Spammers

Unmoderated debate about buprenorphine, recovery, treatment approaches, addiction... But keep it clean!
rule62

Spammers

Post by rule62 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:51 pm

Sorry everyone about all these horrible spammers posting their wares. Right now, there are only two moderators holding back the gates from these evil people. If it continues we'll take a more advanced stance. For now, we've blocked their IP's but that won't hold 'em off for long.

If those ads stay up too long, please PM myself or JennJenn. I may even give you my phone number to text me if it gets really bad. It's hard to moderate when at work but we'll do our best.

Thanks for understanding and please just ignore the ads.
Don't take yourself so damn seriously

suboxdoc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spammers

Post by suboxdoc » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:42 am

Thanks guys. I 'had at it' today and banned all of the ip addresses I could get to... unfortunately the 'backpack' spam messages are coming from multiple ip addresses. The introduction section was full of them.... and I used a rarely-used feature of this forum to delete any post that was made within 24 hours. For some reason it wiped out most of the 'introductions' section.

That section contained, well, introductions... so it didn't remove any 'informative' posts. But it was sad to see those posts disappear, as many were long explanations about how a person ended up here and on buprenorphine. I suspect some of the posters from that section have died, some from overdose. Others have moved on, and some are still here.

If you're new to the site (or old but want to provide an update), please add your words of introduction. And I'll try to avoid hitting the red button from now on.

jennjenn

Post by jennjenn » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:05 pm

Yes! Please do not hesitate to email or pm me if any spammers head our way again. It has really just been relentless...... and over a stupid backpack of all things lol!!
Jennifer

rule62

Post by rule62 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:14 pm

Looks like they are gone for now. We banned so many of them it just made it really hard for them to operate. Good job to the mods!

Now if we can just get more members to join it would be nice.

suboxdoc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by suboxdoc » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:58 am

Yes, our page views are down. I submitted a site map to Google, which helps their search engines find pages on the site. The map included 27,000 pages.... and so far they have indexed about 1500 of them. I go on their webmaster portal often to check and do what I can to get us found better. But we were 'bumped' by the ATF forum in Google search results, even though we have a much larger database of discussions. I'm not sure how to improve that situation... I'm thing about writing an article for The Fix.com or Rehabs.com, because they allow me to include a link to the forum.

I don't know Facebook at all - do they have any places where we could promote the forum? Or maybe I could run some ads for a short time?

rule62

Post by rule62 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:49 pm

There are some on Facebook but many members choose to stay anonymous, myself included. That is one obstacle. I may have to Google to see how to get Google results in the first few pages!

If there was just somehow to get a search result from a person Googling "Suboxone" or even Buprenorphine. If our forum came up on the first page we'd need to increase staff due to many new members finding out how good this forum is. One day it may happen.