It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been at 4-6 mg of suboxone during my first 6 years of a total of 9 years in treatment. After that it increased to between 10-12 mg, moving in the wrong direction. Beginning in January 2018 a movement in the opposite direction started because I read about others on this medication having little difficulty reducing to levels between 2-4 mg, ok a piece of cake yes? Well maybe. I feel some discomfort at 6mg, mostly minor headaches and nausea, if I rest for an hour, I’m much better. I have been reducing slowly without a problem, but 6mg seems to be tough to overcome.
Also during this same period I switched to Bunavail. At first it was better for me than suboxone, but recently I have my suspicions. The problem is isolated to when I take the bunavail while relaxing in my chair. The side effect is chest tightness or mild breathing difficulty after falling asleep for an hour or two. It happens at my current dosage of 3mg in terms equal the same amount of suboxone. If I take the equivalent amount of suboxone while relaxing in the chair, I fall asleep the same way, but the chest tightness or mild breathing difficulty is not present. So I am splitting doses, 3mg in the morning and 3mg later in the day. If I take the Bunavail and stay busy I feel no side effect, it is only if I lay back and fall asleep. I think my dose is to high and I will continue to taper. Still I do not understand why equal amounts of the same drug, in one instance causes side effects. Both Bunavail and suboxone contain buprenorphine/naloxone.
Thank-You Everybody!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:07 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have problems breathing off and on especially when sitting in a chair or sitting up.
I wake up gasping or Ive stopped breathing several times and I am supposed to use CPAP.
I can not say its from Suboxone because my grandfather had it and my grandmother used too wake him up to keep him breathing.I think its from tobacco use.
I personally don't think its suboxone in my case,but what helps me breathe better and feel better in minutes is exercise.Long walks enough to get my heart rate up and my lungs fully opened up.
Lungs are bags so they don't need to open all the way when resting, but when walking they can fill up to full capacity and work properly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:00 am 

Personally I don’t really think it’s the buprenorphine causing this if it’s only when ur laying bk or sitting bk in ur chair relaxing. If it was from the Bunavail or suboxone, then I’d think it would happen regardless if ur relaxing laying down or not. That’s just my take on it, maybe suboxdoc or Docm2 (the two doctors on the forum) would help u figure this out a little better.

Regardless I hate to hear ur dealing with this and I hope u get it figured out ASAP because that’s got to be so scary. My fiancé has heart issues and anytime he feels any chest tightness or pains, he gets scared. Heck any of us would , it’s a scary feeling.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:21 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

rob500 wrote:
I personally don't think its suboxone in my case,but what helps me breathe better and feel better in minutes is exercise.Long walks enough to get my heart rate up and my lungs fully opened up. Lungs are bags so they don't need to open all the way when resting, but when walking they can fill up to full capacity and work properly.

Thank-You for responding Rob! I have to change my thoughts on the Bunavail causing the issue because I thought about what you said about the physiology of the lungs which makes complete sense. I am pretty sure the problem occurs when I eat a lot of food and then take my bunavail after filling up on food while relaxing in the chair. Plus as you said, the lungs are not opening as much because of the inactivity. Also to clarify the side effect ,it is more like a feeling of pressure moving from my upper chest into my neck and even into my head a little but it effects my breathing also. So, it is not so much chest pain but more like the way I just described it. I agree with you on the exercise as I too enjoy long walks and riding my bicycle. Lately I have not been exercising as much.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have had EXTREME breathing issues while tapering from suboxone, so I think you are on to something and don't let others on here convince you otherwise.

I am 6'2'' 180lbs and have to use a damn CPAP because my breathing has become so difficult. It is getting worse and the fatigue I deal with is ridiculous. I am down to about .5mg a day and have nearly zero drive to do anything. I work when I have to, but am lucky as I am in sales and have a good amount of money saved up,

Anyhow, breathing is getting worse and i'm hoping it gets better as I come off, but this drug has been an absolute drain on my life.

has anyone else noticed irregular breathing at any point of their sub experience? Whether its exhaling or inhaling, I want to get to the bottom of this.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:50 pm 

May 05, 2018 8:07 pm
"I have had EXTREME breathing issues while tapering from suboxone, so I think you are on to something and don't let others on here convince you otherwise.”

That is the second time I have read this and I don’t understand why anyone would try to `convince’ anyone something that is that important just to be untruthful or whatever that claim means by saying convince. That’s not what anyone on this forum is doing.

If I thought suboxone was causing me that extreme of a side effect, and wouldn’t believe otherwise, I’d be switching to Methadone.... tapering or not.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:14 pm 

We always welcome people to go on full agonist opioids (like methadone) when they, for one reason or another, can't stand buprenorphine. If I were having horrible, life draining breathing problems on a medication, and I took just .5mg a day, I would jump right off! I mean, this is your life here! A little smidge of minor withdrawal symptoms is a small price to pay for being able to breathe.

For sure, you should free up a spot with your doctor for a person who is much more concerned with stopping breathing during an opioid overdose than they are with some potential side effects of buprenorphine. I don't know if you are being literal or figurative about this medication being life-draining, but the spot with your addiction doctor should go to someone who is literally losing their life on heroin or fentanyl. That way both of your lives will improve! He won't have to gamble his life every time he hits the needle, and you will be able to breathe any way you want to. A win-win!!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
We always welcome people to go on full agonist opioids (like methadone) when they, for one reason or another, can't stand buprenorphine. If I were having horrible, life draining breathing problems on a medication, and I took just .5mg a day, I would jump right off! I mean, this is your life here! A little smidge of minor withdrawal symptoms is a small price to pay for being able to breathe.

For sure, you should free up a spot with your doctor for a person who is much more concerned with stopping breathing during an opioid overdose than they are with some potential side effects of buprenorphine. I don't know if you are being literal or figurative about this medication being life-draining, but the spot with your addiction doctor should go to someone who is literally losing their life on heroin or fentanyl. That way both of your lives will improve! He won't have to gamble his life every time he hits the needle, and you will be able to breathe any way you want to. A win-win!!

Amy

In the process of tapering. Sad fact is without taking the small amount of Sub I do take daily, I have ZERO MOTIVATION and basically want to die. Top that off with the shallow breathing that may or may not be 100% because of the sub taper itself, it is extremely hard to jump off all at once. I barely have the ability to work a few hours a day, let alone decide I want to jump into the depths of hell for a month long brutal withdrawal.

Long story short: I waited way too long to come off this med, and now several long term side effects have hit me. This drug is not meant to be left on for years but many get stuck there because of the long half life and extremely additive properties.

The day I got on Suboxone will forever be a day I wish I could take back. I wasn't an intravenous heroin user, and should have never been put on such a hardcore mantainence drug. This drug is hardcore, and should only be given to the most desperate of drug addicts. In fact, it should be illegal to prescribe someone over 8mg daily. Sub doctors were and still are extremely naive to the negatives of this medicine.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

jennjenn wrote:
May 05, 2018 8:07 pm
"I have had EXTREME breathing issues while tapering from suboxone, so I think you are on to something and don't let others on here convince you otherwise.”

That is the second time I have read this and I don’t understand why anyone would try to `convince’ anyone something that is that important just to be untruthful or whatever that claim means by saying convince. That’s not what anyone on this forum is doing.

If I thought suboxone was causing me that extreme of a side effect, and wouldn’t believe otherwise, I’d be switching to Methadone.... tapering or not.

Ive seen several Suboxone apologists insist that since they haven't experienced a specific side effect that it can't be the sub. Dr. Junig especially has that mindset and its really sad to see. So lets not act like people don't get defensive when their wonder drug is called out as being bad.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:27 pm 

If you start becoming combative here or insulting the person who created this forum, you will be banned. We wouldn't have a Side Effects section if we didn't know that side effects exist. We have just noticed that there are plenty of people who would prefer to blame buprenorphine for everything instead of taking personal responsibility for themselves. Keep your comments on point.

I agree that some doctors are not well informed about this medication. Our doctor, however, is an expert from long experience.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:32 pm 

* Dr. Junig especially has that mindset and its really sad to see. So lets not act like people don't get defensive when their wonder drug is called out as being bad.*

You’re so ready, at any point and without provocation, to automatically assume ppl here are purposely being untruthful about this medications side effects. To me, it seems like you joined here just ticked off for whatever reason...... that’s the feeling I have gotten.

I agree, and have said it a few times here, that buprenorphine should not be given to just anyone. I don’t think that just because someone walks into an office requesting this medication or someone not being treated as an individual and not just because they have a pill issue, should just be written a script and sent on their way. There’s definitely some doctors out there that is giving this medication a bad stigma.... just like patients giving this medicine a negative stigma when they go sell their medicine or use it to just get by until their next fix. I also think that at some point though, everyone that’s even thinking about taking buprenorphine should do their own individual research, so that if they are seeing a doctor that’s not so educated or willing to explain, they know the basics on what to expect. I do that with antibiotics or blood pressure medicine, so why wouldn’t I educate myself on this medicine before I commit to taking it? The founder of this forum, Dr. Junig, and the other doctor that visits our forum regularly, docm2, are some of the best doctors I’ve ever heard of when it comes to this treatment.

If you’re looking for a place to bash this medicine, then there’s so many other websites you can go to for that instead of here. We will defend buprenorphine here and that’s just how it is. That’s not going to change.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:21 pm 

I was on 80 to 120 mg of oxycodone a day. Buprenorphine was perfect for me.

At the time it meant that I didn't have to disrupt the life of my 13 year old son by going away for 30 to 90 days, or even intensive outpatient every single evening. It was bad enough that he had to find out that his mother is an addict. I didn't want him to have anymore losses because of me.

The other thing I had going for me that made buprenorphine the best treatment for me is that I was very motivated to turn my life around. That meant that I wasn't going to take the medication and become complacent about my recovery. I wanted my family to be proud of me. I wanted my son to see that I was willing to work hard to overcome this problem. I think it showed him what resilience is.

Maybe being a parent makes you different and more ready for treatment, whether it's MAT or abstinence based treatment. But the truth is that the relapse rate for opioid addicts is abysmal unless you are on buprenorphine or methadone, and that's whether you have children or not.

Yes, Jenn. I always wonder about the people who come here with an automatic chip on their shoulder are really on buprenorphine, or if they are a true-believer from a 12 step group. There is definitely a bias among some addicts that people on a maintenance medication don't have to work as hard for their sobriety as they do, and they feel bitter about this. It's very sad.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:47 pm 

Yes Amy! It definitely makes me wonder what the motivation would be to enter a forum and immediately start warning ppl that they shouldn’t let the other members here convince them of this or that. Nobody is trying to convince anyone of anything. This is a miracle medication to me though :)