It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I waited 24 hours after my last dose of h to start with 1 mg of Suboxone but that only threw me into precipitated withdrawals. It only lasted about 4 hours and that was last night. I was able to get a good night's rest but woke up still feeling crappy. Where am I at now? Do I continue taking the subs? Do I have to wait another 24 hours?

I am sorry for the stupid questions but I am just not sure on the treatment of this drug and I appreciate any and all feedback thank you.

Is there a phone number for me to call? If I gave you my phone number can someone call me?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It would be helpful to know amounts and length of time you have been using.
I'm assuming you have a fairly high tolerance if you have progressed to heroin.
Are you under a clinicians care and planning on maintenance or doing a home brew detox?
If you did not take a full agonist (heroin etc.) to get over the PW then you would be fine to continue with your prescribed dosage of Suboxone. Consider taking it in small increments, 2 mg at a time until you feel better. It may take a while, perhaps 2 to 3 days until your tolerance from the heroin matches what you get from the Suboxone. From heroin people often end up taking 12-16 mg daily.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

docm2 wrote:
It would be helpful to know amounts and length of time you have been using.
I'm assuming you have a fairly high tolerance if you have progressed to heroin.
Are you under a clinicians care and planning on maintenance or doing a home brew detox?
If you did not take a full agonist (heroin etc.) to get over the PW then you would be fine to continue with your prescribed dosage of Suboxone. Consider taking it in small increments, 2 mg at a time until you feel better. It may take a while, perhaps 2 to 3 days until your tolerance from the heroin matches what you get from the Suboxone. From heroin people often end up taking 12-16 mg daily.

I've only been using heroin for a couple months about a gram every 3 days. I am under doctor's care but I just went to see him and all he did was prescribe me Subutex and send me home

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So, were you a casual user? Do you have withdrawals if you don't dose? Have you tried just a detox with comfort meds. If you don't meet the criteria for addiction, your time of use is brief, you might be better off doing a detox and meetings/counseling. If they don't work then Suboxone is an option. Understand, that for most people, once starting Suboxone you are on it for the long haul.
Below is the criteria for opioid dependence from the DSM 5, published by the American Psychiatric Association.

Quote:
1.Taking the opioid in larger amounts and for longer than intended
2.Wanting to cut down or quit but not being able to do it
3.Spending a lot of time obtaining the opioid
4.Craving or a strong desire to use opioids
5.Repeatedly unable to carry out major obligations at work, school, or home due to opioid use
6.Continued use despite persistent or recurring social or interpersonal problems caused or made worse by opioid use
7.Stopping or reducing important social, occupational, or recreational activities due to opioid use
8.Recurrent use of opioids in physically hazardous situations
9.Consistent use of opioids despite acknowledgment of persistent or recurrent physical or psychological difficulties from using opioids
10.*Tolerance as defined by either a need for markedly increased amounts to achieve intoxication or desired effect or markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount. (Does not apply for diminished effect when used appropriately under medical supervision)
11.*Withdrawal manifesting as either characteristic syndrome or the substance is used to avoid withdrawal (Does not apply when used appropriately under medical supervision)

*This criterion is not considered to be met for those individuals taking opioids solely under appropriate medical supervision.
Generally, I don't prescribe Suboxone unless a person meets criteria for 'severe' and using at least 6 months.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:29 pm 

That's one awesome post docm2! Thank you so much for posting that!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

docm2 wrote:
So, were you a casual user? Do you have withdrawals if you don't dose? Have you tried just a detox with comfort meds. If you don't meet the criteria for addiction, your time of use is brief, you might be better off doing a detox and meetings/counseling. If they don't work then Suboxone is an option. Understand, that for most people, once starting Suboxone you are on it for the long haul.
Below is the criteria for opioid dependence from the DSM 5, published by the American Psychiatric Association.

Quote:
1.Taking the opioid in larger amounts and for longer than intended
2.Wanting to cut down or quit but not being able to do it
3.Spending a lot of time obtaining the opioid
4.Craving or a strong desire to use opioids
5.Repeatedly unable to carry out major obligations at work, school, or home due to opioid use
6.Continued use despite persistent or recurring social or interpersonal problems caused or made worse by opioid use
7.Stopping or reducing important social, occupational, or recreational activities due to opioid use
8.Recurrent use of opioids in physically hazardous situations
9.Consistent use of opioids despite acknowledgment of persistent or recurrent physical or psychological difficulties from using opioids
10.*Tolerance as defined by either a need for markedly increased amounts to achieve intoxication or desired effect or markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount. (Does not apply for diminished effect when used appropriately under medical supervision)
11.*Withdrawal manifesting as either characteristic syndrome or the substance is used to avoid withdrawal (Does not apply when used appropriately under medical supervision)

*This criterion is not considered to be met for those individuals taking opioids solely under appropriate medical supervision.
Generally, I don't prescribe Suboxone unless a person meets criteria for 'severe' and using at least 6 months.

I used everyday for the past 2 months. About 2 to 3 grams a week. I tried to slow it down and the withdrawals set in. That's what led me to the sub Dr. 40 hrs now and still in P/W

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also.... 10 years ago I had a 5 year habbit. I just never would had thought it would hit me this much.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:08 pm 

Ok so since friday you have not taken any more heroin right?
From what I read here you ve taken very little sub. And 40 some hours,have gone by . Imo you have not
taken enough sub at this point.
How much more have you taken since,seeing your dr today?
Plus it was good you slept the night lastnight. Hope your doing better this evening excelon..

Razor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:06 pm 

Hi Exelon,

Hopefully you were able to transition on to Suboxone from your H habit successfully. Not knowing exactly how high your tolerance was you may be okay being off it for 24 hours, so says the good Dr. J in his blog. (see link)

Even if you do have some PW's, they will lessen over 3 days until all is good. This is why we always ask new members to do some research here on their own. Being an addict myself, I completely understand the need for knowing the answer immediately. We sure don't like waiting if we are going through any kind of withdrawal symptoms.

So please, be kind enough to let us know how it turns out and if our forum helped you. That is what we are here for.

Here is the link to answer some of the questions you had:

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/waiting-for-suboxone-after-heroin/