It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:04 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello everyone!! So maybe this is only in my head but here it goes..so last fall in october I had to get a root canal and this was also the first dental procedure ive had done since being on suboxone in the last few years..I needed so much more novacain then I can remember ever getting in the years prior to being on suboxone..i was sitting there thinking the doc says I should be good but it barely feels numb and it's not preventing pain..so I raise hand tell him I still feel it..afterwords he says you needed way more injections then the usual person gets..i have another root canal this week and this is why I'm posting about it now..does suboxone some how neutralize the novacain? I'm just curious. Thanks!!
JSN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:29 pm 

Id would say No. What novacain does is block pain locally in the mouth. This way the pain cant reach the nerves and so forth. Once awhile back i needed more injections for a 3rd root canal. my Doc told me sometimes it just happens. Nerves are all over the place in our mouths so a few extra shots are not abnormal. Suboxone blocks Opiates at the reseptor level in our brains. It would not block novacain imo.. You ll be fine. Good luck razor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:03 pm 

I’ve had several trips to the dentist while I’ve been taking suboxone and actually have an appointment in a couple of weeks to go bk. I’ve never had the suboxone mess with my pain relief from the numbing shots. I told my dentist I was taking it beforehand because I wanted him to know I didn’t want any pain medication. I could still feel the pressure lol which isn’t fun at all, but the numbing shots weren’t effected with me.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:38 am 

I had the exact same thing happen when I was getting a root canal fifteen years ago! They kept shooting me full of novacaine, shot after shot because it wasn't doing the job! I came down with Bell's Palsy on that side of my face 4 days later!

This was before I was addicted and long before I started suboxone. My current dentist knows this story because I got freaked out when he was going to block that same side to do some work. He went in with the needle very carefully! And he said, "No wonder they had a problem numbing you! Your nerve is in an unusual place."

So I suggest that you have the same issue I have. The nerve they were trying to block is not quite in the usual place in your anatomy. We have nerve placement issues! I am relieved that you haven't mentioned coming down with Bell's Palsy from your dental adventure at least! It's not fun!

Amy