It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Vivitrol
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Anyone used this as a post-taper insurance policy?

I have experience with naltrexone, but I'm particularly interested in Vivitrol, even the implants.

I've heard some horror stories about the implants (people ripping them out in moments of desperation to use, body rejection, not lasting as long as advertised), but I spoke to someone earlier in the week who claims that naltrexone removes all his cravings for opiates - to the point where the thought of being near it makes him sick. He was on the pills, and was getting his first shot of Vivitrol later that day.

My experience with naltrexone wasn't so rosey. I was on the pills, still wanted to use - so I'd just skip my pills now and then and act out. A bit of a futile exercise honestly. I'm just curious if other people have done well on the implants / depot injection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:44 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I havent heard of vivitrol but my son had the revia implant about 6 years ago ( he had a bad heroine habit) they did the rapid detox prior to inserting the implant ( the coleman institute did it ) and although it stopped him from getting high on heroine he just switched to meth till the implant dissolved ( lasted 3 months) however ..... he was a minor at the time and IT WAS MY CHOICE to have him go thru that he was not ready to be sober.. ( thank god he is sober now) but it did block the high from opiates .. he did tell me he shot up with the implant and it was a waste of good dope ( his words)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mg113 wrote:
my son had the revia implant about 6 years ago ( he had a bad heroine habit) they did the rapid detox prior to inserting the implant ( the coleman institute did it ) and although it stopped him from getting high on heroine he just switched to meth till the implant dissolved ( lasted 3 months) however .....

Glad to hear your son is doing well now.

This was another common scenario - simply switching to speed / coke / whatever til the implant goes through its course.

I knew people who were genuinely determined to get off gear though and chose the implant. Their issue however was that they completely underestimated the motivation & determination required to keep them off the gear in the long term. Maybe they thought the implant would "cure" them completely, then when it eventually wore off and their addiction came out of hibernation, they were off once again.

This begs the question. In order to truly recover, must one actually have the option to use and learn the skills to say "no" instead of have something external remove the option of using completely, as with the naltrexone? eg people who do geographicals to areas there's little or no gear often pick-up again when they return home to where there's the option to use again...

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:43 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

This begs the question. In order to truly recover, must one actually have the option to use and learn the skills to say "no" instead of have something external remove the option of using completely, as with the naltrexone? eg people who do geographicals to areas there's little or no gear often pick-up again when they return home to where there's the option to use again...

There were a circle of 10 of my sons friends and him using, us parents thought this was the cure ( even thoughI knew better as a recovering addict) and I would say in hind sight you have to want to stop and use all tools available to you to stay sober.. its not a magic bullet