It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Cold Turkey from 16 mgs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I'm on day 7 of going cold turkey from 16 mgs buprenorphine. I'm interested to know if the withdrawal truly starts or gets worse at this point. I've read horror stories saying that this is so. Thanks for any insight and for reading.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome hayleyj80!

As you know, stopping CT at/above the ceiling dose can be pretty hard. But, the horror stories are just that, horrible and not worth reading bc makes it all far worse. You've already CT stopped so bad stories won't help you. I stopped at 4 mg and it went pretty well. 4 crappy days. WDs hit day 5-6. ~4 mgs is around the ceiling so anyone stopping CT at ~4 mgs and higher is the same level / intensity / strength of WD, its just that at the higher doses, WDs start later and last a bit longer, bc the higher doses mean more bup has built up in your body so higher doses take a while for WDs to start and end. Poster JDboxer stopped at ~24mgs w 2 weeks planned off from work and Dr J advised him to extend his medical leave. I think JD planned on 4-6wks off and went back to work in 3.5 -4 wks. He started and ended WDs later than you will bc he stopped at a higher dose but WD severity would be the same.

But seems like we each have different WD experiences. For some it goes pretty well and others have a harder time.

Any comfort meds from your Dr? Does your Dr know? Why CT at16mgs? Are you working and need to continue to work thru the WDs? Do you have some bup remaining so you can take slivers if it gets tough? can work well. If it gets tough and you can't be sick, you would have really dropped your tolerance - can you restart at a low dose and taper from there? Any recovery type work? Are you ready to be off?

You had one question and I have many! Ha. Ha, Again welcome and more will come w good info, Best tonight, P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:42 am 

Gosh pelican really covered it all :)

I was definitely wanting to ask u also why u were stopping at 16mg? Was it a choice or was it more of a have to situation? Whatever the case, don't go read horror stories. A while bk my son had been prescribed an antibiotic I wasn't really familiar with, so I googled it thinking that surly an antibiotic wouldn't give me anxiety...... wrong! I found so many horror stories from side effects and I couldn't stop myself from reading it once I'd saw a glimpse. I learned my lesson and I will never read horror stories again. I can only imagine how bad the horror stories are concerning buprenorphine.

Congrats on 7 days with no real issues yet! Pelican has been through this personally, so I'd definitely listen to his wonderful words of wisdom.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey, guys. Thanks for the thorough responses. It means a lot. I have no one to vent to or talk about this subject with. I'm afraid the physical may just now be kicking in. Starting to smell the stench of w/d and pupils are dilated. GOOOOOOOOOOOD

Pelican and Jenn - SO I've been on bupe (Subutex) for 4 and 1/2 years now and I'm conflicted as to weather or not I should continue with it. I started out on Suboxone initially and when I became pregnant with my 2nd son I switched to Buprenorphine. That was 3 years a go. I've never been an IV user or done street drugs. My love affair has been with pharmaceuticals. I'll never forget the first time I took a hydrocodone. I had a bad miscarriage and was prescribed it for pain. It was for pain and I wasn't in pain so I wasn't going to get it. My boyfriend at the time said "Oh, you are getting that." Now I understand why he said that to me. I LOVED IT. I mean LOVED. I've always struggled with depression and had been on almost every anti-depressant/mood stabilizer imaginable. This was it. I had found what I'd been needing. Like a switch in my brain had been flipped. SO the affair with everything from 500 hydros to 80 mg Oxi's lasted for 11 years on and off depending on what I could get my hands on. And alcohol too.

To answer your questions: I've attempted to taper many times and just can't seem to do it so I just had to jump. No, my doctor doesn't know and I do have a prescription with one refill but I'm hanging on to it. I haven't fully decided if I'm truly ready to be off of it. I was jerked off of it a year ago after I came clean with my doctor about taking more clonazepam than I was supposed to. My husband wanted me off of both the Kpins and the Bupe. My doctor told him NO, she's not ready but we did it anyway. SO I was forced off both at the same time and that lasted for about 11 days. I was not in a good place. Unimaginable, mouth watering cravings. I did not want to go to the extremes that I had gone to in years past to satisfy them and I think you all know what I mean and what that feels like. So I told my husband that I was going back on the Bupe. it was happening. Night and day. Magic. Cravings gone and mood stable and motivation was up. SO what I'm saying is that I will swear by the fact that it's likely that Bupe helps with symptoms of depression.
No doubt. I love my doctor to death. She should have stopped seeing me after she found out about me abusing the clonazepam, but she didn't. Any other doctor that I've ever seen and there's been a lot, would have written me off. So I'm not going to go to her with this right now.
Clonidine, Gabapentin, Modafinil, and Loperamide have saved me thus far.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey, guys

SO I'm on day 8 of going cold turkey from 16 mrs Buprenorphine. Starting to feel like the physical w/d may be just kicking in but the psychological terror isn't is gone. Starting to smell the stinch of w/d and pupils are dilated.

I've been on bupe (Subutex) for 4 and 1/2 years now and I'm conflicted as to whether or not I should continue with it. I started out on Suboxone initially and when I became pregnant with my 2nd son I switched to Buprenorphine. That was 3 years a go. I've never been an IV user or done street drugs. My love affair has been with pharmaceuticals. I'll never forget the first time I took a hydrocodone. I had a bad miscarriage and was prescribed it for pain. It was for pain and I wasn't in pain so I wasn't going to get it. My boyfriend at the time said "Oh, you are getting that." Now I understand why he said that to me. I LOVED IT. I mean LOVED. I've always struggled with depression and had been on almost every anti-depressant/mood stabilizer imaginable. This was it. I had found what I'd been needing. Like a switch in my brain had been flipped. SO the affair with everything from 500 hydros to 80 mg Oxi's lasted for 11 years on and off depending on what I could get my hands on. And alcohol too.

I've attempted to taper many times and just can't seem to do it so I just had to jump. No, my doctor doesn't know and I do have a prescription with one refill but I'm hanging on to it. I haven't fully decided if I'm truly ready to be off of it. I was jerked off of it a year ago after I came clean with my doctor about taking more clonazepam than I was supposed to. My husband wanted me off of both the Kpins and the Bupe. My doctor told him NO, she's not ready but we did it anyway. SO I was forced off both at the same time and that lasted for about 11 days. I was not in a good place. Unimaginable, mouth watering cravings. I did not want to go to the extremes that I had gone to in years past to satisfy them and I think you all know what I mean and what that feels like. So I told my husband that I was going back on the Bupe. it was happening. Night and day. Magic. Cravings gone and mood stable and motivation was up. SO what I'm saying is that I will swear by the fact that it's likely that Bupe helps with symptoms of depression.
No doubt. I love my doctor to death. She should have stopped seeing me after she found out about me abusing the clonazepam, but she didn't. Any other doctor that I've ever seen and there's been a lot, would have written me off. So I'm not going to go to her with this right now.
Clonidine, Gabapentin, Modafinil, and Loperamide have saved me thus far.
Thanks for any insight and for reading.

Hayley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:18 pm 

Hayley, I moved your other post over to this one to keep it all on one thread. Unfortunately, it went to the bottom of the stack. If I can figure out how to put it up on top I'll do it shortly.

Thing is, you don't really need two topics saying the same thing. One is enough.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you stick around and get some good stuff out of this place. There is a ton of information to be had here so browse away.

Keep us posted on your progress. And I'd like to remind you that you aren't considered a failure if you decide to go back on to a small dose of Suboxone and then begin to taper slowly. The main objective here is to get you clean and keep you that way. By not being 100% sure of this being the right time, don't beat yourself up if you need to start over. It's your life we're talking about here. There is no time limit on your recovery. We want you to find success and have a great life going forward.

rule

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:18 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hi Haley,
Welcome to the forum. You will get both good information and support here. I'm glad you aren't having too many withdrawal problems right now, and it looks like you have some comfort meds to help out. I was a little confused reading your story because it sounded like buprenorphine helped with both cravings and depression. You said you haven't had good luck with tapering and your last attempt at cold turkey didn't go so well. This time could be different, but I'm just wondering why did you want to get off BUpe right now?
Also, are you still on Klonapin? It is never a good idea to go CT off of benzos, as it can be dangerous, as you may know. You also said you have a good doctor who should have written you off, but didn't. Why not talk to your doctor and figure out a plan? Just my 2 cents. You didn't ask for my opinion, but I couldn't help trying to find out a little more and make sure you get the best for yourself. Best,

Tragicom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:28 pm 

Haley, I agree that you have yourself a good doctor and it makes me wonder why you feel you can't talk to her about jumping. I will saw that any doctor who is dealing with an addict should know that cross addiction and relapse are very common, and are not a reason to drop a patient!

I'm afraid that your ambivalence about stopping could hurt your chances of staying off buprenorphine. However, I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. You haven't mentioned what you've been doing to work on your recovery besides the medication. I don't want to sound terribly pessimistic, but it's not a good sign that you can't taper your medication. I realize it can present some challenges, but at a certain point in recovery, you should be able to taper without too much trouble. I wonder if your current inability to taper has to do with needing to work with an addiction therapist or go to SMART meetings. I'm sorry if I sound harsh. I really am worried that you are not ready to jump off the medication. However, it's your decision and we will support you all the way!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Im 5.5 months off 16mg for one year cold turkey. Everyones different my friend. Withdrawal got going for me around a week, peaked about two weeks, let up slightly after 60, let up noticeably after 100 something days. 5.5 months in its more mental than physicall. Physically im tired and weak daily but i stopped collapsing at work 4 months in. Its the depression thats the battle for me. Give it four months is my suggestion. But honestly Id suggest tapering. Regardless, its your life. Only you and your doctor know whats best

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:01 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

This thread is a bit older but I'm involuntarily CT off 8mg Subutex a day at least (was prescribed 16mgs) bc I was relocated to Albany N.Y. from Florida. I can't get a Dr here with no state id, my rx is up and I'm PANICKING. Is it really that bad????? I've been on this dosage for about 3 years, and have a toddler to care for and a house to clean. I'm FREAKING OUT.
Just needed to tell someone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Do you have any benzos or can you see a primary care dr? If so, explain your situation and see if he will prescribe you some meds to treat your w/d symptoms at least until you can get in to see a new Sub dr. I've gone back on Buprenorphine. I too have a toddler and a 5 year old to care for. I stay at home with my two year old and have other responsibilities as well, so for me, it just isn't a good time to stop taking it. I'd love to talk with you further if you need to. Let me know how you are doing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:32 pm 

Heyley,
After reading your posts this week I just wanted to say im glad you ve gone
back of buperenorphine.
There will be time later and after a loug loug taper. Bupe certainly helps with my depression as well
as phy pain witch is daily.
We opiate addict s have a loug road ahead of us to be well. We all can't simply stop. Frankly I have no idea how people can do it from the high dive. . Never met anyone personally who has. Welcome back to normalcy. Good luck to you

Razor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:35 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Im on Day 28 now off suboxone and yeah it does get better each day. You've made it this far, I would just keep going. The first 20 days are the hardest. I do still have the RLS and sneezes and diarrhea. But I'd rather be where I'm at in PAWS than back to Day 3 or day 5 acute withdrawal for sure.