It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Vivitrol shot in a week
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:57 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I've been addicted to opiates for several years and been on suboxone for the last 2 years (no prescription. I obtained it through friends). I got into some trouble, and due to some old charges, I have to serve 5 years probation :( . I know they test for suboxone here, so I have no choice but to quit at this point, unless I get a prescription, which even then I'm not sure if they will allow it. I'm going to get a vivitrol shot. I'm scheduled to go into the clinic Monday (2 days) to get some stuff for comfort, to get me through the 7 day detox. I know by the time the day comes to get the shot, I will feel like hell. I have 2 kids to take care of and I'm not looking forward to this at all. If I knew whether or not with a prescription, they would let me stay on it, I might just do that, but I don't know and I'm not risking it. If I violate, I go to prison for 30% of my probation sentence (almost 2 years). Has anyone ever tried the vivitrol shot? I'm curious because I'm afraid it will not work for me. I have a terrible addictive nature. I've tried to taper off, but it seems impossible for me. If I have it, I do it. I will fight the urge to redose all day long after my morning dose every day. Does anyone have any knowledge whether probation officers allow you to continue suboxone use with a prescription? Or does the vivitrol shot stop the withdrawals I know I will be suffering when I get the shot? Thanks a bunch!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:56 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

This is probably useless babble as I have really no idea on your questions so keep in mind this is just an opinion..I cant imagine that WITH A LEGITIMATE PRESCRIPTION that they wouldn't allow u to take it..I have heard of people going through pure hell while actually locked up because they were denied it but if they were to say to everyone on probation you can't have legally prescribed medication that is for actual treatment that just seems crazy...I definitely would ask my probation officer for sure or my attorney..There are really some knowledgeable people here and I'm sure someone will come along soon that has better info than me ...wish you the best of luck and let us know how I goes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi M

I can share my son's experience with probation and suboxone. He was on probation for a long time, and the entire time they knew he was taking sub. It was no problem at all.

What i do have to tell you is the Probation Officer called his doctor to make sure he was telling the truth about both having a legal script and the amount he could take daily.

Have you googled info about vivitrol? I know nothing really about it but for some reason i thought it was just to help with cravings and block any opiates so there is no high. Again, i don't know that for a fact.

You have an important decision to make. Maybe if you write the pro's and con's down it will help. Have you relapsed while taking sub? Are you a better person on sub? Are you putting your life back on sub? You may also be able to find your answer if you google something like...NY (put your state) & sub on probation. Your answer may be in cyber space LOL

I feel for you and also wish you the best of luck :)

E

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:05 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you for your advice and encouragement! I really, really appreciate it. Since I've started taking suboxone, I've been going to school full time, making all A's. I've been a way better mother to my kids. I don't want to quit taking it, for fear I'll start up my old habits. That's why I was thinking of getting the shot, but I've read horror stories about the shot, and I'm scared to death of the next 7 days I have to detox before getting the shot. The only thing I dislike about suboxone, is that the w/d last so long. On occasion, when I can't find any, and I start w/d, it knocks me on my ass. I'm going to do some more research and make some phone calls before I make my decision. In a way, I want to be off of everything, but I know myself. I would probably start seeking out other things as soon as the vivitrol wears off. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Vivitrol is not intended to help with cravings. It will only totally block opiate receptors not fill them. You also must understand that if you do have cravings and succumb to taking an opiate, while it will do nothing for you - you might as well take a sugar cube - it will be found in your blood and urine causing a positive drug screen for whatever you took. My concern is you'll not feel the drug at all, crave it, take it and test positive.

From everything you are saying it sounds like you need to get on sub from a doctor. I was on probation while on sub. Even though they did not test for it, I told my PO about it and he had no issue after verifying with my doc. For a while i was his only "client" on it. As time went on he had more.

I've heard stories of POs trying to force someone off sub. The thing is, they can only do what the judge says. They simplly follow the judges sentence. Of course if challanged they can make your life miserable in other ways. Your best bet if he has an issue is an attorney followed by having your doc write a letter to the jupdge stating why sub is so important to your life. I'm hearing less and less PO concerns than in the past, even though most drug courts still don't allow it. Good POs want you to succeed. Mine told me "why would I stop a treatment that has worked for you for 18 months?" I could not agree more.

I do have to say, as a then 47 year old successful businessman that stands up to pretty much anyone, I suspect I had a different relationship with my PO than many. I was very polite, did what was asked but very firm in asserting my rights. They know who they can screw with and who will get them in trouble if they step outside of their boundaries. I was moved to low intencity quickly and dropped about half way through. It really was no issue at all in my case.