It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I’m a patient with the same dr for 11 years. Today, the day before I need to fill my script, I call like I always do and ask for my fill and a time to come in for my tox screen. I have anappt every other month. This was my no appt month. The receptionist, whom knows me and has for 11 years now, says sorry were not filling any prescriptions this month. Dr Ron passed away. Ok um, first, oh my god! Second, ok well I’m due to fill tomorrow what should I do? Response: I don’t know. We are trying to get a dr in to cover so all I can do is put you on the list. Uh, ok. Sooo wtf ami supposed to do now?
11 years?!?! Same dr. Perfect patient, pass every tox screen, follow his rules, do exactly as I’m supposed to and not only was he my sub dr but also my primary. And come to find out he passed away almost a week ago. No notification to his patients? I understand everyone is in shock and very saddened. But life goes on. What about the 100’s of patients that depend on him. He founded Sedona holistic medical centre. He’s not just a typical sub dr, he’s also a family practice and many other things. What are we all supposed to do now? What am I supposed to do now? The staff had no information for me. So now I’m abruptly cut off and no fill in sight or my dr. I was seeing his PA for many months. But PA cannot write a script under the dr if the dr is dead. Quite the pickle. Any advise?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:56 pm 

GET ON THE PHONE NOW!! Call every none Suboxone Dr in the area. GET ON lists.. I'm very sorry and angry, again that overall I still see this as weak medicine in the health industry. I could go on and on and sorry this is,short but I'm working now.. I've seen this before. Great patient,great record, ..who cares? So sorry you ve lost your Dr. That staff should be ashamed....razor..

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:12 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

WOW WOW and WOW. I am so sorry this happened to you, my condolences to the doctors family as well.

They should have a doctor on call when emergencies like this happen. Isn't there a number/ hotline you can call? I believe that's against the law for them to just cut you off like that just because your doctor passed away.

If I were you, I would bug the hell out of the office. I'd keep calling, going there, & if that doesn't work, threat to sue. I don't really know a whole lot about this but I'm sure Amy would. I'm sure she'll be coming by & chiming in soon.

Tlwick, I wish you the best of luck & hopefully everything works out. My heart goes out to you! I'm sorry for the loss of your doctor!

Ash

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah, I’ve never had a dr suddenly die. I know the office must be scrambling and they usually do have a dr on call bc my dr used to vacation frequently. It’s been 6 days since he passed and what was weird when I called is “patty” said they weren’t (couldn’t) filling any prescriptions right now. I cannot recall if she said this month or just right now as I was shocked and a bit thrown into panic mode as I’ve had issues before like the ins authorization expiring and me not being informed of it. It’s a stupid game that I’m very sick of. For many years I paid cash out of pocket and in my state, they aren’t cheap. About $9 per film at 90 films a month. Anyway. I had to calm myself and I figured I’d call the dr that used to cover for him. She’s never been very nice to me, I actually think she doesn’t like me at all. I’m just worried about having to try to get into a “new” program after I’ve been with the same dr for 11 years. How does that even work? The staff had no answers for me. Guess I better start looking up drs in my area. I don’t even know what else to do at this point. My dr waived the mandatory counseling, I did go for a while in the beginning. But I’ve passed every tox screen for 11 years. It used to be I’d only be tested every few months but the last two years it’s been every month. It’s not an issue, it was when I had to pay for it but anyway. I’ve had a good relationship/trust established and I’m extremely upset bc honestly I don’t have time for weekly counseling and all the other “required” things a new dr would put me through. I’m a homeschooling mom of 4 and I work 4 nights a week. I’ve been on this for so many years for Maintence. I have a serious injury and have required surgeries in the past so I was on some heavy duty pain meds and wanted off. So on suboxone then back on pain meds for more surgery then off and back on subs and dr kept me on for years as a just Incase bc I most likely will require more surgery in the future. Having to start over is the issue. I’d like to continue seeing the PA I’ve been seeing. I think I should put in a personal call to him directly. I don’t know if he would return it at this point. Worth a try I guess. Patty did say they would put me on “the list” and get back to me. But when? How long am I supposed to hang in limbo? And she mentioned something about getting a dr to cover this month. What about the rest?? So many questions and she had zero answers. I was trying to not be insensitive and now I’m just kicking myself for not being more forward.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:03 pm 

Let me state again that you should begin calling . Call the PA. See what he says. But from what your saying there may be a chance that this office will come up with a plan. But when? Who knows.. Also, it is not against the law when this happens. Sueing or threat of wont get you your medicine, you will need to find that yourself im afraid..

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:15 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welp,

I'm with Razor. Keep calling the PA. He would probably know what will happen. & Just in case, call around your area for another doctor. I really hope that everything works out for you! If you need help finding a doc in your vicinity, don't hesitate to message me.

Ash

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:13 am 

I am terribly sorry you are going through this and I can't really think of anything to suggest that hasn't been said already. The only good coming from this topic is to tell all Suboxone patients to ask their doctors who to go to in case something happens to them. They don't need to die but some are out of town because of a death or maybe a long vacation.

It took me 3 years before I thought of asking my doctor who to go to. He gave me a name of a doctor an hour and a half away but it's better than nothing. That was a few years back so now I'll ask again and hope there is someone closer.

IMO, it's not the staffs fault. They can't foresee the future but this should have been talked about in their office at a staff meeting or a memo sent out by the residing doctor. Can't blame the doctor now either.

So we all need to be our own advocate for treatment. To all, please ask your doctor so you have the bases covered. We don't want to see another post like this one.

Sorry once again and we hope you can get it all straightened out.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all for the advise. More calls ahead today during biz hours. First to the PA. Hoping for a miracle but fairly sure, the way things go for me, not gonna happen. I’ll post and let you know what happens, thank you again.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:12 am 

Tlwick welcome! I’m so sorry to hear about this!

You know I have absolutely thought of this situation happening to me. I’m a big over thinker and it has def crossed my mind. I don’t worry as much now because we have an additional doctor so I can only hope if something happens to one, the other will see their patients until something else is permanently figured out.

Hopefully your clinic will get things figured out very soon and I’d suggest calling and asking every question you can think of. I know I have a hard time with thinking I’m bothering someone by asking too many questions but in this case you’re validated times ten to do so in my opinion. If something happens and you do have to go to another doctor, then regardless of the counseling, you’ll adjust and just move forward. I know you think you can’t fit in counseling and all the extra stuff but if you have to then you can. It’s better than the alternative right? My 12 year old is homeschooled too, luckily it’s at our time schedule, so that’s a plus. I know it’d be a pain in the butt to start all over at a new place but if you do then you’ll adjust. I wouldn’t want to start over either, I’ve developed a relationship with my clinic and the employees, it would suck to start over somewhere else and be considered a new patient. I would if I had to though.

I pay cash and up until a few months ago the strips were $9 a piece. Then I go recently and the coupons weren’t used because of an online issue or something, and I found out they’re now $10 a piece! It’s ridiculous. I’m about 95% convinced that I’m switching to the generic pills after my next appointment in a week. The strips are NOT worth $10 dollars a piece. I know my area is really sticking it to ppl on this medication but I’m not going to pay that. Anyway I got on a rant there lol, I’m sorry. I’m also very sorry about your doctor.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So my call to my dr office today, got the answering machine with a message stating that due to the drs passing the office is closed today for the funeral and no prescription requests will be considered until Tuesday May 22. That’s more info than I had yesterday when I found out. I thought about calling another dr I remember that used to cover for him a few years ago (and I’ve dealt with once or twice when I did not know my dr was going out of town for 2 weeks at a time) and then I had a thought that I’m prob not the only one who remembers that dr and her office must be flooded with calls. Plus I’m not her patient so I’m gonna hit another dead end telling me bummer nothing they can do. If it’s a true medical emergency go to the nearest ER. It just floors me how drs do not truly understand that taking this medication means one actually needs it to function in their lives. It’s not like a multi vitamin, ooopps I ran out no big deal I’ll just get some next week. Doesn’t work like that. So I plan on playing the waiting game which is going to drive me insane as I spend way too much time in my own head. I have enough left that I can stretch it maybe 9 days so a fast taper then jump. I’m also waiting on my order of kratom, I bought a few different strains to try. I’ve read a lot about it and was planning on buying it anyway. I was planning out to do this anyway, taper and get off for good, just not as quickly and abruptly. I’ve been on suboxone, then subutex then back to suboxone with a brief visit from zubsolv (which was awful btw) for 11 years now. Before that I did get hooked on pills. Back pain after the birth of my 3rd child. Pills prescribed then dr cut me off after I was already hooked. Deseperate times lead to a bad addiction, pills then fetynal patches. Which lead me to my current dr. 6 months in and I had begun the taper. It was going extremely well. Then the car accident in June of 2007 that literally almost killed me. Crushed my left leg. So that led to many surgeries which involved using pain medication. The hospital had me on a automatic morphine pump for about a week. Then the pump that I could control with a button click. I was on several different pills and patches for months. I was one of the unlucky to be prescribed the defective fetynal patches. My dr thought I may be abusing them even tho I wasn’t. After 3-4 months of that awful pain medication debacle I decided I wanted off. I didn’t care I would deal with the pain. I hated not being trusted by my dr. And felt a need to re-prove myself. So I switched back to suboxone. That lasted only a few months bc I had to undergo another surgery so back on pain meds then back on suboxone then another surgery so the same cycle back on pain meds then back on suboxone. So after about 1-1/2 years of that recovery nightmare I stayed straight on suboxone. In 2010 I surprise, get pregnant with our 4th child. Our youngest was 4. We had no plans or intentions on another child. So anyway switch to subutex during my pregnancy, the drs kept telling me I had to stay on it. Stopping it would hurt my baby more than it would hurt me. I tapered down to the most minuscule dose. A teeny crumb of a pill. I could’ve stopped taking it. I felt no need for it no crave nothing. But, I listened to my drs and stayed on that teeny tiny crumb. After our only son was born and a horrible almost losing (cps) him nightmare due to my medication useage even though I followed almost all drs orders (I was supposed to be on a higher dose) so during that insanely stressful time back on suboxone. I didn’t need it. But my dr thought it best to stay the course esp with my injury and all the stress from the cps investigation and the hospital literally holding my son hostage and putting a perfectly healthy baby through detox. No legal recourse either. Cranky old nurse falsified his chart moments before discharge. Literally we were suited up & about to walk out the doors. It was hell and I did not relapse to pills or any other narcotics I couldn’t even think about anything else but my son. But dr thought it best I stay on suboxone. Fast forward to today. Model patient for 11 years. Never given a reason for my drs office to doubt or mistrust me. And as I said, my dr died. He was not that old. It was sudden. And I understand he was a very beloved member of the community. A highly honored dr top in his field. He and his wife (also a dr, psyc) have written and published books together. Books specifically about addiction. So for his office to just shut down for two weeks just flabbergasts me. Dr Ron truly cared for his patients. He wasn’t just a sub dr as I stated. He has a family practice as well (in the same office). And to not notify patients just tell them when they call oh well dr passed so basically ur out of luck, I’ll put ur name on a list is not only irresponsible but kinda cold hearted. Dr Rons patients all adore him. Ok. So that’s the long story. I’m going to wait it out and pray while I do a rather quick taper and use various herbs and otc’s to help me through. I just pray I can keep up with my life and not miss work due to being sick.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:13 pm 

I'm not advocating that you taper off or stay on buprenorphine. I just want to throw out a suggestion. If you have enough to get through to Tuesday, which is 5 days, why don't you either A. continue being prescribed the suboxone with whoever they line up for you and then plan a slow taper with 5% drops when you get below 2mg OR B. Get one last script on Tuesday so that you can taper a lot more slowly than you could with just the amount you have left?

Your taper will undoubtably go better if you can stretch it out for a longer period of time. It sounds like you've had success with tapering before.

I'm so sorry for all you have been through! That all sounds so awful! My friend, Amber, knowing that her baby was not displaying withdrawal symptoms after he was born, already had a lawyer on retainer for another issue and threatened to get the lawyer involved if they wouldn't let her leave with her baby. She was ready for them to screw with her. So they were both discharged at the same time. I so wish that there is more advocacy for us in the future. I am certainly going to do my level best to affect my small area in a positive way!

When women on suboxone are pregnant and wanting to get off their medication, there is something that they don't realize. They think that they are sacrificing for their child. Willing to feel awful if it means that their babies don't have to go through withdrawal once they are born. Not only is that dangerous, but here is something that they don't think of. If they are going through withdrawal, the unborn baby is going through withdrawal. So, in other words, they are making their babies withdraw without the benefit of any comfort medication. I don't know exactly how that may affect the baby. It may mess with their nervous system or change how their body responds to stress in a negative way. Just because they are still on the inside doesn't mean that they don't feel discomfort. I wish doctors would give this information to their pregnant suboxone patients! Instead they just tell them that tapering or going off buprenorphine during their pregnancy is dangerous.

I am not saying that you did anything wrong at all. I just want to spread the word that there are real reasons to not taper off buprenorphine during pregnancy. Studies are already showing that the amount of stress the mother goes through while pregnant, which floods the placenta with cortisol, has a potential negative impact on the fetus. I can only imagine that going through withdrawal releases a lot of cortisol.

I hope that life improves for you and that you are given more breaks. You've been through enough!!!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Amy and everyone else who replied with advice. I am going to try to get my script filled on Tuesday. I’m sure it will take longer than that as I know I’m not the only patient waiting, there must be 100’s. I’m also going to try to get an audience with mike the PA I’ve been seeing since dr Ron brought him into the practice. I’ve been seeing him now for well over a year and we’ve established a trust. I’d like to and hope to continue seeing him whether for suboxone or not. One last months script would be greatly helpful bc either way it’s happening. I cannot let this medication control my life any longer. It’s amazing bc this medication is supposed to help you, help you feel normal so to speak but in reality I still feel like that addict scrambling for medication so I don’t get sick. It’s a monthly battle, gotta check the dates, make sure it’s not too early, make sure my ins authorization is still valid, make sure the pharmacy has it all in stock, usually they don’t so I have to get a partial filled then pick up the rest which screws up the dates as u know everything is to the exact date, depending on which pharmacist sometimes to the exact hour. Kinda ridiculous, do the tox screen. For the last 5 years I’ve had to take a tox screen every month, that’s a lot of tox screens, what a waste of resources. I totally understand and get the fact that it’s required but years before that it was up to the drs discretion not mandatory so he would give me one every couple months just for the books so to speak. Had to have it on file. It’s really not a huge issue, other than I have to “prep” for it, I’m pee shy, cannot pee on demand so the day of my appt I have to make sure I have enough time to drink tons of fluids so I can actually go when I’m there or hold it if I do have to go and my appt is in a few hours (petty, I know) I just think that if one is clean and has proven repeatedly they’re clean, for 11 years, then why not let the dr decide. Basically I’ve been chasing meds for the last 13 years. I had only had a “pill problem” for about a year-year & a half before finding suboxone and dr Ron. Even being a model patient, following all rules, still have to jump through hoops. Every few months I’d get a break and it would be easy just go to dr, pee in the cup, chat for a few minutes and then go pick it up on it’s due date, those easy months were very few and far between. I need to end it. I’ve felt like a prisoner for too long. I don’t control my life, suboxone does. It’s time to take my life back. And find a new primary dr. I am very sad about his passing, he really was a great man, outstanding dr and only 67 years old. I still haven’t found out what happened. As I said in earlier posts the office staff is not very forthcoming with info, just a bunch of “I don’t know what to tell you”. The recorded message gave me more info. I’ve also dealt with patty the main receptionist for 11 years, I’m surprised at her coldness on the phone. I really shouldn’t be though, it’s a devastating loss. Now what happens to his health centre? All the nurses working under him, the PA’s, I think he has 2. They do so much more than addiction treatment. As I said he’s also a family practice, acupuncture, holistic healing among many other services. I hope all that read here learn from my experiences. I would’ve never fathomed my dr dying. I’m still shocked. Have a back up plan. Talk to your dr. Thank you again to everyone for the advise and support.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:21 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Here’s an update: I called the office on Tuesday. There’s a new message saying they’re closed and will take limited appts beginning Thursday the 24th but if ur due for a suboxone refill this week please call the following numbers for an appt and refill. The message goes on to rattle off 3 drs names and phone numbers. I had to replay the message twice before I could catch them all. The woman leaving the message spoke very fast and unclear. I’m thinking, ok what about those of us due last week? So call dr number 1. Nope he’s booked solid for at least a week and a half and maybe they could squeeze me in then. Call dr number 2. Nope and in fact the woman said they’ve been trying to reach the office again bc they have asked them to remove the drs name from their voicemail. Now the 1st drs office also gave me some other numbers to call. All hospitals and urgent care and the number for the 3rd doctor my drs office listed to call. Turns out he’s just one dr in a large inpatient rehab clinic about 45 min away, inpatient being the key word here. I pretty much knew it would play out something like that. So I am a few days in to the taper. Kinda drastic. Feel awful. Trying to manage with supplements, herbs and otc’s. I’m thinking about calling my drs office again, maybe get in to see mike, my drs PA, find out what do I do from here as far as a primary dr & hopefully some kind of comfort meds to help, but I have a feeling it’s gonna be another voicemail saying something like they’re closed and only honoring appts already scheduled before the drs passing. Don’t know if I should even waste my time. Oh and every suboxone dr in my area is booked or not taking new patients. Called 38 drs. My only option at this point is if I’m truly that desperate to stay on suboxone, is to spend a day at a drug addiction urgent care clinic, there’s a few inside hospitals. And they can be scary places, I don’t have a day to sit there and maybe they’ll see me. I’m in New York State. The laws/regulations here have become even more tight than they were. Most drs don’t even know what suboxone is, treat u like ur on high doses of herion or in typical opiate withdrawal. Suboxone is like no other opiate I’ve ever taken. I’ve tried tapering and stopping before. But I had a dr then. I have a little more than a half strip left. I’ve been slicing off thin pieces and taking it once a day but waiting until I absolutely have to. I have to work today, I wanted to make this day one of the first I don’t take it but I cannot be a total mess at work. The constant hot flashes are hard enough to get through when I’m at work. Im a server in a casual fine dining restaurant. Same place I’ve worked at for 18 years now. I’ve known the owner most of my life. My mother is the manager and has been there for 30 years. So I’m around the general public (who’s most the clientele are regulars, ppl I see a lot!). I spent most of yesterday in a non stop cycle of cold sweats and hot flashes. Nope I didn’t do much. Add in the pain from my previous injury 11 years ago. The skin tweaking and restless legs which is actually body wide is what I cannot tolerate and be on the move in a fast paced environment. And I cannot afford to miss work. And I’m having trouble finding the right dosage with kratom. I’m either super sleepy or super nauseas, like, if I move I’m gonna throw up kind of nausea. No in between. There’s no set instructions on how much to take how many hours apart. It’s in powder form and making it into a drink, near impossible to swallow down. Gonna try today to find more info on it. So that’s the latest. I’m still surprised the office just shut down. Just like that. With a sorry I don’t know what to tell you and an I’ll put ur name on the list for a call back when we get a dr in to cover to a message stating they’ll be considering prescriptions on the 22nd to the office is closed if ur due for a refill this week call ..... or ..... or ..... for an appt only to come up with 2 drs refusing and the 3rd an inpatient clinic. Ur telling me they had no back up procedures in place in the event of an emergency or catastrophe makes me wonder just how upstanding is / was Sedona holistic medical centre. Dr was only 67 years old. There is another dr working there but they cannot prescribe suboxone. I’m still stunned I guess.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:12 pm 

My God, what a nightmare...so sorry . I'm at a loss on what to tell you today.. keep looki g for a dr...

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:50 pm 

I agree Razor, there’s not a lot someone can say. The only thing you can do is what you’re doing by continuing looking for a new doctor and hope that the place you’re a patient at before this happened finally gets a replacement doctor. That’s all in the world you can do.

I really feel like there should have been a much much better system or backup plan in place, but I’m sure not everywhere has a plan like that. People don’t really think about anything happening to their doctor because we sometimes think our doctor is invincible. It’s actually made me start thinking about it and I’m going to ask my doctor next time I see him what kind of plan would be in place if anything were to happen to him. It really is a nightmare. Bless your heart!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:42 pm 

I don't have anything helpful to add. I just want you to know that I'm thinking about you and hoping that a miracle occurs for you.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:58 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Tlwick,

Please come back & keep us updated, were all flworried about ya, & hope that you have worked something out. :/

Ash

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:00 pm 

I went though this somewhat 2 yeaars ago. My dr had a stoke and is now retired. While some of us may complain about our clinic s, im lucky that ours is packed full of drs. It is inside a major Medical teaching uni med school. Everyone had a backup dr to take our old ones place. This story gives me pause, and im grateful after reading yet another story of someone doing well and having it taken away with no fault of ther own.. Razor59...