It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:54 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi all

So I live in Australia and have been on Suboxone around 2 months. Stable and happy on 12mg and I'd like to stay on it. Before all this happened we booked a family holiday to USA for around 3.5 weeks, it goes something like this, 1 night in LA, then 1 week in NY then a few days in Canada then back to LA for 2 weeks. This was booked long before I was on Sub.

In Australia, you must report to a pharmacy daily for supervised dosing in front of a pharmacist. Take homes can be earned after 6 months of stable treatment. I sort of assumed that if I supplied copies of hotel bookings, plane tickets etc I would be given take homes to cover the holiday, however one of the conditions is you must have been in stable treatment for 2 years. So this was refused. My Dr however does seem cooperative.

Is there a way I can make an appointment when I land in NYC and see a Dr and get a 3-4 week supply? Is 100% guaranteed and I can arrange before I leave Australia? If I understand correctly from what I have read Suboxone isn't necessarily supervised dosing daily in USA? I just want to get my supply and go on with my holiday with wife and kids.

If it's not going to be possible I'll need to start detoxing now which I dread to be honest.

If anyone can help, point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:38 am 

The answer is a "maybe". Meaning IF you can find a Dr here willing to do such a thing. It would take many phone calls to many see here to see if one would do it. Dies your own Dr know of any docs here in the states ? That would help. Problem is that Suboxone is the most regulated med in the US. I'm just saying it is not impossible but highly improbable this will work out the way you want it to. Just my opinion. It would take the right Dr to do it. Plus, each state has it's own laws so look at what NY and Cali have to say about your issue. Razor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:51 am 

I suggest that you contact Workit Health. They have mobile units in both Michigan and California, and you might be able to get an appointment with one of their doctors. It's worth a shot to contact them to see if they can see you the day you will be there. Here is their website. https://www.workithealth.com/

If that doesn't work here is what some people might do. Hypothetically, if someone were in your shoes they might either postpone the holiday or... (I am not suggesting you do this as it is illegal!), find a source that sells suboxone strips illegally, buy the amount you will need, and enjoy your holiday. I have heard that some people slip their strips in between Crest whitestrips while they travel to avoid detection. Now, none of that is safe! There is no guarantee that you won't be caught. Can you imagine what it would be like to be stopped at customs with your kids and led away in handcuffs? But some take that gamble.

What would your pharmacy think if you were suddenly gone for 3 weeks? Would they refuse you when you got back home? These are all considerations for you to make. If your doctor seems amenable, what could he do to help you through this trip? I don't even know.

Anyway, I hope that workit health can help you out!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes to those comments... and to clarify, it is done in different ways in the US. Buprenorphine meds are sometimes used in place of methadone, at clinics where people dose daily. More often, at least in the Midwest, buprenorphine meds are prescribed from doctors or nurse practitioners at their offices, which may be primary care practices or may be other specialties - pain, psychiatry, or addiction for example.

One other idea-- contact the methadone programs near where you're going to be, and ask if any treat with buprenorphine-- and if so, if they will guest dose you. In the US, people can 'guest dose' at other treatment centers if they leave their home area. I would NOT recommend guest dosing with methadone, if that were even possible. Yes, it would work at the front end; you could take 30 mg of methadone each day (the maximum dispensed the first day) and it would take effect as the buprenorphine wears off, without precipitating withdrawal. But the change back would be very difficult; you would have to be off methadone for at least a few days to avoid precipitated withdrawal when restarting buprenorphine.

I doubt that is even possible; people to guest-dose in other countries, but you would likely have to be on methadone first in your country. So instead, call all the clinics you can find and ask if any use buprenorphine-- and if they don't, ask if they know any who do.

G'day!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:27 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi guys.

Firstly thank you for all the replies. I will try to answer as many relevant questions as I can.

Someone suggested the black market - while it's an option I'd really like to avoid it. My Dr has hinted at guest dosing - given me some lists of 100's of Subuxone Drs in USA, now from what I've seen it looks like a pretty complex way to go about it - it seems to be more of a domestic thing for people already in the USA and i am hopping state to state even to Canada for 3 days. Ideally I'd do 1 consult and have enough doses to take with me my entire trip (but please if this is never going to happen spell it out for me now).

I think Amy's idea to contact work it is the best one in this thread (thank you!) and I guess what I'd most like is to find a clinic like this in NYC, where I can just pay a fee, get a script for the duration of my holiday and on with it.

In regards to the questions about just vanishing from my pharmacy, well yes if I did it via black market it would be jumping through a bunch of hoops to get back on the program, but if I can line something up before I leave Australia that is not going to be an issue, as my absence is explained.

I'll keep you all posted, worst case is I have to taper off but I'm hoping it does not come to that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:26 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Workit Health has come back to me, yes that would be a possibility for that leg of the trip, I'd need to make a 1 off visit to their office in Walnut Creek though and pay $75 a week. That is manageable so thank you so much for that idea Amy! It's around a 5 hour drive from where I will be staying but not ruling it out yet.

Now if I can either persuade my Dr to give me the first week when I am in NYC in take homes (that is most ideal outcome but unlikely unfortunately) or find somewhere in NYC (recommendations welcome) like Workit health where I can go once and get a week or twos supply my problem is solved.

Thank you all for your help so far.