It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:34 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am new to this site but wanted to post this bc for days before I had to have a surgical abortion I did not find much about suboxone and a surgical abortion online. Actually, I found 2 posts and they weren't very helpful. I want to try and help others not to be so scared and know what to somewhat expect when they are faced with this. If it is in the wrong forum, I hope the admins will move it to where appropriate.

My quick background: I have been on suboxone for 3 years. Now on 8mg and found out I was pregnant. I've already had one child on suboxone and everything went well. I was excited to find out my husband and I were expecting again. However, the baby had some serious health issues and I was told I had options but we chose to have the abortion bc the baby wouldn't probably survive much longer anyways the doctor said. I planned to have a Surgical abortion procedure and It was at Planned Parenthood. I was told not to eat or drink for 6 hours before my appointment. I was VERY nauseous that morning and did go ahead and have a couple crackers bc I couldn't stand it and Planned Parenthood said the entire process from registering to recovery could take 4-6 hours so I couldn't go that long without food with my awful morning sickness. I also took a 4mg zofran. My husband drove me the 1 hour to the planned parenthood bc our town doesn't have one so the drive was hard bc I was so nauseated. Once I arrived they got my medical background. I told them I was on suboxone and started explaining what it was bc most medical facilities STILL don't know what suboxone is. Thankfully once I started explaining the lady interrupted me and said "oh, we've had girls on that come in so the doctor knows!" I was relieved bc my entire fear was how bad this pain was going to be and them not having options for me bc of not knowing what suboxone is. Once that was done I went and had an ultrasound to make sure the baby was still in me and I hadn't passed it at home. I hadn't and I was officially 8 weeks. The tech asked if I wanted to see my baby and I chose not to bc I knew it would just make the sadness more intense bc there was nothing I could to to fix its medical deformities. Once done I went back to the waiting room and read/filled out the papers about the procedure. If I wanted to take the "at-home" pills or continue on with the procedure. I stayed with the surgical procedure option bc it was only 5-10 minutes long instead of the two day process with the at home pills. Plus the pain/cramping some women feel with the pills is over 5-6 hours long and I didn't want that especially bc I couldn't be given pain medicine. Just ibuprofen and my suboxone.

After finalizing my decision they took me back to establish my blood type and my iron levels. Quick finger prick was all it was. She then discussed what I wanted as birth control after the procedure and they seemed to push for the IUD but after reading about it I chose the depo shot bc that's what I've used in the past. It doesn't seem to make me sick or cause any side effects like the pills and all past options have But everyone is different and that was just MY choice. After I chose my b.c., I went back to the waiting room and just waited for my turn. So far between all the papers, ultra sound, blood work, etc I had been there now going on 3 1/2 hours. It doesn't always take this long but this day they were very busy bc a doctor at a different clinic in another town called in so all those girls were now schedule through this planned parenthood so it doubled their schedule.

Back to the waiting room with my husband.....they had HGTV's Fixer Upper on and it helped keep my mind off everything every now and then bc the anxiousness was really starting to kick in. By the way, throughout the entire process, my husband nor any one else's "partner" was ever able to come back through any of the process. So you do all of it alone at the P.P. I went to. They may not all be like this and I wish I'd had him with me throughout everything instead of him just sitting in the waiting room.

After 30 minutes they called me back for the procedure. I went back into the "recovery" room which is where they let you sit and they get your meds going and then that's also where you recover. So some of the girls back there already had the procedure and some of us were prepping. There was another side where I believe the women who were a LOT further along were grouped bc they had a few different items that us on the far west side of the recovery room didn't have. As they sat me down in my "recovery" reclining chair, they asked me about my choice in sedation. She asked me if I wanted an IV with Valium and fentanyl and I said "I would've loved that choice bc I'm so anxious I don't want to feel or remember but I can't bc I'm on suboxone". The nurse immediately said "ok, yes that's right! I knew that. I really apologize for asking about the fentanyl". She then said "we could still do the Valium and we will do 800 mg ibuprofen and you should be alright". I told her that I also brought my 8mg strip of suboxone and if I could take that too I feel that would help." She said " let me check with the doctor but I'm sure that's no problem". 60 seconds later she said "go for it!" So they gave me 2 Valium, 2 ibuprofen which was 800 mg's and a flagyl which was an antibiotic. I thought all these meds on an empty stomach would make me super sick but surprisingly they didn't. The procedural nurse came to get me at about 15 minutes after I took my meds and I was freaking out bc I KNEW they hadn't kicked in yet so she said "don't worry, We want them to kick in so we'll give you another 25 minutes". And when she came back 25 minutes later, I was ready and they'd definitely kicked in!!! They had me go put a pad on from the bathroom and empty my bladder. As I walked back out I was feeling good and officially KNEW I was ready. There were 5 other girls back there in the recovery room with me who'd just had the procedure and two who'd had the IV meds were throwing up. Those who didn't do the IV seemed to be fairing better and were out of recovery faster.

I then went back for the procedure and that's the first time I'd met the doctor. They had me undress from the waist down and gave me a sheet to cover up my "modesty". They came back in after i was ready. Her assistant was extremely calming, supportive and told me what was happening as the procedure was going. The doctor has to dilate the cervix or uterus (something like that) and when they do it's a needle and it did feel like a sharp pain but only for maybe 5 seconds. They immediately start the procedure so there's not much break from when they give the needle and go! The entire procedure lasted about 4 minutes and they said it was bc I wasn't that far along. The further along you are, the longer it takes (usually the longest is 10 minutes) AND they said there is usually more pain so if you are not on suboxone, they recommend the iv meds or at least some Vicodin if no IV. During the procedure, I won't sugar coat this, it hurt. It was, on a scale of 1-10 with period cramps, an 8. BUT remember, it was ONLY a couple minutes so it's VERY survivable and you forget the pain fast. Just like childbirth. The pain for childbirth is strong and Some say "I'll never do this again!" But we do bc we forget the pain. lol. I did have some tears run down my face bc of the pain but it was so fast and the assistant held my hand and kept telling me stories to take my focus off the pain AND she helped me focus on my breathing. In and out, in and out, slow and steady. Then she said, "ALL done"! I even said "SERIOUSLY? That was it???" "Once It was over, they helped me get my underwear and pants on bc the cramps were still at an 8. They again were very helpful and never made me feel any guilt or increased my sadness by saying anything downcast. She walked me to my recovery chair. They placed a heating pad on my stomach which helped tremendously and covered me up with a nice blanket. My cramps continued for MAYBE another 3 minutes (tops!) and I then felt great!!!! They took my blood pressure and then They gave me fruit juice and crackers. The IV girls were still there in recovery and 1 was still throwing up. I was in recovery for maybe 15 minutes. Yes, I broke down at one point and some other girls were also teary-eyed so they must've been crying while I was in my procedure. Once I gathered myself and got my emotions in check, I felt terrific and was released. The IV girls were still there and Again, NOT everyone who does IV sedation gets sick. It just happened that on the day I was there, the ones who did have it, were.

My husband had a cheeseburger, fries and a coke ready for me when I walked out. I scarfed it down bc I hadn't been able to eat much at all for weeks bc I get REALLY bad morning sickness. All the pregnancy side effects had already left my body. No more nausea, dizziness, my boobs were still sore and swollen but I knew that too would disappear. I did fine on the suboxone with the ibuprofen and Valium. I don't want anyone else to worry when they have to have this procedure or if they elect to have it. For me, during the procedure and recovery it was a total of 10 minutes of cramps and it was over. Btw, the next day I felt little cramping. I just took some ibuprofen and they subsided. It's just like period cramps and they subside with the ibuprofen. I haven't had any blood bc they do warn that you can bleed for up to 4-6 weeks after. Again, it depends how far along that you are in your pregnancy. The further along, typically the longer the symptoms. I also have twins and another little one and I was fine to take care of them the next day. The day of, I would recommend having somebody to watch your children bc you need to rest and let the meds wear off and let your emotions settle.

They had over 35 girls who had to have that procedure that day so it was busy with lots of mixed emotions all around. I don't know their stories but this was mine. I wish everyone reading this "the best" bc I know why you've found yourself reading this and it's not an easy decision that you're facing or your story you're writing.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:19 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I just wanted to thank you for sharing your uplifting story and I know it will help others! That was not an easy decision to make but you seem like you are doing great and that makes me happy!

You are so strong and I'm so sorry you had to go through this but it's great that you had a wonderful, nonjudgmental experience with such a caring husband by your side!

Jess

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:01 am 

Your story is of such value! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I'm sorry that the doctors found things wrong with the embryo and you had to go through this procedure.

Thank you for being brave and sharing your story!

Amy