wrote:
I personally have had many issues with Walgreen's. One of their pharmacists is very nice and sympathetic but the other two are hard asses and they do look down on you for being an addict.

That's called Good Cop Bad Cop routine. But, pharmacists shouldn't act like cops at all! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've popped in to lurk here from time to time over the last couple of years. This is my first posting - and I'm ridiculing someone. Sorry. But so many loons ....

"Needless to say, I was FURIOUS! " - I picked up my RX from Walgreens the other day, only to get home and see that they switched my medication to the "New"Hi-tech" 8mg Suboxone."

"... she tries telling me it's the same medicine, and then I told her the last time I switched medication brands I had a reaction (complete lie) ..."
Your words - a complete lie.

"So the Walgreens manager continues to try to talk me into the new brand and I say 'no thanks' I just want to go to CVS since they have my meds, AND its actually cheaper by a few bucks than Walgreens now.
She had no hesitation to give me my script back and send me on my way. She was so rude... I said "well doesn't Walmart notify patients when there is a change is their medicine?" and she sarcastically says "Your (sic) not at Walmart, sir." So I repeat the question using Walgreens, and she tells me "NO not if its the same dosage and active ingredient, there's no need to and no policy on that."

In an attempt to satisfy your unreasonable demands, she gave you back your money and 'had no hesitation' giving you back your prescription (that bitch!). Returned drugs may not be returned to stock in most states (retail pharmacy). So, 'Here is your money and your original prescription - which we now have to un-process through our system, your insurance, the state prescription drug monitoring program, etc. We'll just eat the cost on the returned pills which we are not permitted to sell - because you decided (after getting home) that the brown M & Ms make you FURIOUS.'

"I didn't even try one of those HI-TECH pills as I KNEW they would mess up my entire routine that has been working for 3 years. I swear though... it's starting to feel like I'm chasing down painkillers again looking for certain brands, etc." -
You summed that up pretty well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:19 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Lillyval wrote:

Lillyval's statement is dead-on accurate. And that's Reckitt lining their pockets, not the docs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just had a similar experience at CVS Pharmacy. I had just switched pharmacies, to CVS. I asked the pharmacist which brand they used for generic buprenorphine. He told me that they used Roxane Labs. I explained that I was having serious adverse effects with the Hi Tech brand. After submitting my script, I called-in every few days, but the script was not ready. Almost 1 week later it was ready. When I picked it up, the pharmacist had ordered the Hi Tech brand! And it was actually more expensive, compared to the same Hi Tech brand, at a small local pharmacy. I was given no explanation, and no options.

I took the script, and I got sick again.

Here is my full post, under a similar topic, on this site: http://www.suboxforum.com/one-week-taking-tech-generic-subutex-t7538.html#p102475

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Gener-pilz. It appears you just signed up here so welcome. You likely don't realize it but you are responding to all sorts of rather old posts that have not been active in some cases for many years. You may want to check the dates of the last post before you respond because it's unlikely most people involved in these old discussions even show up here anymore. You may want to stick to the current discussions.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the info. I realize that these posts are old. But, when people do a search for "generic buprenorphine", on Google, these posts show up on the first page (that's how I found it). So, I assume that many people might be reading the posts, even if they are not members.

If you have any links to more recent posts for the generics, please post them, and I will post my links on the more recent posts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:05 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello,

I've been on subutex for a very long time, I tapered myself down to a current dose of 3mg, and have been at that for a long while. I use to get my prescription filled at Rite Aid. One day they quit giving me Roxane brand and had switched to Hi-tech. I felt terrible terrible taking the Hi-tech brand. It seemed to not work. Rite Aid could do nothing about it. So I switched pharmacies.

I've now had my prescription filled at Pharmaca for the past year. At first they could get Roxane brand, but that eventually became on back order and I was switched to Mylan brand. This was ok for me, same as Roxane. Well yesterday I picked up my latest prescription. (I must see my doctor every month) and I see that it's the old Hi Tech brand again! I just took my dose, but I am concerned. The last time I had Hi Tech, about halfway through my day I began feeling bad. Anxious and just not good. I will see what happens today, but like I said I am worried. It's a huge pain in the neck, constantly trying to get this stuff sorted with the pharmacies.