It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:10 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey everyone,

So I started taking Wellbutrin two weeks ago, my primary physician/buprenorphine doctor prescribed it to me to help me stop smoking. It's starting to suppress my cravings for nicotine, but for the last week, I've been unbelievably depressed, pretty constipated, extremely moody ( I can't even stand my own self), I've been getting very... dizzy at times and cannot feel happy at all. I'm also 3-4 days late on my menstrual cycle. It's freaking me out & I just wanna know if the antidepressant is suppressing my period due to hormonal change or if it's something else. Or maybe it's the combination of the buprenorphine/naloxone & bupropion causing it, which I highly doubt.

Any ideas or suggestions as to why this is happening to me folks? I'd appreciate any inputs.

Ash

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:49 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Ashlee,

All of those things I experienced also when I started taking Wellbutrin. I hated it and I felt like I was turning into a freaking warewolf or something LOL I was so angry all the time and wanted to cry about nothing. It gave me the emotional roller coaster feeling for sure. Which is definitely not normal for me. I do get irritable sometimes but I never felt so out of control like that before. It went away after about 1 month of taking it. All anti-depressants give you hell in the beginning. It is to be expected. I wouldn't give up just yet. It could really help you and make all this worth it. It never helped me but we all know everyone is different!

And yes I also noticed that it made my cigarettes taste and smell bad for like 5 days but I continued to smoke and after a few days the smell and taste of them was back to normal lol. And it made pop taste flat. All these things you described sound completely normal. Dont freak out about your period being late. If its late for an entire week or more, then I would suggest you contact your doctor and let them know what all side effects you have been having and maybe get checked out about you being late.

Its always best to expect side effects when introduced to a new medication, especially anti-depressants, so you dont get caught by surprise and wonder why you have been feeling different than normal. But if these feelings last more than a month to 6 weeks I would definitely tell your doctor and maybe look at other options. These meds can take up to 8 weeks (sometimes longer) for your body to get used to. It is normal and I would suggest you hang in there unless it is really unbearable and you just cant take it anymore. In that case, call your doctor now. But most of these meds do tend to make you feel worse before it gets better. It could end up all being worth it though! It just depends on what you want and if you want to keep going through it. It should start to get better in a couple weeks.

Hang in there
Jessica

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:34 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Jess,

So I quit taking it. It got to the point to where my husband said that I was becoming a monster; I was starting fights deliberately for no reason. Maybe I didn't give it enough time, but I was not able to feel that way any longer. It was messing with my daily chores at home, my relationship with my husband, & my entire physical/mental health.

Thanks so much for the encouragement & advice though! It's very appreciated!

Ash

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:00 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hey Ashlee,

It's totally understandable why u stopped. You were only using it for help to quit smoking. If you were getting on it for severe depression that was destroying your quality of life, that would be more of a reason to want to hang in there and wait it out.

When you're severely depressed it's like you will try anything if you think it might help you even a little bit. Regardless of the side effects. I think that's why I never wanted to give up on it.

But now I'm on effexor and it has made a noticeable difference. Of course now my migraines are back full force, so I'm back to feeling like life will never get better. But that's a different story. It's hard to manage depression when chronic pain is involved.

You will have to make a different thred on your journey to stop smoking so we can all cheer u on and offer support! I know I really need to quit too. I'm just not ready! Lol

Jess

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:36 am 

Jess is absolutely correct!

This obviously is not the medication for you given your side effects! I'm sure your doctor can talk to you about alternatives. There's more than one way to skin a flea! (I like cats, so I don't like using the previous phrase with cats, even though that's the original way of saying it.)

You made a good decision for yourself, Ashlee!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:04 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Ello ladies,

So I think I'm gonna focus on cognitive behavioral therapy rather than antidepressants. I would rather deal with things through therapy/seeking a psychiatrist. I'm so happy that I have this support system here, I don't think you all know how much it means to me... It really means the world!!!

I'm also having a hissy fit trying to quit cigarettes completely. But it's gotten to the point where... My husband will light one up first thing in the morning, & I get sooo grossed out from the smell. Like I mean I feel like I need to leave the room to avoid the smell. But later on, after I've taken my medication, I can have one. Weird, right? Thus far today, I've gone about 18 hours without one, so that's progress.

Ash

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:55 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I have been a regular smoker for around 8 years and cigarettes never appealed to me right when I wake up. On the weekends I dont even have my first cigarette until noon sometimes!

Maybe your hubby can help you by smoking outside from now on if he is going to continue smoking and not try to quit with you.. That would probably help you even more!! I would imagine the smell can possibly give u cravings. Same with weed.

Good luck!! Try to keep your mind busy! Its normal to feel irritable and short tempered when experiencing nicotine withdrawals. But it seems like you are doing great so far! Even just cutting back how much you smoke is a HUGE act of self-love and an amazing step towards better health!

I have heard hypnosis and actupuncture can help people quit smoking too!! Both include no drugs so there are definitely other options out there! I know when I decide to quit I def. want to check out the more non-traditional methods to give me some help with the process. My body does not like changes. If something has the possibility to give ANY effects upon termination, it usually always does. My body feels everything. Its like I am hypersensitive or something!

Jess

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:35 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Jess,

For the past week, I think I've smoked maybe seven cigarettes. My husband has only had like two cigarettes in the past three days, we're both trying to quit!! Sal (my husband) is the most supportive person, I'm so lucky to have him as my significant other. What we've been doing is only taking a puff or two on a smoke when we least want it, but when we feel the need to smoke, we occupy ourselves with something that we can both fidget with together. Thus far, it's working!

I know what you mean when you say that your body doesn't take kindly to changes. I'm the exact same way. Have you ever tried meditation? I've kind of been trying it lately more & more, I find it to be very relaxing & helpful in times of stress. It may take a long while to clear your mind & concentrate, but when you do, it's like you're in a whole other world.

I've always wanted to try acupuncture, I've heard it works wonders for pain! My grandmother got it done a few years ago, she claims that she had never felt so good in her life!! But on the down side, it's veryyyy costly & alot of insurances will not cover it.

Ash

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:26 am 

If you’ve only had 7 cigarettes this week then you’re doing unbelievably well! Heck, 18 hours without a cigarette is progress to me.

I’ve been a smoker since I was 17-18 and now I’m 42. So half of my life I’ve been a smoker and it’s unbelievable how difficult it is. Ashlee since you have insurance, maybe check about Chantex (I know I spelled it wrong). It’s supposed to be good and if I’m not mistaken, it’s only purpose is to stop smoking. There’s also the nicotine patch. It helps but I never had much luck with the patch long term. If you’re doing this well, then just a little added help and I’ll bet you’ll be successful in stopping. You’re already doing way better than I ever could.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:29 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Jenn,

Thanks so much for your support, I really value all that you tell me!!! I don't think you know how much you're appreciated! My doctor told me that because I have such vivid dreams, if I were to take chantix, it would make them worse. She also said that it would make me even more moody, which is ironic because the Wellbutrin she prescribed me turned me into (what I felt) a psycho. I don't wanna gross anyone out here but I think why I've slowed down so much is because I cough up nasty brown crud. Almost immediately after I smoke a cigarette. It's disgusting. So there it is! Hahaha!

Ash

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:32 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Chantix has BRUTAL side effects so it's not always the simple fix that people are looking for! It's just not always what is best for everyone! And since you had such a hard time with the Wellbutrin I guarantee it would be much worse with chantix. You seem to be doing so great without the need to add on another medication!

That brown crap you cough up is somewhat normal for long time heavy smokers I believe, I get it when I'm sick with a really bad cold. I know it's disgusting LOL

Remember that when you want a quick puff. LOL

Jess

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:41 am 

I know nothing about chantix but figured I’d offer that thought.

Let me tell ya something Ashlee that my ex mother in law (lol) said to me once. She said that she wanted her son to stop smoking and literally prayed that it would start making him sick to make him stop. I always think of that and how I’d be ok with that. Make me sick when I smoke and I promise you I’ll stop. I hate feeling sick. That’s how I was able to stop smoking during all 3 of my pregnancies. I had morning sickness and the smell of smoke made me violently sick. It was easy breezy to stop. If you’re feeling that sick feeling when smoking, let that motivate ya because that’s better motivation than anything else :)

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:32 pm 

Funny you mentioned that Jenn. My wife quit smoking many years ago after getting a massage. The therapist must have hit something that turned off her desire for smoking. She said after getting it they tasted awful and just didn't want one. Go figure! I wish they could pinpoint what the massage therapist hit so it could be reproduced all the time. Maybe it was just a coingKiDink.

After 28 years w/o cigarettes I still love the smell of them. Most ex-smokers hate the smell. I don't want one but it still smells good. Not one little puff since April 15th, 1990. And I mean nothing. No cigars, pipes, or anything nicotine related in my lungs. Did the gum thing but that's a different habit.

You'll get there Ashlee. Most of us had to quit many many times to get it right. Keep trying, it will take hold eventually and then after a few years you won't even think about it. Weird huh? Even if the world was ending tomorrow I wouldn't smoke any. That is double weird!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:33 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I'm sure I'll get there guys,

thank you all so much for your support! You really have no idea how much it means to me!!!

Ash

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:39 am 

Rule...... my role model! 1990, omg what an accomplishment. That’s so awesome. I swear I wish I could stop.

I feel like nicotine is an addiction like any other, it’s just out of my hands without some kind of help or devine intervention. My 12 year old son has asked me countless times to stop because he worries I’ll get lung cancer. Isn’t that heartbreaking? And I still haven’t been able to stop! It’s frustrating as hell :/

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:25 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Jenn,

I was talking with my mother in law just now, & she told me that if you start eating two apples & two tomatoes everyday for a year straight... It will completely clean your lungs of all the gunk from cigarettes. I don't know if this is true, but it couldn't hurt, right? :)

Ash