It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: My journey here
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on pain meds for 10 years due to a surgical error. This left me with a pancreas that is calsifing. So I have chronic pancreatitis. This is very painful, I also happen to crush two discs in my back.
I went on methadone and diladud (believe that’s Vicodin in the US) I started at 150 mgs of methadone plus 16 mgs of diladud for breakthrough. I was able to wean myself down to half the methadone over a yr.
I was fed up with the effects of methadone and diladud. My Dr said the suboxone was the best choice. So he said the magic number was 50mgs of methadone a day to start subs. I got to my 50mgs plus my diladud. He told me I had to be drug free for 3 days. So I went off all meds except my benzodiazepines and gaba and trazadone. After 3 days he felt I was ready. I went to take my first 2mg pill. Well within minutes my heart raced, by the time we got home about 15 minutes more my body started to “twitch”. I started running around the house in the worst pain ever and my body convulsioning. My husband called the dr and he told him what to give me to relax the withdrawals. I did have PW. I went back to the dr that day and we said left wait another.

Well for me it took 5 days to get to w/d. My next attempt at subs went much smoother. I am now on 10mgs. I wanted to stay at 8 but I was waking up with those minor withdrawal feelings. I’m now 31 days on subs. Well let me tell you, I have a life. Yes I don’t like eating is hard to do, yes I hate I’m tired at times but prior I slept 16 hours a day, now I’m awake and if I need a nap I allow it. I’ve never felt happier. I’ve lost some weight and went and got my hair done and I care how I look again.

I have spent time reading here a lot but felt ready to say hi and share a small amount of my story.. I want to offer my shoulder or hand to others starting out. It’s tough but you will see a new life in just a day or 2. I’m rebuilding my relationships and after 5 yrs of methadone use feel free for the first time. I’m in Canada and we are required to dose at the pharmacy each day for 8 weeks. This is costly as each dose after insurance is 5.00 plus gas and time to go get my dose but at least I’m able to live again. Plus soon I’ll get carries home and that keeps me going.

Thank you too all who shared their very personal journeys so far as it makes me see I made the right choice.

Post subject: Re: My journey here
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Smootchie,

My name is Queenie. Wow! What a story. I could feelyour pain. You were so strong!

I am so happy that you found Suboxone and you found our home. I hope you feel welcome. We have a great bunch of people here, that are always willing to help and be a friend.

So, sit back, relax by the fire, have some cioffee or tea. I'm sure someone will be stopping by here & there. Please know that you have friends here.

My best to you. Stay strong.

Queenie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:53 am 

Welcome smoochie!

What a brave and determined journey! It’s usually a more difficult transition when switching from methadone to suboxone. U did it and sharing ur story here will help others, I have no doubt. We sometimes have ppl needing help with their transition.

Ur health issues sounds very painful and I’m sorry u have to deal with that each day. I hope suboxone helps with some of ur pain.

Hope u stick around smoochie!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:13 pm 

It's good to have you here, Smootchie!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the warm welcome. I think this is an amazing site. To see each other support each other is wonderful. My best friend made the choice to walk away from me during this time. She’s never been overly supportive but I am thinking is now threatened I will see her drug abuse and speak up. Though for myself I used methadone and diludid for what is was prescribed for there is a very fine line between dependency and addiction. I now see I do have addiction issues and am seeking help for them. But Suboxone is a life giver. It makes the world normal to you again.
Most say how did you do it? The answer was easy for me, I had too. I didn’t have choices left. I hated my life. Now I see what I can have if I try.

Please keep sharing your stories and wisdom as it sure does give hope.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:47 am 

It's awful that your friend has walked away and maybe she will come back to you some day, but this may be a blessing in disguise. Although it doesn't sound like you were hanging out with your friend and abusing drugs with her, one of the things you get with buprenorphine is a fresh start. A lot of us who need a fresh start need to step away from drug using friends. I'm not saying that you really had drug using friends, but maintaining a distance with your best friend might be in your best interest.

For those of us who have this genetic predisposition to feel amazing on opioids, our addiction can start out with dental work, a bad back, a sprained ankle. For me, I had a major surgery that required that I was on a week of oxycodone. I took my prescription as directed, and the pain was bad enough all week that all it did was eliminate a lot of pain... Until the last day I took them. On one of my last two percocet I didn't have much pain left and instead got this feeling of "ok, this is nice". I said to my mom, who had flown out to take care of me after the surgery, "Now I know why people get in trouble with these. I'm definitely not asking for a refill!" Back then I still had a good life. Back then my mom hadn't died yet. It was only after her sudden death and my dad's subsequent crappy behavior that I remembered that feeling of artificial wellbeing and wanted it back.

Didn't mean to go off on a tangent! Sorry! And welcome to the forum!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Amy.
My friend smoked a ton of pot and shatter. She was into stronger stuff but never around me. I don’t mind that she walked away. I wanted too do the same but fear or being alone stopped me. I know that’s selfish.
I saw the Dr yesterday and he said he couldn’t believe that someone like me who has bad nerve damage could find relief. I said simply it was time to see where the pain really was and where my mind made it.
This is now giving me back my 20 yr marriage. Now I need to look if that’s what I want still. I think my husband liked the other me more than he admits.

But again Amy thank you for reaching out to tell me your story. It always helps to know we’re not alone.
Have an awesome day all

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My husband said that exact same thing to me! I want my wife back, the woman I married. I told him a few days ago, here she comes, your wife is on her way back!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all, well I have been on suboxone for 68 days. Here in Canada they make it VERY hard to stay on this. I had to change Drs as my first retired, so I saw the new Dr, well he gave me an Rx with no other info. I went on. I then find out two weeks later I may have A carry after 4 clean urines. So for me to get to having a weeks worth of the drug at home I will have to visit the pharmacy for 7 and 1/2 months. Yes that’s right,almost 8 months of paying daily and being tied to my house. Plus the cost of my urine tests at 45.00 per month. We need to change the rules in Canada as more and more people are leaving this drug behind for the life they use to lead. My dog, the love of my life died days ago. I feel broken and empty and know I’m starting to give up. I can’t even visit my family as I have to re-see the dr to change an RX for two days. I read others stories and wonder how I was given over 200 pills of methadone and 84 pills a month of Vicodin to now having to beg to be heard. Do I regret my switch. Yes at times now I do. Is life better, in some ways it’s amazing in others this is horrible. My husband had to go away for work and I could have gone before and now I’m stuck home alone to live without my dog as company and feel anger for what was suppose to be the “life giver”. I’m not saying don’t use this. But ask questions,be informed. If I knew today what my journey would be, I may not be here. I’m in need of help please someone just HELP......

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:47 am 

Hey smoochie! I’m sorry to hear about your dog, it’s so heartbreaking to lose that kind of bond. It does get easier though, I know it doesn’t seem like it right now but it will get better.

I don’t know much about how Canada does things concerning buprenorphine. It sounds like if you can make it past the 7 1/2 months of daily dosing, you may have some freedom with the medication. I know it seems like a lifetime, but if you could just stick it out, I think you’ll be happy you did. I don’t know your using history though, I’m just assuming you needed this medicine because you were addicted and unable to stop opiates on your own like the rest of us. So these few months are going to be a small price to pay to get a better life bk.

I do agree that it’s unfair at how difficult it is to even obtain this medicine compared to other medications. I could go get all kinds of pain pills and ppl can go get benzos by the buckets full, but they want to put all these rules and stipulations on buprenorphine. It’s unfair and I agree with you that sometimes it’s so difficult at the hoops some of us must jump through. I try to not focus on all that so much because at the end of the day it is what it is. Even though it’s hard, it’s worth it for me. If I weighed the pros and cons of when I was in active addiction..... all the hoops and rules and even the price, is definitely worth it for me personally. If you don’t think it’s worth it for you then maybe you would be happier off, only you can know the answer to that. I hope you get everything figured out. Good luck!!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:50 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hello Smootchie!

I'm so sorry to hear about your precious furbaby, thats gotta he so rough I can't even imagine... regarding the buprenorphine, it's ridiculous that it's so much easier to get a big bottle of horribly addicting pain pills (full opioid agonists) than it is getting buprenorphine (a partial agonist) it's almost like the govt wants to see people fail & not go forward with their lives...

So from what I understand, you have to see the doctor every two days in order to get your buprenorphine? Or is it everyday? Either or, it's ridiculous. But in all honesty, it's a small price to pay for a better LIFE. You never know, maybe you'll be able to get an actual script soon & only go once a month. If I were you though, I'd stick with it for as long as I could. It'll get better, I promise!

Hang in there Smootchie, it always gets better. Try to come here to the talkzone as much as possible. We're like a big support system here :) PM me if you would ever like to talk or if you need to just vent.

Ash

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:31 pm 

Smootchie! Don't give up! We don't know what it's like to have to visit a pharmacy every day. (If it's a chain could you go to a different store in that chain?) The Aussies also know what you are dealing with. They have to earn their take-homes and stop in daily at the pharmacy too.

The law we operate under in the U.S. was made to allow physicians to learn to prescribe buprenorphine and prescribe it in monthly amounts. As soon as a patient is stable on the medication they usually start getting monthly prescriptions. I think you should definitely let your government officials know that this is not working! We have our own problems here though. A large number of patients have to self-pay for their doctor visit and their prescription! Only some doctors take insurance.

I am so very sorry that you lost your beloved pet. That aches and hurts so much. We had to say goodbye to one of our dogs last fall and it was so terrible. I can see how it would bring you down.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am on Suboxone for pain control, I don’t judge why anyone uses this. Please know that. I’m just so frustrated as we have one pharmacy to go too. Where I live no pharmacies want to give this drug out. No Doctors want to give it out. It’s like they rather you be on opiodes. They are scared of the drug getting on the streets. I was the 3 rd person to be placed on this where I’m at. I know where I live we are behind the times, but it’s so crazy they would rather see people on drugs. This drug is amazing, it gives life and they just have to realize they cant make someone go daily to get there meds if the are med compliant.

Thank you all. I really needed you and you helped..
I’m so happy to have found you all

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:20 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

We hope you keep coming back Smootchie, I love your username by the way!

Ash