Epic Failure

How to stop Suboxone? How long should I be on buprenorphine? Is Suboxone withdrawal bad? How do I detox?
River9
Power Poster
Power Poster

Epic Failure

Post by River9 » Tue May 03, 2022 12:52 pm

Good day everyone. I don't visit this forum often but I need some advice and this forum provides the best answers to the toughest questions. So, without further ado, here goes: I am and have been on 2 mg of the strips for quite a long time. At least three years. I take Suboxone 2 mg for CHRONIC PAIN. A few weeks ago I decided to do a rapid taper because I may be moving to a different State soon and I am very concerned that I will not be able to find a doctor who is willing to prescribe me any kind of opiate, including Buprenorphine products. I went down to 1 mg for a few days and from there I just quit cold turkey. The first ten days were great. I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms at all. I thought I was in the clear. On approximately day 11, I started having some mild w/d symptoms such as an occasional hot flash, a little bit of depression, insomnia, and of course, PAIN. From that point, each day got harder and harder. By day 14 I was exhausted from lack of sleep, and my pain rating was about a 5 out of 10. Whereas my usual pain is mostly in my back, the pain I was feeling was all over. My back hurt worse--to the point that I was unable to play piano or guitar. Both my upper and lower back were killing me. My legs (where I don't usually have pain) were constantly aching. The sensation was kind of like having a fever in my legs. At 2 a.m. Saturday morning, I was laying in my bed watching TV and crying. At that point my pain rating was about a 7 or 8. I caved. I just couldn't take the pain. I went in to the discontinuation process expecting some pain. I have read that when you stop opiates, it is normal to have pain because it takes time for your body to make its own endorphines. However, I didn't expect the pain to be that intense. What I would like to know is whether or not I gave up too soon. Since I am on Suboxone because of chronic pain, will I ever be able to stop taking it without a permanent stark increase in my pain? I do not want to live the remainder of my life unable to live a normal life. Not being able to play piano or guitar would throw me into the darkest part of depression Hell known to mankind. So I do not want to waste my time and/or energy going through the taper process if it is only going to cause me a pain so severe that I cannot live even a semi-normal life. Even though this past attempt to stop my Suboxone was an epic failure, I am willing to try again if the end result will not render me a life of constant, severe pain. I would very much appreciate input from the people on this forum. Thank you and God Bless you all.
I'm living proof that you don't have to hang from a tree to be a nut.

rule62

Re: Epic Failure

Post by rule62 » Wed May 04, 2022 8:53 pm

No one should have to go through what you did. Unfortunately, you did it to yourself by not tapering slowly. IMO, there shouldn't be too much concern finding another doctor to prescribe Suboxone again or maybe even a pain clinic to give you some other kind of pain meds. If the buprenorphine worked for you then I would ask for that. The laws have changed for the better for more physicians to prescribe Suboxone. Look into the laws in the state you're moving to to be sure.

When I moved to another state 10 years ago it wasn't hard to find my current doctor. Do your research and I'm sure you'll find several to choose from.

The reason you suffered so much pain was due to what they call the "swing effect". Whatever swings one way will swing the other way until it calms down. Your body freaked out not having any buprenorphine and swung the opposite way. Next time, if there is one, please do a very slow taper to give your body time to adjust. Do you have a problem being on Suboxone long term? Not me. I'll be on it for life if I have my way. My life is just normal taking 1-2mgs per day. Why rock the boat?

Not sure if I answered your questions but that's my opinion anyway. Good luck going forward.

r
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

River9
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by River9 » Fri May 06, 2022 5:25 pm

Thank you so much for the response Rule. I would like to stay on it for life. It helps my pain and also helps my mood. I just always feel the stigma and it's always a hassle when I go to the doctor for my monthly script.
I'm living proof that you don't have to hang from a tree to be a nut.

rule62

Post by rule62 » Fri May 06, 2022 7:17 pm

Once you have a good relationship with the new doctor, ask them to double your amount so you can come in bi-monthly. That's what my doctor does. He knows I take 2 mg's but writes it for 4. Plus, every day that I only take 1mg it saves me films. Right now, I have 3 boxes in storage in case of emergency. Due to daily neck pain I have been taking my normal 2mg's a day but never more. Once the pain calms down I go back to 1mg and feel better doing so.

Who cares about a stigma? No one but my wife knows I take it and she tells me I'm a better person to be around ever since my induction. Once I settled on the 1mg daily dose, life goes on quite smoothly. I predict the same for you. No one needs to know your medical history. It's no one's business anyway.

Let me know how it works out. It's good to have another Suboxone member with similar circumstances.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously