It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I posted part of this elsewhere but it was at bottom of long post about my detox experience so this part probably got lost.

I REALLY DO NEED SOME HELP WITH THIS...PLEASE!

I have to decide whether to make an appt with an allergist...or not. Is this horrible, violent sneezing and dry cough ONLY a part and parcel of the final phase of Sub acute withdrawal or is it allergies as a result of Sub suppressing allergies for the 5 years I was on it? (Been off of Sub 30 days now.)

Researched this and there seems to be a mixed opinion on this. All I know is that I am in misery, sneezing violently 140 times a day (on average), have a dry, painful throat and can't sleep due to the fact I can hardly breathe (not to mention lingering insomnia.)

If it's not allergies, then how long will this last???

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:15 pm 

Sneezing is an effect of withdrawal. But your symptoms are way over the top. Go see an ENT, Allergist to get to the bottom of this. A dry cough is not a w/d symptom.

There are several virus's going around right now that the flu shot didn't help. Most are respiratory so you may have one of those. Although the sneezing still doesn't fit. Your nose is trying very hard to expel something so it must be allergies.

That's my take on it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks so much. I made an appointment an hour ago; meanwhile, I will take some Allegra and do the Nettie Pot (spelling?) thing.

Still mystified how I could have never once had a cold (maybe one mild one) or any allergy symptoms whatsoever (I can count on one hand how many times I have sneezed while on Sub), and then suddenly...Wham! Bang! I'm like the allergy poster child.

What exactly is the medical reason for this? Does it maybe it have something to do with a histamine tolerance rebound? Were all those allergies always there but suppressed by the Sub for five years? Being a curious sort, I would like to understand the pharmacology of this phenomena; that is, if anyone happens to know.

Weird. :(

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

from my personal experience the nettie put works well as does simply saline. if neither of those plus the allergy meds work, I'd see a Dr.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:59 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well, the sneezing finally stopped. It went from 150 sneezes a day (average) for 3 days, down to 70 or so, down to 30, then down to nothing. Haven't sneezed today yet and it's almost 1:00 pm. I still feel congested though so am taking Allegra and the saline drops.

I do not think it was allergies...I believe it was part of the tail end of the withdrawal as many other people at at about the same point I am claim to have all had violent sneezing. I doubt they all had allergies.

As far as other withdrawal symptoms, yesterday my body felt like lead and it was extremely hard to even go to the store, but today I feel about 50% better.

Going to bike by the Bay later today...Yay! Got to get those endorphins and the serotonin going full force.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:01 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

everytime I come off opiates I go through acute withdrawals and a day or two after they end I get allergy-like symptoms. I believe it has something to do with your immune system coming back to life after so much opiate suppression. literally every time I come off I go through this soar throat, sneezing, allergy phase at day 9 or 10

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It may not be that common, but I had the worst dry cough for almost 2 months after stopping sub. I was so cold that I used a heater all day in my office, so I just chalked it up to the dry air in my office. It was bad tho, it hung around for a while. I went through so many bags of cough drops I tore the roof of my mouth up. Ugh, this thread brings back memories! The violent sneezing is totally par for the course. That also lasted for months, for me personally.