It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:12 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello! First I just wanted to say I visited this forum about 7 years ago when I first started Suboxone and it was a great support! I am back! Boy has time gone by so fast. It's hard to believe I was on Suboxone for so long and I can honestly say it did save my life and I'm grateful. But with that said, it has been 42 days no Suboxone and I'm still suffering... Is this normal? For the past 4 years I have been on one third of an 8 milligram strip and taper down to 1 mg and took the jump. My doctor retired and I decided that it was time. He said I would feel a little funky for about a week and then I would be fine. I can honestly say it's been a little bit more than funky that I have felt. Yes I do feel better than I did days 3 through 10 but I need some reassurance that after all this time it will get better. I'm always sick, I have headaches all the time, throat always hurts, I sneeze constantly, I still get restless leg, and my bowels are a mess. I think at this point I just need to hear keep on going you will be okay! By the way, I do try and keep motivated, drink plenty of fluids, take vitamins etc but I can't help but feel maybe I have underlying other health issue? Is that crazy? Or is this normal?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:43 pm 

You definitely could have an underlying medical problem, but it also could be one of the people for whom the detox is on the difficult side.

Still! There is definitely hope! It seems like many folks who don't feel well for a number of weeks have a turning point around 6 weeks to 2 months.

There are many doctors who tell their buprenorphine patients that if you get to 2mg or below, you shouldn't have any problems with withdrawal. Unfortunately, this is what they were told in the training they received to be able to prescribe it. That is not correct. 1mg is still quite a bit to have in your system. The people who taper down to .25mg or lower have an easier time of it. I'm sorry that you didn't know that.

But you are moving forward now and you can make it! We suggest that you do some recovery work, especially if you haven't up until this point. I like SMART Recovery which is based on cognitive behavioral therapy techniques. They have meeting across the country, but also online meetings for those who can't make it to a physical meeting.

Sometimes it may feel like you take 2 steps forward and 1 step back. But slow and steady wins the race! Keep us informed about how you're doing! We will help as much as we can.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:51 am 

Hey jb!

Amy said everything I was going to say but if you need some reassurance then you need to hear from as many ppl as possible :)

I was also going to say that 1mg is still a rather on the high side to jump from. I know that sounds crazy but most ppl try to get to lower lower doses. But you’re now past the first month mark so that’s all in the dust. You should be so proud of yourself, I think you’re strong and determined.

If I were you, I’d consider going to a doctor to just get checked for everything to make sure you don’t have any other issues that may need attention. It definitely wouldn’t hurt to do that plus it could give ya peace of mind that what you’re going through is normal.

When I got out of rehab (this was pre suboxone treatment) I still had several symptoms for a few months that I had just assumed would be gone after my initial detox. I thought something was wrong with me because everyone had been telling me that after two weeks I should be fine...... and I definitely was NOT. I agree with Amy that there are certain ppl that just have a much harder time with withdrawal and adjusting to life afterwards mentally and physically. I remember having zero energy or motivation and PAWS hit me extremely hard. Nobody had prepared me for PAWS or anything. Heck they acted like I had an eating disorder because I couldn’t eat ........ I was coming off opiates, still feeling bad and having cravings but I was the odd one for having symptoms after two weeks. Some of us just take a little longer to feel completely bk to normal. Sorry I went into my history lesson lol I just wanted to give you an example so that you don’t feel like you’re the only person going through this. But it will get better! For sure.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:19 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you Amy and Jenn! I appreciate your support and input. Yesterday was a day of feeling sorry for myself but feeling a little better today. It can be an emotional rollercoaster for sure. I do think a visit to a Dr would give me some piece of mind as well. I wish you both well!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:24 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hey JB,
Firstly I would like to say congrats!! You are doing so good! Keep your head up, things WILL get better!

I was wondering how long you stayed at 1mg/day before completely stopping? You said you were taking 1/3 of an 8mg strip for 4 years (so that would be 2.67mgs/day) that still seems like a pretty big drop to 1mg/day when you are already at a low dosage because that was technically dropping by about 40%.. nearly cutting the dosage in half. When you get to the lower amounts like 2mg or lower you really begin to feel those drops. Even smaller drops like 25% can give you a hard time. Im not trying to discourage you at all, I think you are doing great! I just dont want people to see this without knowing that there is an easier way. You have to have a lot of patience though!

You are doing great... Keep going and don't give up!!! Are you seeing a counselor, therapist or psychiatrist?? You need to have someone that holds you accountable because it really helps and pushes you to keep going even when you feel like giving up (no matter what the situation is).

I would suggest going to the store and grabbing some OTC "comfort meds". The ones I can think of off the top of my head are Loperamide anti-diarrhea pills (they help with stomach cramps too), Benadryl, Motion Sickness pills, pepto bismol, melatonin and some Tylenol & Aleve. Make sure you are taking your daily multivitamin too. Magnesium supplements will really help with your restless legs so you should grab some!! and so will taking a warm bath with epsom salt in it. Also do you drink hot tea? It really helps you wind down at night when the withdrawals are the worst.

As far as the headaches go, Make sure you dont drink too much caffeine and if you are a heavy caffeine drinker try to cut back and space it out throughout the day so you dont get that crash and get a caffeine headache. Also, skipping meals can most definitely cause headaches so try to eat small, healthy snacks throughout the day. Force yourself to eat if you have to. Eating healthy foods will help you to feel better and not so sluggish. "Ensure" Drinks are great when appetite is low. They provide calories and nutrients and help you feel full.

You should def go to your doctor and request that you have some basic blood testing done to make sure nothing is out of the ordinary. They might also be able to prescribe you something to help you through this process. there are many options as far as comfort meds that are not addictive.

How you are feeling is COMPLETELY NORMAL. Im sorry but your doctor doesnt sound like he was very educated on the tapering/jumping-off process. It is tough and it will be challenging but you will get through this. I have learned way more on this forum that I ever have by any doctor.

Were you thinking about/planning on tapering and getting off of suboxone BEFORE you found out the doctor was going to retire???? Or did you honestly feel pressured because your doctor was leaving and just thought "oh what the hell, might as well get off of it now" ??? When I hear stories like this it concerns me for the patients, as they are usually left to find a new doctor on their own and many relapse or do not continue their MAT.

Please continue posting and we will always be here to cheer you on and give you support!
Jessica

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:21 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi Jessica! I replied to you before but somehow I accidentally deleted it or lost my draft. Its been a pretty great week! Alot has changed. Monday was the turning point...i had a great day and that was really what I needed to rejuvenate myself.

I think a lot of my prolonged issues are due to jumping off on still such a high dose (to me I thought it was a low dose) and how quick I had to taper. I did feel pressure because my doctor was retiring but part of me just thought it's just best to quit then. I didn't want to go through the whole process of finding a new doctor and their requirements.

I still have lingering symptoms and I know it's not over but today is wonderful!

Thanks everyone who responded and for your support!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:22 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hang in there! You are doing great!!!

Jess