It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:05 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey guys,
So I got the vivtrol shot yesterday and it did something to me because I feel better than I have felt since getting off opiates. I got off suboxone in June, but had a few slips with oxy after. The last slip lasted 1 day, but immediately brought back my withdrawals the following day! that was about a month ago. Ever since, I have felt "ok," suffering from some definite PAWS. I was feeling this slightly uncomfortable feeling that I have continued to refer to as a "rawness" under my skin. I was irritable and uncomfortable in my skin and it felt like only opiates could plug that up(which is why I slipped).

Amazingly, I went for my first shot of vivtrol yesterday and while walking out I noticed I felt better! It felt like the medication plugged up my opiate receptors and quieted them down. I dont know if this is a placebo effect but for the first time since coming off opiates, I feel 100%! My PAWS is gone! Has anyone else experienced this with the shot. I took the nalaxone pills before and never had this experience. All my cravings are gone completely; it almost feels like I am on suboxone but without any of the side effects or physical dependency! If this is an actual effect of the medication I highly highly recommend it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Livin!

Thanks for the post. I have often wondered about that shot. It's good to see a post from someone who has tried it! I wonder if that is a normal response, I've heard it was supposed to take away cravings, but I was doubtful if it actually worked.

Just out of curiosity. Did you have to pay cash for it or did your insurance cover it? I know it's very expensive, the financial cost unfortunately will keep alot of people from trying it.

Q

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:41 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I knew it would block my ability to use but like you I was doubtful about he cravings part. It has not only lifted my cravings but has somehow taken away my PAWS. I was fully covered by insurance so I paid nothing. I know it's like $2000 out of pocket so you definitely need insurance for the shot.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey l i v i n,

There's a member here who talked about how Naltrexone helped some people with cravings and feeling better, but he also mentioned it didn't affect everyone the same way. Tearjerker is the member I'm talking about.

From what he wrote about Naltrexone, I'd say your experience is normal. It is interesting how the Naltrexone pills didn't work for you, but the shot did. Hey, as long as it's working, who cares, right? :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:28 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

hey romeo,

yes, its very strange that I didnt have the same effects from the pills. Maybe its because the shot is a higher dose? idk but I am not going to complain. I just know that my cravings were too much for me to handle. I have been going to 12 step meetings, which has given me great support and perspective on my addiction/problems, but those random and strong cravings that come out of the blue kept halting my progress. This naltrexone is helping me get some easier clean time away from opiates so I can do some real work on the problems with my thinking. Hopefully the time away from the pills and help from the program will allow me to put this whole thing behind me once and for all. It really is true that the work begins after the withdrawals wear off. We are so focused on the outcome of getting off subs that we forget to think about what will come next in sobriety. This is the hard part!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ugh.. the empty/ raw feeling, yep. Glad you found something that seems to help! I hope the shot continues to work for you, it's a win-win situation.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I considered the shot but even with insurance it was going to cost me $600 out of pocket per month. This can be a bit of a downer as i was on board from day 1 to go this route. I understand pharmacy is a business but my goodness this has to be keeping soooo many people from bettering themselves with the ludicrous pricing. Sorry to go on a tangent but i hope this is a step in the right direction for you and you keep on progressing. Good luck to you on recovery!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:33 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

thanks guys!

yes, just another way these companies are profiting off our misery. It makes no sense that the pill version of this drug costs nothing but the shot is thousands. It should be available to all opiate addicts. Fucking absurd. I hope you can do without it and can find other solutions. I needed the extra help.