It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:52 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey everyone. First time posting however I read up on this forum alll the time. Been on suboxone for nearly three months. Absolutely know suboxone is a blessing. Wish I would have started it ten years ago. I have a really bad drug history. Gone on too long. Too many rehabs. Too much heartache. I’ve even had two children and still relapse about once a year. My five year old has even lived i a couple rehabs with me. It’s just sad. That said, I know I’m on the right path with suboxone. I’m finally filled with hope. I don’t want it to end before it should. I was started on 8mg a day. I thought that might be low but of course I trusted the doc and took it. Actually felt great and was comfortable with the dose. I ended up having to change doctors due to insurance coverage after about two months. So this new doc, PUT ME ON 6mg!!!! I’m not comfortable. I’m scared. I feel anxiety that just starting out he has lowered my dose. I’m scared he will continue to lower it to fast and inevitably get me off too fast. I’ve told him two appointments in a row that I’m uncomfortable and assertively asked to go back to 8 but there’s just no talking to this guy. I always read people giving advice to u know, share concerns wi H doc and ask to adjust doseages. Like a doctor will work with u and have great concern for your stability. Nope, not mine. What should I do? Is this normal maybe just in my location? Are buffalo ny doctors taught to give minimal doses? Should I bother switching? Can I even switch? Would another doc even take me on for only this reason or will they think I’m doctors shopping for more suboxone? Please give me some advice guys. Thanks so much

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:03 pm 

That really sucks. Try to call around to find another doctor who is okay with maintenance. You can try bringing in some documents from our resident doctor here but if he won't listen then it may not do any good. Look under his blog up top this page to find articles relating to long term maintenance vs short term. If you can't find it, I'll send it to you via PM.

How bad was your habit before starting Suboxone? The only reason I ask is to know more your tolerance and what dose may or may not work for you. But do remember that 90% of addiction is mental. By reducing your dose he messed with your mind which isn't ready yet for a reduction. Being on a stable dose for a year is what is mostly recommended. All doctors treat patients differently. Even the two doctors I've had since 2010 have changed their methods. My latest one told me all his patients only stay on for 6 months. Hmmm, that was in 2012 and here I am. So maybe he'll change his tune after treating a lot of patients. Try to get him to come here to check this out as a recovery site. If he reads our posts it will make him a better prescriber.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:52 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks so much for the response. Your right about it messing with my mind man. My addiction in the latest days consisted of about 4-6 bags of heroin and 8-10 lortab 10s a day. Pretty major. Idk I’m going to have to just find acceptance and hope that he doesn’t even mention a dose decrease for a long time. I’ll keep you posted. And if he does then I will call around. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:55 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Oh and like I said, there’s no talking to this guy. First of all I can hardly understand him at all. He’s Chinese. Sometimes I wonder if he can understand me! And he’s been involved with suboxone for a very long time. He’s kinda the expert around these parts. He’s spent a decade doing presentations to hospitals and the like. I don’t think I’ll be bringing in any information for him

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:52 am 

My surgeon is Chinese and one smart, talented man. But he didn't understand the first thing about Suboxone. He refused to even discuss upping my dose after a very painful surgery. The pain meds did no good because of my tolerance. Wouldn't read anything or discuss a dose change. Problem was, he is the best so I suffered.

Good luck going forward.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:20 am 

Hey j!

I’d look for another doctor. Just explain your situation to the new doctor when you find him. I’d tell him the truth, that the doctor wasn’t listening to your needs and that you were very uncomfortable with the drop he made you do. Anyone should understand that. If you have a doctor that just refuses to listen to you, then what do you have? I’d stick with this doctor until I found another one, that’s what I’d do.

It does seem like you had a pretty big tolerance and your life was absolutely being effected if you were taking your child to rehab with you.... you didn’t deserve a drop at 3 months in treatment! That ticks me off so bad. Seriously? They couldn’t look at your past history of active addiction and see that you were finally stable for 3 months and doing good? They just had to mess with something. Yeah, I’d move far along from this doctor you have right now because if he isn’t listening now, imagine how he’ll not listen on down the line.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:30 am 

I want to make sure that you are getting maximum absorption since you had to go down in dose. Dr. Junig has written a blog post about it. Here's the link:

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/optimizing- ... bsorption/

I thought it might help.

Amy