It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Vitamin B12 Anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:36 pm 

My nurse recommended B12 to help me deal with feeling sleepy due to the Suboxone. I'm currently on 8mg's and split it in half to avoid feeling too sleepy during the day. If I'm busy, it's okay. But driving, reading a computer screen, anything sedentary makes me feel really tired. Waves of fatigue hit me and it's very concerning.

But back to my original question. I took a time release 1200 mg (mcg?) B12 after breakfast this morning and man o' man, does that stuff work! I've never had that "5 Hour Energy" drink, but suspect it is a lot like this feeling. Just feeling really energized almost to the point of anxiety. I think the dose might be a bit too high but I can't cut them because they're time released.

Any experiences with B12 out there? Is there any harm to be done taking this large of dose? It can't be too harmful or it wouldn't have been on the shelf, would it? There isn't a warning about taking too much, in fact there is a sub-lingual method to take it too which gives a higher dose than what I took.

I'm just not sure I want to take it again tomorrow for work. I just don't feel right. Not bad, just not right.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Rule62

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey rule,

Shortly after I quit taking sub, I got started on a broad spectrum vitamin. I just looked up how much Vitamin B-12 it has...it contains 100mcg which according to the bottle is 1667% the daily recommended value. Anyway, I quit taking that vitamin for several days a while back and I noticed a difference fairly quickly. I went right back on the vitamin after seeing what happened when I quit.

I believe the real question about that dose of B-12 is whether it's a fat soluble vitamin or a water soluble vitamin. I just google searched it and it says B-12 is water soluble. If it were fat soluble, it would build up in your system and could cause problems.....at least that's my understanding of the difference between fat soluble and water soluble vitamins. Water soluble vitamins, such as B12, are dispersed in bodily fluids and eliminated through your urine.

It did say that B12 is stored in the liver though. I don't know if this presents a serious issue or not?

While I don't have experience with B12 solely, I know the multi-vitamin I take helps me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That 5 hour energy crap is just an overpriced caffeinated soft drink. I have a problem with tiredness on Sub, too. Someone recommended Emergen-C, which also has a lot of B vitamins. I know there's no harm in it, but it didn't really help my energy levels. Probably the best remedy, would be exercize.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Rule, I have exactly the same issues with sleepiness during sedentary activities (great oxymoron there). I am rx'd 12 mg of sub a day but I usually take 8 since that seems to be enough to control my cravings. When I am active I have no issues with drowsiness, but driving and and sitting in front of a computer screen (especially at work) I have real trouble sometimes. Driving is not bad now that I have been on sub a couple months but the computer, wow, I'm kind of surprised I haven't nodded off at work yet. Unfortunately my job is 100% sedentary, in front of the computer processing paperwork with an occasional phone call here and there. My coffee consumption has gone up about 500% and often it is of little help. Ditto Red Bull. I tried a 5 hour energy last week and it actually did help, which makes me think it was the B vitamins and not the caffeine that made the difference. Getting up and taking a walk helps for half an hour or so, but I can only do that so often before it will look like I'm slacking off on my work!

I'm sorry to hear that the B-12 seems to have had the anxiety side effect for you. Perhaps lowering the dosage would eliminate the anxiety but still help increase your energy level? I'm going to pick up some B-12 tomorrow and give it a try. I will check back and let you know the results. I'm also going to put in a call to my program nurse to see if she has any other suggestions. If she does I will pass them along. I've got to find some sort of solution to this issue. I have actually considered going off sub because of the drowsiness at work which would really be unfortunate because other than the drowsiness I feel more "normal" than I have felt since before first heavily abusing opiates 20+ years ago.

Namaste,

Anna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have chronic fatigue syndrome along with my fibromyalgia and one of the things that helps my fatigue is carnitor (AKA L-Carnitine). It's not a cheap supplement, but it works great for me. I also take a B-100 supplement as well as Vitamin D. These are all at the request of my rheumatologist specifically for my fatigue. I have no idea if this would help with the kind of sleepiness/fatigue that you all experience, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:28 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

maybe a lower dose of sub might help? Seems to me that in the USA they way overdose sub. I know in other countries they use doses like .02 and .08mg. Big difference. I dont understand why they dont make lower doses avail here.. sure would help those that want to wean down and off. BUt the trend here is stay on sub for life. I even hear folks being told by thier sub docs that unless you stay on it you WILL RELAPSE and poss die!. Well, sorta like if your mom told you over and over that your ugly.. you keep hearing it you believe it then it happens.

Got off on a tandrum but you might want to lower the dose a bit. I know for me I felt much better on 1 and 2 mg then I did at 8 and for sure 16 and higher. Just food for thought. OF course I am not a sub doctor or a MD at all. So might want to discuss this with your sub doc. Esp if your driving... that sound dangerous to me. Sorta like DUI..wonder if they will come up with a way to see if we are Driving while under the influcence of sub... they are testing for opiates and MJ now adays.
My friend who is a nurse said that they aonna add suboxone to the drug test where she works. When I first heard this it piss me off .. then I though well if RX by MD what can they do. The nurse said it is against policy to be on the methadone program and work as a nurese so I guess the sub falls into the same catagory. I think things are gonna change a lot in the next few yrs with drug testing on some jobs. I guess if you work as a landscapper you can get away with it. But jobs like nursing or bus drivers might have to go on the next cure for addiction.

I know when I was on the higher doses of sub it was dangerous for me to drive .... I had to keep the window open in the winter to help kept me alert at times. Like you I was good to go when moving around but when I was still I could nod out. uhmmmmmmm.. sorta the same when I was on other opiates. Had all the ernergy in the world when moving around. Soon as I sat down I was nodding out. Not sure why I didnt see this sooner.. but your post did bring it more to light for me.

Anyways.... might want to talk to your MD about the dose and being so sleepy... just might save your life or keep you from hurting someone else.

Best of health to ya
Birdie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When people are on those very low doses suboxone, which is a partial agonist, it acts more like a full agonist. Some people even describe feeling a sort of high from it at those doses. It doesn't usually come close to saturating the receptors much less keeping them saturated. This type of situation does not address cravings and generally defeats the purpose of being on suboxone at all. (Obviously this doesn't apply to someone tapering off sub.)

And yes, being on suboxone SHORT TERM does put the person at an extremely HIGH risk of relapse - per studies that have been presented here by Dr. J on different occasions. And relapse does put that person at risk of death.

Opiate addiction is a chronic condition. Suboxone is a treatment for it. Taking medication long term for other chronic conditions isn't questioned, but seems to always be questioned with regard to opiate addiction.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 5:50 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I made the mistake of trying b 12 today sublingual. yes it gave me energy but also gave me tons of anxiety

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 1:22 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Maybe you should look into taking Vitamin D. I'm not sure if you're a male or female but my doctor said a lot of men who took opiates for a long time and stopped have low Vitamin D levels which is closely tied with testosterone levels. I have been battling extreme fatigue lately, even after sleeping 12 plus hours. Every night, after I ate at around 8 or 9 I would literally almost black out. I wouldn't even feel that tired then before I know it, I'm waking up on the couch at 2 AM. I would try red bull and just fall asleep with it in my hand and pour it all over myself. I have been taking vitamin D tablets lately and they've helped some what but I will probably be undergoing some testosterone treatment.

Also, I went to a homeopathic medicine place by my home and got a series of Vitamin b-12 shots (one a week, for three weeks straight) and man did that pep me right up. However, with each injection the effects were lessened. With any drug, you'll build up a tolerance to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I hear ya. Been incredibly tired since my dose got bumped up to 12mg.

Interesting thing was, for the first week or two I felt mildly stoned from the dose increase (8->12mg). It was after I stabilised and those feelings went away that the side effects kicked in. Most notable ones have been sleepiness (can sleep for ages!), loss of libido (might as well be a eunuch - this isn't doing my relationship any favours) & depression.

At first the subox made me feel really energised and slightly euphoric - almost anti-depressant like. Now I feel more depressed than on 8mg. Weird that.

Anyway, reducing dosage can alleviate these issues a lot.

Anyway. Beats methadone. Beats using. But would rather be 2 years off opiates altogether :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:12 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

i've had gastric bypass surgery so b12 supplements are a necessity for me. i take oral megadoses which are probably 3000% FDA RDA and have no issue and also have to take shots sometimes when that's not enough. as far as i am aware b12 is a water soluble vitamin thus your body flushes out any excess (you pee it out). now it may be because i am plagued by pernicious anemia but i find b12 gives me no energy whatsoever, but if i don't take it i'm up a creek without a paddle and i start having major problems with lethargy. anyway it just normalizes me i guess is what i am saying. i don't have issues with lethargy on the sub tho. never have had that side effect.

(please talk to your doc before starting the b12 supplementation though. i have a slightly unique case as i have pernicious anemia as the portion of my stomach that metabolizes b12 is diminished....)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:33 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello, there. I am a professional athlete and looking for energy drinks. I have heard that there are some energy drinks like zija which increase energy levels. I think I can use zija product, please give me reference in Perth area who deal in zija products.