It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:13 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

My issues has been going on for almost 2 weeks now. It all started with feeling bloated and constipated. I've been on Suboxone for 6 years now. 8 mg per day. I don't take any other drugs or drink alcohol. I work in a sedentary job (office) and historically haven't been the best about drinking water. I do not regularly take laxatives but I do take metamucil daily which has always helped the constipation. Anyway, I was feeling bloated/constipated. I went to the Dr. They told me to try miralax. I did. It didn't work. I tried stool softeners. They didn't work. I tried magnesium citrate, just made me pass a ton of watery stool and pass a lot of gas. But I still felt bloated. I went to the ER. I've had 2 abdominal x Ray's done at this point and they show moderate to high amount of stool in my GI tract, but no obstruction. The ER gave me something called GoLyghtly, which is a colonoscopy prep. It made me go. But I still felt bloated and abdominal pain. Now, I've not had a normal bowel movement in a week. The ones I do have are smaller and flat. I'm having intermittent abdominal pain and bloating. Taking miralax and metamucil.

I'm very worried that I gave a bowel obstruction or that it's some kind of issue that isn't even caused by the subs like cancer. I'm going back to the Dr tomorrow, but they're always so dismissive of me bc I'm a Suboxone patient. Doctors generally are pretty dismissive of drug addicts. Even though I'm completely upfront with them.

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS - I am a 31 year old male.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:51 am 

Hey Ben!

These GI issues aren’t unique to just suboxone. Sure we can run into these problems just like we did when taking full opiates, especially since suboxone has a partial opiate in it, but some of us just have more problems with constipation (that doesn’t look like I spelled it right lol oh well I got zero sleep last night) than others do. Lots of ppl take suboxone without the constipation problems. Im definitely someone who has occasional issues like this and I have for years, way before starting suboxone. I have actually went to the ER for it when I was on so much oxycodone.

I tried the Mirilax thing and it made me so bloated that I was sick to my stomach. I stopped it pretty quickly after the side effects it gave me. I’ve had a colonoscopy because my dad had colon cancer and me and my brother are supposed to routinely get them every 5 years or so. The liquid stuff you drink that comes in a little bottle that looks like sprite, is that what you’re talking about working? It didn’t work for me at all when I was constipated, I literally tried everything.

Over time, since I am prone to issues like this, I’ve learned what has worked best for my body. The main thing that gets me to moving every single time without fail is Fleet suppositories. I know it’s uncomfortable to do but when you’re suffering then you’re willing to do anything that’ll help.

I started remembering certain foods that I had to stop eating because it’d give me occasional diarrhea, like for me it’s apples or Raisin Bran cereal, and I started adding a little of those things to my diet. It’s worked for at least a year now with no reoccurring problems so far. Those are just a few things I can think of that helped me personally.

I don’t think you should be worried so much about cancer but if you are then request a colonoscopy. That’s how my dad found out he had cancer. Plus a colonoscopy will tell the doctors a lot I’m assuming, so if you’re worried then request it. If you run into doctors that don’t want to listen just because you’re a suboxone patient, then I’d be finding a different doctor. There’s plenty of good ones out there that aren’t judgmental about buprenorphine. Don’t put your life in the hands of someone like that. That makes me mad!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:05 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I had a huge issue with constipation and bloating the entire time ive been on subs, but once I got under 4mgs/day it improved greatly.

I would like to ask how long you took Miralax daily before deciding that it was not helping you. It HAS to be taken every single day or will not work. and it takes about 3-4 days to even start working but if you do not give up it WILL work.

One of my doctors prescribed me "Lactulose" ... it is a liquid synthetic sugar that somehow just WORKS. You drink it in very small amounts (just like you would a cough syrup), only take it at bedtime and I swear it is LIQUID GOLD. It honestly tastes just like corn syrup. and you only need a small amount. It does not make you have diarrhea or gas either. It just helps you go. IDK why I never got prescribed it sooner when I ALWAYS complained to all my doctors of this problem... It was such a simple, easy fix that WORKS.

My neurologist is actually the one that got me on it after complaining about how bad it was to her ONE TIME. It is 100% safe to take regularly, I even confirmed this with my GI doctor. I see him for unrelated issues that I have had since I was a kid (liver tumors). But I wanted to make sure it was 100% safe on my liver before commiting to taking it every single day for years.. and I did.

Once I got down to around 4mgs I found that I didnt need it every day anymore. and im telling you... I was SEVERELY constipated. I wouldnt go for 2 weeks and that was my "normal" while on subs. I was never on a "high" dose either. I was on 6mgs for the majority of my time on subs. I am still on subs now (1mg/day) but I find that i dont need any laxatives anymore. I still take stool softeners because I find that they do help a little but I dont NEED any meds for that like I did before.

Im telling you... ask your doc about LACTULOSE... Its an old med... and its cheap as hell!
Another thing that I swear by is suppositories. You get all the relief with none of the nausea or cramps. They work quickly and help to relieve bloating as well. I always liked the Dulcolax brand... the glycerin-based ones never worked for me.

Make sure you stay away from too much sodium, carbonated drinks, caffiene, and drink plenty of water. Please let us know how you are doing. A lot of us go through this on subs.

Have you ever had an endoscopy? I had similar symptoms to you and found out I had a stomach ulcer & erosion of the stomach lining due to taking too many NSAIDs for pain.. That can also cause severe pain and bloating.

I normally dont like to believe people when they blame any type of issue they have all on subs but this one I know can be true because I also went through it when I was on a higher dosage than I am now. Have you tried lowering your dose a bit? even to 6mg may help relieve some of your issues.

P.S. If magnesium is giving you loose watery stools its because your body is not absorbing it properly or you are taking way too much. Diarrhea from magnesium usually means an overdose of magnesium.
Magnesium oxide is usually the one that causes the worst diarrhea if you take too much of it. you may want to try another version that your body can better absorb, and taking a regular multivitamin along with it can help your body absorb other nutrients better.

I wish you luck!! Please keep us updated!
Jess

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:03 pm 

I would definitely recommend that you follow the suggestions that Jess and Jenn have given you. However, if none of that helps, if you're still having the same issues, keep pushing for more tests. If you were a woman I would tell you to get checked for ovarian cancer, as pain and bloating can be symptoms of that cancer.

I hope that these suggestions help you! I'm sure it's very uncomfortable to be feeling this way!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:03 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Jess1208 wrote:
I had a huge issue with constipation and bloating the entire time ive been on subs, but once I got under 4mgs/day it improved greatly.

I would like to ask how long you took Miralax daily before deciding that it was not helping you. It HAS to be taken every single day or will not work. and it takes about 3-4 days to even start working but if you do not give up it WILL work.

One of my doctors prescribed me "Lactulose" ... it is a liquid synthetic sugar that somehow just WORKS. You drink it in very small amounts (just like you would a cough syrup), only take it at bedtime and I swear it is LIQUID GOLD. It honestly tastes just like corn syrup. and you only need a small amount. It does not make you have diarrhea or gas either. It just helps you go. IDK why I never got prescribed it sooner when I ALWAYS complained to all my doctors of this problem... It was such a simple, easy fix that WORKS.

My neurologist is actually the one that got me on it after complaining about how bad it was to her ONE TIME. It is 100% safe to take regularly, I even confirmed this with my GI doctor. I see him for unrelated issues that I have had since I was a kid (liver tumors). But I wanted to make sure it was 100% safe on my liver before commiting to taking it every single day for years.. and I did.

Once I got down to around 4mgs I found that I didnt need it every day anymore. and im telling you... I was SEVERELY constipated. I wouldnt go for 2 weeks and that was my "normal" while on subs. I was never on a "high" dose either. I was on 6mgs for the majority of my time on subs. I am still on subs now (1mg/day) but I find that i dont need any laxatives anymore. I still take stool softeners because I find that they do help a little but I dont NEED any meds for that like I did before.

Im telling you... ask your doc about LACTULOSE... Its an old med... and its cheap as hell!
Another thing that I swear by is suppositories. You get all the relief with none of the nausea or cramps. They work quickly and help to relieve bloating as well. I always liked the Dulcolax brand... the glycerin-based ones never worked for me.

Make sure you stay away from too much sodium, carbonated drinks, caffiene, and drink plenty of water. Please let us know how you are doing. A lot of us go through this on subs.

Have you ever had an endoscopy? I had similar symptoms to you and found out I had a stomach ulcer & erosion of the stomach lining due to taking too many NSAIDs for pain.. That can also cause severe pain and bloating.

I normally dont like to believe people when they blame any type of issue they have all on subs but this one I know can be true because I also went through it when I was on a higher dosage than I am now. Have you tried lowering your dose a bit? even to 6mg may help relieve some of your issues.

P.S. If magnesium is giving you loose watery stools its because your body is not absorbing it properly or you are taking way too much. Diarrhea from magnesium usually means an overdose of magnesium.
Magnesium oxide is usually the one that causes the worst diarrhea if you take too much of it. you may want to try another version that your body can better absorb, and taking a regular multivitamin along with it can help your body absorb other nutrients better.

I wish you luck!! Please keep us updated!
Jess

So they took another x ray. I have a large amount of stool stuck in my upper intestine. They prescribed me Linzess a week ago, but it hasn't helped. Idk what to do. They said it's not obstructive. I think what happened is I used metamucil for so many years that it caused my stool to gel up and get caught in my upper intestine. So now an enema won't work. These meds won't work. They may have to do surgery. Idk. God this sucks. I have to take subs. But the side effects are just so much. Idk what to do. This combined with the fact that it kills my sex drive (my wife and I haven't been together in 2 years physically AND I tried testosterone gel). I just feel like if I come off the subs I'll start using again. I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't. Idk what to do.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:18 am 

Your dilemma sucks so much, and I'm sorry that you are having these problems. I feel for you and wish I could wave a magic wand to unstick you.

I don't know what can be done about your intestines that you aren't already doing, except for one thing. Obviously, you can't stop taking your medication since it is saving your life. What you could do, however, is trying a two week break from it. This will not be a pleasant thing to do!! I wouldn't be recommending it if your problem wasn't so daunting. However, it might be a reasonable alternative to surgery. We know that if you go into withdrawal CT it will be super uncomfortable, but it might be the one thing that loosens your stool. You can then restart on a lower dose and find an amount that both stops the cravings and allows your digestive system and sex life to work.

Another alternative. You can taper down the amount you are on until you reach the above "sweet spot" that keeps you from relapsing, but allows you better function.

Are you willing to try this?

Amy

P.S. The suggestion I am making should only be done under the supervision of your prescribing doctor.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:50 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Ugh I tried Lizness and Amitiza and they both made me so nauseous constantly that I couldnt handle it. Ask your Dr. about Lactulose!!!!

Have you explored other recovery options? Such as Revia or the monthly injections that do not include any opiates??

I wish you the best! Keep us updated. So sorry nothing is giving you relief. DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!

Jessica