It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:40 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Most pain killers have some sort of medicinal or recreational applications. After all, that is what they were first formulated to be used for. Sure, people can and often do become dependent on them, but others are able to use them in a fashion befitting of their original intent.

To my knowledge, suboxone was primarily used as a substitute for methadone, or as a drug to help people ease some of the withdrawal symptoms from other opiates. However, are there any other practical uses for buprenorphine out there?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It is used off label for pain, however, most insurances will not cover it.
It spite of its antidepressant properties I am not aware of it being used for that unless there is a co-occurring opiate dependency.
PAX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I use it to treat my Addiction issues ....but I also use it to treat my anxiety/depression alongside an SSRI. i feel like in combination it really helps fight depression.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:55 pm 

Buprenorphine was developed in the UK and was used to treat pain in patients in Europe since the late 1970s. Developers created buprenorphine in the hopes that the medication could treat pain while being less addictive than formulations of opioid medications that already existed.

Buprenorphine was not approved to treat addiction in the U.S. until 2002, after the Drug Addiction Treatment Act of 2000 had been passed. Suboxone and Subutex were approved as addiction medications in 2002.

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Right-on, Amy! Yes- buprenorphine has been used to treat pain for a long time. Because of the low bioavailability in oral form, it was used as an IV or IM injection, sold under the brand 'Temgesic', in doses of around 100 micrograms. It was used in Europe to treat addiction since at least the early 1990's, in France.

My pharmacology text from med school in 1986 says that buprenorphine 'does not have a significant withdrawal syndrome', and is less-addictive than opioid agonists. And that was true for those 100 microgram doses... but it has the usual opioid effects on tolerance when used over time.

I'll also add that buprenorphine is the main drug in a new antidepressant being worked on by Alkermes. You'll find more info about that at the Alkermes web site.