It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:30 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been on sub since June. This is my 3rd attempt and so far my most successful.
Today's hard though. I went to fill my prescription at the Walgreens that I have used this whole time without incident. I always have waited for my prescription to save gas. This time, they told me that starting this past Friday they have a new policy that forbids suboxone customers from waiting for their prescription. They told me that I would have to go and come back in 2 hours.
How is discrimination like this legal? What is the point of it even? Has anyone else run into this problem?
This is the closest to relapsing that I have come this go round. If I am being treated like an addict regardless, I might as well enjoy myself.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:03 pm 

Please remember, Jenna, that you are in this for yourself, not to prove something to some idiot pharmacist! By the way, did they say that this policy just for buprenorphine or also for other opiates? If this particular Walgreens has had trouble with dealers loitering around waiting to prey upon those who just picked up their meds, I can understand them wanting to change things up. That is the ONLY possible reason I can think of for this stupid and misguided policy.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:41 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello Jenna & congrats on your recovery

Just wanted to say in my opinion it is normal to feel like people are treating you differently just because you are a drug addict. Because they most likely do. lol. I have felt the same way plenty of times in many different situations for years but you just have to learn to ignore it because it happens a lot and will probably never stop and you just cant let it get to you. In most cases our life literally depends on it. So dont let someones opinion (especially strangers) of you affect how you feel about yourself & your addiction and give you the urge to use again. What they think about you is not important. You will eventually learn to just ignore it when people are judging you and treating you like a "junkie". Drug addiction has such a huge stigma attached to it and people aren't very educated about it (including some people in the medical field). Just stay strong, dont let peoples ignorance get you down. And DEFINITELY dont let it lead to another relapse!!

Is there any other pharmacy around you can use instead?? maybe on your way home or on your way to work? if coming back later is a big inconvenience for you?? If not I guess you just have to deal with it and it sucks but it totally understandable after reading amy's comment about people possibly selling their scripts outside. I know its annoying and hurtful when people lump addicts into one big group that we all sell our suboxone scripts or all do this or that and that we are evil or the scum of the earth but I have just gotten used to it honestly and realize that it is kinda understandable for some people to think that way if they aren't very educated about addiction and recovery. They are probably just trying to cover their ass and perhaps yours too? But I can guarantee they aren't just doing it to screw with you. lol there is a reasonable explanation for them doing that. maybe if you talk to one of the head pharmacists and tell them that where you live is far away (or whatever the problem is) and would be a problem to not be able to wait for it. or maybe they will let you get a partial fill right away and you can pick up the rest on another day? I would ask about that, might work.

& you said "If I am being treated like an addict regardless, I might as well enjoy myself." Just made me think, if you were really enjoying yourself then why are you back on suboxone for a 3rd time?? you cant think of it like that. you MUST force yourself to think about how terrible your life was while using, or how much guilt & shame you felt every single day, waking up sick &/or worrying about not being sick (whatever your situation was/is). Obviously something happened to where you weren't enjoying yourself or you wouldn't be where you are now. It is easy for us to think like that and just say "fuck it!" But you have to understand that you deserve to live a life not controlled by drugs and you just have to really think back and remember everything, not just the "good times". I'm sure there is a damn good reason you wanted to get clean 3 times. Remember that.

STAY STRONG! You can do this!! :D

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jennabug, I too had a bad experience with Walgreens. They are just 2 blocks away from my Suboxone Dr. Anyway, I went the first month after leaving the Subxone Dr. straight to Walgreens because it was convenient at the time to get my script filled. No problems. But the second month, they refused to fill the script saying that they did not know the Dr. well even though he was just 2 blocks down. And then they told me to go to a new pharmacist. Well I just took the script to my regular Pharmacist that I had used over the past years. I really didn't want to use that one but it has all worked out. I told my Suboxone Dr. about Walgreens discrimination and they informed me they will no longer sent patients to Walgreens. Welcome Jennabug. Angie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I had an awful experience at Walgreens. It was when I first stated on subs. My Dr and I were trying to get my dosing correct and he raised my dose a couple of times until I felt comfortable. I walked into Walgreens with a legit script and went to fill it. The pharmacy tech said I will have to call your Dr. my Dr told her that yes he had written the script and yes it could be filled. The tech came out from behind the counter and said I have talked to your Dr and he did tell us that you script is legit, however we don't have to fill it and we won't. I ended up taking this experience up to Walgreens corporate office. The regional pharmacy manager did call, but just feed me with a ton of excuses.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Pharmacies are gaining way too much power.
There's noway they should be able to reject a legitimate prescription, but it's happening more and more.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Pharmacies have a lot more power that people know. It'd a da gum shame when you go pay money to go to the Dr. to get a script THEN get to the pharmacy and they wont fill the script because they don't like the Dr. We had a terrible incident here in Alabama where a pain Dr.'s scripts were not being filled ANYWHERE! And people were getting sick and driving for hours just to get to a pharmacy where the script could get filled. That was a very good incentive for me to get off methadone then. I had a hell of a time. Luckily my parents were keeping my meds under lock and key and I had about a months worth to wean down from. It wasn't the Dr.'s fault either. He wrote me a script of methadone to wean off of but I couldn't get it filled anywhere. That right there scares me to this day. What if they decide not to fill the Suboxone next. OMG! Bama girl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Jenna, Sadie and Bama and all. Thanks! your specific posts describe Walgreen 'secret checklist' info I read a few yrs ago and quickly dug up.

When folks have some time, read below. Maybe buprenorphine meds are caught up in this? I could not find a source that said buprenorphine is on their 'secret checklist' but from reports on this forum, makes me wonder...

Walgreens introduced its Good Faith Dispensing Policy and GFD checklist after it was embroiled in a massive investigation by the US Department of Justice and US Drug Enforcement Administration. Federal agents in ~2011 targeted Walgreens drug stores and a Walgreens distribution center in Florida, where they caught the company repeatedly filling bogus prescriptions for pain pills resulting in an $80 million fine and required nationwide company changes to reduce opioid drug abuse.
Full article: http://www.wthr.com/article/walgreens-s ... pain-pills

2 Pharmacists respond to American Medical Association's response to Walgreens drug store intrusion into Dr's prescribing practices.
http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/dr ... -speak-out

Walgreens crackdown affects patients.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/22/5133 ... -need-them

Is Walgreens opiate policy deceptive?
http://paindr.com/is-walgreens-opiate-policy-deceptive/

CVS also has policies, currently more of a data analytic focus.
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1308222

CVS Sept 2016 Massachusetts requires chain to check State's prescription drug monitoring database.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/ ... story.html

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow, Pelican! Thank you so much for posting all this. I have thoroughly enjoyed my evening reading into this. Makes so much since but dang, can get complicated for the pain patients. I really feel for the Hospice patients. "Everyone - everyone who has a pain prescription is being treated as a suspected criminal,". Dr. Debra Peel, founder of the Patient Privacy Rights Foundation, told WTHR. "We need programs that target the abusers, that don't treat everyone as an abuser. That's the real problem with this. It's highly offensive." Easier said than done I imagine. I like the idea Walgreens has of an online complaint form for Dr. and patients who are having difficulty in getting prescriptions filled, though not sure using this will accomplish much. What gets me is when Walgreens turns you away, they also notify the DEA of who they turned away and the Dr. who wrote the prescription, so mine and my Dr.'s name is out there some where with a black X mark beside it. Doubt I'll be going back to Walgreens. Thanks again for posting. I love stuff like this and I learned a lot. :D :D :D