It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: 6 days off suboxone
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:51 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I have been been on suboxone for a couple years now, first I was self medicating and then I found a doctor. Before that I was on pills, h, and anything else I could get around. 6 days ago I decided I was gonna stop, I felt like my doctor was just in it for the money so she wasn't much of a help so I decided to do it my self. I didn't taper, I stopped cold turkey taking 4mg. It's been 6 days now and honestly I feel great but that is the part that scared me. Yea I have the sweating and the nervous feeling but I sleep fine at night and don't have any of the other problems most people post about. So my concern is that the worst is yet to come. I think the worse part is the u known to me. And would just like to know what I should be expecting. Thank you!

Last edited by hsanders07 on Thu May 03, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 6 days of suboxone
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:12 pm 

Hello Hsanders!

Well I don’t have any personal experience with tapering lower doses or stopping buprenorphine, so I can’t help you much on what to expect. I do know that since buprenorphine has a longer half-life so it may take it a little longer to start seeing withdrawal symptoms than normal. Since you’re at day 6 though, I’d think, if you were going to have symptoms, you’d be starting to feel them by now. It’s very possible that you’re experiencing some of these symptoms but that you’ve been expecting it to be so bad that you don’t recognize it yet.... did that make sense lol?

4mg is a higher dose to just stop at cold turkey, I would assume that you will experience some symptoms, but hey if you’re not then you’re not. If you’re not then that’s awesome right? It wouldn’t be unheard of I guess. I just talked about a friend of mine in another post that stopped at 4mg but now he’d been forgetting to take his medicine some days and he just stopped. He swore he didn’t have any withdrawal (that’s only his account of things so take it however you can). If you’re going to be having symptoms and they just haven’t shown up yet, then I’d assume that 6 days is right on the line of it beginning. But don’t let me discourage ya at all because I’m just throwing out scenarios here :)

I wish you could have tapered to a much lower dose over a longer period of time, but I also understand not everyone can do that for whatever reason. If it becomes overwhelming, hopefully since your doctor wasn’t in the loop about your stopping, then you can just go bk and do a slower taper. Hopefully that’s still an option for you.

If you do get withdrawal, then the symptoms would be just like the regular withdrawal someone would get from stopping opiates. Buprenorphine doesn’t have any symptoms that are unique, it’s all the same when stopping anything like that.

I wish you well and hopefully others with the experience you’re needing will be along soon.

Post subject: Re: 6 days of suboxone
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for your reply. I heard day I and 9 are the worse which will be a weekend and I'll be off work thank god lol but the reason I stopped is bc my Dr messed up on my script and I had to wait a week to get them filled so I figured of I'm gonna make it that far mine as well just stop. My only problem with tapering like any addict is of I have it, I'm gonna do it. I've tried that way and I'm not strong enough so at least this way I know I have no option. But thank you so much for your response and I'll keep you updated :)

Post subject: Re: 6 days off suboxone
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:44 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I made it to 1 week, I am so proud of myself and as of right now still not having terrible wd!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:01 pm 

That is great! So you’re good on the no withdrawal, how about any cravings or are you good on none of that either? Because cravings is what always concerns me and if I could make it without cravings, I’d be soooo happy.

I’m just going to ask this question, don’t think I’m trying to encourage you to go bk to buprenorphine since you’re stopped because I’m not. If something happens and you do need to go bk on the medicine, is getting the script out of the pharmacy an option? I know you don’t want to and you said that it being around you makes it more difficult, but if something goes left can you getting your medicine out of the pharmacy be an option still? I was just curious about that because knowing I could get it would personally make me feel a little bit better.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Of course, I could still get it. But honestly I don't even have craving. Like knowing it's sitting at the pharmacy has no effect on me. I was on it so long it kind of made it seem like it was no longer a drug I guess so that made it easier. I was terrified of all the horror stories and that's why I stayed on so long but now I have no urge to want togo back. I mean I can't say that if I was around it I could say no yet, that's why it's still in the pharmacy lol but I'm doing this alone and not around people that do it bc I think as soon as some one talks about getting it, and your calling everyone to find it, that's when the wdsget worse for me.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Morning of day 8, I slept like a baby and feel great! I sure hope this is it and nothing pops up and surprises me ugh

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well it's the nighg/ morning of day 9 and the restless legs started uvh its 4am and cant sleep ! It's frustration because I just want to sleep:( other than than and a couple trips to the bathroom, I'm still doing good and not gonna give up! :)

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:32 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hsanders07,

Congratulations for making it to day 9! Not alot of people can do what you are doing, so that's great! How do you feel now? I was reading your posts & thought I'd chime in, I'd be too afraid to go cold turkey, the thought of it gives me dread to be honest. Buprenorphine has a veryyyy long Half life; 36 hours. So the withdrawal symptoms would've definitely kicked in by now, & you're doing so great! I really admire you! Keep us updated & let us know how you're doing!

Ash

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ash
Thanks for replying. I really have no one to talk to through all this. But honestly the fear of withdrawal is what kept me on it for so long.i feel great today, I'm tired but that's probably from notsleeping last night. I took a trip this week end tojust get away and keep my mind busy but I actually went and picked the med up from the pharmacy and flushed them all just so there was no temptation and I knew I wouldn't give in and actually it felt great.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:48 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hsanders07,

Wow!!! That's absolutely amazing that you feel the way you do... How do you feel mentally? Do you feel good? Depressed? Be sure to drink alot of water & get a good source of vitamins. You said that you have no one to talk to... Well now you have me :) I'll do the best I can to help you through this. I can't believe that you flushed them either!! Talk about will power!!!

Ash

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ash
The depression is there, I cry for no reason sometimes but I'm gonna try to make an appt with my family doctor to get something to help with that. I really just wanted to feel that power of knowing that I didn't need them nor want them. I'm glad I found someone to talk to through this because although the withdrawal ends, the side effects are still there for a couple months. But thank you!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also, do you plan on stopping like tapering down or Anything?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:53 pm 

Welcome to the forum, hsanders! I hope that you are over the hump with any withdrawal symptoms you might feel. It may not be easy and totally comfortable, but it's definitely doable.

Symptoms usually peak in 7 to 11 days. It's very likely that you are already on the downward slope.

We recommend that people stay on their buprenorphine for at least a couple of years, working on their addiction as they go. If you don't do the recovery work, you are often right back where you started when you taper off your medication. Research studies are showing that long term maintenance is best for buprenorphine patients.

I wish you the best as you finish detoxing. Please remember that it's crucial that you continue recovery work now that you don't have the safety net of buprenorphine.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amy
Thank You! It's day 11 today :) so proud, I never thought I could do it. I'm over the with drawls but the paws are pretty bad, luckily my family doctor knew I was gonna do it so i seen him yesterday and he have me medicine to sleep and for the anxiety and depression which is seeming to work. I slept a full night last night so hopefully it just gets better from here!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:28 pm 

I'm so happy for you! Maybe I'm being such a girl, but I teared up from reading your post.

(I always feel badly for people who say that they're disconnected from their emotions during MAT. My emotions are so close to the surface, and I find that I only get more emotional as I grow older.)

Keep us posted and enjoy that sleep! I think the lack of sleep that some people experience from detoxing is what really brings them down. I've never had a problem falling asleep, but I remember the nights that my son was a young infant. The lack of sleep affected me deeply.

I'm glad that your doctor recognized your needs while detoxing and helped you with medication! As long as you don't take too much of it for too long, I think you're good to go!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:27 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hsanders07,

Wow, it really is amazing to know that you're doing so much better!!! We're all here right behind you!

To answer your question about whether or not I will taper down or eventually stop, I'm gonna have to say no, I really don't plan on stopping anytime soon. However, I may have to lower my dose for state insurance reasons. The thought of coming off my medication really scares me. I remember before I started my treatment, I had gotten out of rehab & I felt so terrible for about a week straight. I couldn't leave my house, I didn't feel the drive to do the daily things that I usually do. So, like I said, I am not ready to stop nor taper. But if I absolutely have to, then I will taper down a bit.

I'm so happy for you! Keep it up! We're all here for you!

Ash

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you! Still holding strong and not gonna give in. I mean it sucks still but it's tolerable i guess. I still can't sleep and have no energy but other than that I'm ok. But those two things alone are enough to drive anyone crazy lol

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:14 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hsanders07,

Have you ever tried meditation? I heard this really helps with anxiety, it also helps you to relax. Turn on some soft piano or light Indian flute & close your eyes. Clear your mind of everything, try to at least. I know that when I feel anxious or unable to sleep, I meditate. It really helps me.

Ash

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well I will try it! Thank you. I'm willing to try anything at this point. I tried calling my sub Dr to see if they were able to prescribe some thing bc I feel like they know better than my family Dr. But they literally told me they couldn't help me. Tomorrow is 2 weeks so hopefully things get a little better :) hoping any way