It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:31 am 
New Poster
New Poster

So i recently started the suboxone program and I believe I might be getting ripped off. So when I first started going to this new clinic that opened I was charged 300 dollars for my first visit (even though I have health insurance. Then Ive been forced to go there twice a week for urine tests, and after one month I get a bill for 700 dollars that my insurance doesnt cover. I ask why the fuck its so expensive and why doesnt my insurance cover it... and apparently its because hes giving me SUPER expensive metabolite urine tests every week that show the amount of metabolites of EVERY SINGLE SUBSTANCE even though I am passing my UA's. I also found out that the doctor I am seeing also owns the place where the lab tests are taken. Is this normal procedure? for 1000 dollars a month I might as well be on heroin still. Thanks for any info you can provide. If he is fucking me over then I will try to find someone else.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:55 am 

I have heard of scams like this. Have you felt any kind of pressure, like if you don't pay the bill the doctor will stop prescribing to you?? Because that is extortion and it's illegal!

I have a friend who was the practice manager at a clinic that did orthopedic medicine and addiction medicine. Well, my friend found out that the doctor who is ordering these tests at a specific lab is part owner of the lab!! Your case is even more straight forward than that! Especially if you are threatened with an end to treatment if you don't comply!

I would work hard and fast at finding a new doctor, and then report this doctor to your state medical board!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If they are in violation of the STARK rules, you may be entitled to a financial reward. BUT, I would get established with another provider first. You don't want to come to your next appointment and see crime scene tape across the entrance.
PAX

http://starklaw.org/stark-law-faq.htm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is soooo sad to hear about and sadder yet is becoming more and more common. Is it legal? I can't say for sure. Is it a scam? In my opinion YES. It is certainly not standard of care to test to this level several times a week. It is almost like a license to print money. Testing on substances that are negative is even more deplorable. Why get specific levels on something not even present in the sample? Zero is zero is zero!

I have heard of some docs getting charred for Medicare fraud for this type of crap. I would run away from this provider as fast as you can. I would then expose him in any way I could. But that's just me. It's sick that we have an opioid epidemic and a Heath insurance crises going on and this slimey doc is padding his pockets and getting rich off of it. To me it's only one step below the pill mill docs of years ago. I could not sleep at night. Again, that's just who I am.

I'm hoping Dr. Junig sees and comments on this as I know he's seen it happen and hates it like I do.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:43 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

When I first started taking suboxone , I went to a Dr. that had similar practice. I called around to large psychiatric practices until I found someone who would take my insurance. Nine months after I started my employer changed insurance providers and the new company covered suboxone. I went from paying over $1000 a month to a $15 office copay and $11 drug copay. Keep searching. There are providers that will work with you. Once, at the end of the year, I went over on my drug benefits and the D r. RXed plain buprenorphine for one month to save me money.