It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

So I have officially been on suboxone for 6 days and going strong. I have been prescribed suboxone for 1 month tomorrow. I had a Dr. apointment last week and told my dr. that I was having trouble committing to the subs at first, and that I had been using on/off because of it (up until 6 days ago). He is a good dr. who really seems to care and I trust what he says. His plan is for me to be on the suboxone for 1 more month and then have me switch over to Naltraxone pills for 2 weeks. After that he wants (based on my initial questions about it on my first visit) to put me on Vivitrol monthly inhections.

This is where i'm getting nervous. I feel like I have kind of dug myself into a hole a little bit. I found Dr. Junig and these forums recently. Through reading articles and forum posts it seems to me that Suboxone maintenance would be a better decision. I know myself and my addiction, and I think that vivitrol might not be so effective this early in sobriety. Yes it will not allow me to use but, behaviorally it will not fix the problem.I don't know anything about it except that it is basically Naloxone that lasts a month.

My other concern is talking with my dr. about all of my concerns. Dr. Junig has written about hw dr.'s can have their ego hurt by me bringing them printouts of some website. I don't know what to do and a month is really not that far away. Right now I just want to focus on work and getting back into a routine, not stress out about medial things that may or may not happen. Any opinions? similar experiences? Prodigy out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Also I have an appointment on moday with him for my follow up. That will give me 12 days free of all drugs. I will have a UA and will be dropped from his care if I come up dirty. Will I be clean? was using maybe 1/2 gram a day of heroin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am not certain about your ua but I think you will be fine. Someone who's doc was heroin can probably answer it more accurately for you. With it's short half life I think you'd be clean.

If it were me in your shoes I would first explain what you did here to your Dr. I would tell him that you are interested in sub maintenance because you would like the time to work on your recovery. Explain that you fear a relapse if you were to be taking it for only a month. Hopefully your Dr will listen to you and if not you may have to find a new Dr.

I hope it goes well for you, keep us posted.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

StillProdigy wrote:
So I have officially been on suboxone for 6 days and going strong. I have been prescribed suboxone for 1 month tomorrow. I had a Dr. apointment last week and told my dr. that I was having trouble committing to the subs at first, and that I had been using on/off because of it (up until 6 days ago). He is a good dr. who really seems to care and I trust what he says. His plan is for me to be on the suboxone for 1 more month and then have me switch over to Naltraxone pills for 2 weeks. After that he wants (based on my initial questions about it on my first visit) to put me on Vivitrol monthly inhections.

From someone who's been on Naltrexone and is on Suboxone. I'm a bit sceptical of this direction.

Firstly, it's a lot harder to stay clean on naltrexone than on Suboxone. If you still have the desire to use, and you haven't proven you can stay clean on Suboxone, and your Doc expects the naltrexone to stop you from using, then he's in for a shock. I knew many people, myself included, who went on naltrexone as a way to put a leash on ourselves. I ended up spitting the tablets out when my girl gave them to me. As for the implant. I know someone in NA who cut it out of themselves when they wanted to use. The majority of people who still wanted to use, just switched to cocaine / meth / alcohol / whatever for a few months until the implant wore off. Vivitrol is a 30 day depot injection which you can't cut out, but people have been known to use in the days leading up to their next injection.

Your doc seems to be of the feeling that you kept using on Suboxone, so it's best to give you something that will make using impossible? Sadly, I've found there's a big gap between the theory and the reality with naltrexone.

The one clinic in my city that still prescribes Naltrexone has this philosophy for heroin addicts. If they can stay clean on methadone, then they're ready to try Suboxone. If a person can stay clean on Suboxone, then they're ready for naltrexone. Their ballpark definition of "staying clean" meant the patient proving themselves over at least 12 months.

I'm interested in the implants or vivitrol even for when I taper off Suboxone. After I've had at least 18-24 months stable drug free on Suboxone. I may get involved with that clinic again. The naltrexone won't be to stop myself from using, because it can't do that. If anything it'll be for a feeling of security. Nothing sucks more than the early recovery "what if I relapse oh no am I going to relapse" tape that likes to go on repeat. Depending on where I'm at, I may not even need it.

Naltrexone does work really well in a small extremely motivated group of addicts. For those who are still using, it actually increases the risk of overdose significantly. It's one of those weird drugs. People who use on it don't get high, but they still get respiratory depression, and can still overdose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:27 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Wow that Was exactly the sort of reply I was looking for. I don't really know why he wants to push it on me so bad. I talk about it in my first post here ever (yesterday) that I was the one who even brought up the topic of Vivitrol. There are many other sub dr.'s in my area and I guess worst comes to worst I have to find another that is willing for maintenance because I do know myself and like you said naltraxone can be a recipe for OD. I have a lot to think about. I still don't know if I should tell him i'm taking advice from forums and the internet, he is a nice dr. But each visit is less than 10 min. And he seems idk like he is the leading authority on suboxone. IDK I am not going to stress out about it as I cant change the situation. Thank you for your insight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't want to push you too much one way. Naltrexone has worked well for a lot of people! But at least most of the doctors I knew who prescribed it are apprehensive to prescribe it to patients who are still in & out of addiction.

The real risk of overdose is when people use after the naltrexone wears off. Naltrexone seems to reset people's tolerances to opiate-naive levels. A lot of people aren't informed of this enough, and use the quantities they're used to. That's very high risk.

In all fairness, I know two guys who used the implants and had some benefits. One got 2 x 6month implants and stayed off heroin a year, using crystal meth occasionally. But he managed to get a job and get his own flat. Another got implants over like 5 years. Kept getting them, and stayed mostly clean except he would use when the implant wore off before the next app't. Eventually his body rejected the implants, and he started using again. One guy is using again, the other is on Suboxone.

There was also a woman in NA who got implants for a year when she left rehab. She's still clean and in NA. The difference with her was that she did heaps of work on herself in the rooms & counselling. She was just afraid of relapsing too much when she left rehab, and wanted the extra security.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:09 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I definitely don't think you are pushing me either way. Honestly I think I already knew what to do but just wanted a second opinion. I believe that if this dr. Really honestly wants to help me he will see reason. I think that me being young and clean cut, maybe he thought my habit wasn't so bad. Looking back we really didnt get into my drug history at all i mean AT ALL. Maybe he didnt think I needed much treatment. I don't know, all I do know is that I want to stay clean this time and I really have a good quality of life on these subs so we will see what happens monday morning...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

How long have you been using for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:55 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Opiates for about 6 or 7 years with maybe 3 months sobriety total. All drugs since 11 with weed and coke at 13. Never been sober since 13. Also dont know if this matters but I am also a type 1 diabetic and that has been since I was 12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

And I thought I got into it young.

For sure give Suboxone a go. Get a taste of an addiction free life. Save up some of that money you'd normally blow on heroin, and go skydiving or something, go to gigs, travel, see movies. Just do stuff.

Post subject: Yessir!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:33 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I must say one of the best things about being on subs, besides the obvious, is how much energy I now have. I used to be an amazing golfer and the last two days have been hitting balls at the driving range. That was huge for me. It felt amazing. I am a strong believer that changing routine is a huge part of my recovery. I cannot be bored! I know what will happen. I also found out that my mom has a kinda popular blog that she wrote about me and my addiction. I read that and have been concidering starting my own or even working with hers...idk the options are unlimited, but for once seem feasible. Thanks tj, prodigy out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been hella bored sometimes these last 6 months because of the interferon, not working / studying. For the first time in my life I've been able to be bored, and not need to use because of it. And it's been a real milestone in a way, as I don't feel this frantic need to fill my time to stop myself relapsing.

All's I'm trying to say is. Boredom doesn't have to equal using. If an addict can 'sit with themselves' without using, then the rest comes a lot easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:33 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thats great that you can do that, honestly. I guess it might not be so hard this time, dealing with boredom. Last time I had clean time I had no internet, tv, xbox, nothing as I had pawned them all...ahhh the good old days. Could have been a major factor. I just hioe that someday I can work up to where you are at. To "be able to sit with myself", but for now I'm content with staying distracted