It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Oral Surgery on Suboxone
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:07 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am having 3 teeth extracted in a couple weeks and I am nervous as hell. I am on 8mg of suboxone., I take half in the morning and half at night. My oral surgeon wants to prescribe me percs 5s and I was wondering how would that even work? Has anyone else had surgery and not taken the percs and been fine? Last time I had oral surgery I was on methadone and I remember I still had to take my dose but I took the percs on top of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:20 pm 

Does your doctor have an opinion on what you should do, Layla?

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I have had several teeth extracted while on suboxone. With two I just took Ibuprofen and ice. I had a third extraction that was more extensive and was RX Norco 5mg X 15. I took 3 every 4-6 hours and was okay after the first 24 hours. Good luck.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:21 am 

I had a pretty significant oral procedure with two very back teeth extracted. It ended up having bone exposure and I had to have quite a few more stitches than normal. After it was done my doctor said 'I know u said u weren't going to take pain medication because of ur suboxone treatment, but I would normally give someone who's had this much happen a little more pain medication than normal'. He offered to call my buprenorphine doctor to discuss it with him and I said no. I told him that I wasn't going to take anything regardless. Plus I knew my doctor would not be happy about it and try to make me start my suboxone treatment over or something (I overthink).

So I got a script for ibuprofen 800 and promised I'd call if it got bad. I was fine. Yes I had pain but nothing an ice pack and ibuprofen couldn't handle. Maybe my pain tolerance is high or maybe it just wasn't as bad as he had me thinking it would be. I think I was on 8mg suboxone at the time, possibly 12mg but I think 8. If it were me, I wouldn't think you'll need Percocet, but if u do then I'd make sure ur suboxone doctor knows and suggests how u do it. Just keep him in the loop. My dentist was going to call my doctor, I thought that was pretty awesome :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had 10 extractions in one sitting and never filled the script of pain meds. I did sleep quite a bit, on purpose, to avoid dealing with being awake for the numbness to wear off...

I also was supposed to get gas during the extractions and once they started trying to gas me, it was discovered that I was in the 5% or so of people that exist who are totally immune to gas ....
They left me there with a mask on, sucking in gas for about 30 minutes...I felt nothing at all. No tingling...nothing.
And it never did do anything to me.
So he just had to keep numbing me...took 3 more shots after the initial 5 of novacaine to get me to where I didn't feel anything. (after the first 5 shots, I had to stop him on 3 teeth because I felt him hit the nerve.)

But I was OK. Never had any unbearable pain, and I think I did actually take a couple ibuprofen 800's for the inflammation.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:50 pm 

I have never had the gas. I always wanted to experience it lol but never have had the offer. When my wisdom teeth were removed, they put me in a 'twilight state' whatever that was but I don't believe it was the gas stuff. I always wondered what this gas stuff felt like, I probably won't ever find out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:00 pm 

I had the "twilight sleep" too, Jen. It makes you easy to manipulate during the surgery and you don't remember anything, despite the fact that you are never unconscious.

I hate dental work. I won't go to a dentist who won't give me nitrous oxide. My only problem with it is that it makes me try to sing during the procedure!! Lol!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:32 pm 

See that's why I'd love to try it :)

I wish I could be in a 'twilight state' every time I needed anything done, much easier for me that way.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:19 pm 

Hello All, I have had extensive dental work including four teeth pulled at one time. Nitrous and novicane during the procedure and ibuprofen once home. The suboxone also helps with the pain. Good luck! No one is a bigger baby than me at the dentist! If I could do it, anyone can!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:01 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I've had multiple oral surgeries while on suboxone. And been fine after all of them. In fact, the last one I had, I had all my top teeth removed and most of my bottom. While my sub Dr was ok with the fact of me filling a script for Vicodin, the oral surgeon wouldn't prescribe anything but 800mg ibuprofen. I'm honestly glad that's all I took, it was a bit uncomfortable but nothing I couldn't handle. I've been twilighted and fully under. No effect because of subs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:36 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I had all of my wisdom teeth extracted a few years ago while on suboxone...same story. Both my sub dr and the oral surgeon told me to not take any subs that day, and to take as little as possible the day before. After the surgery the doctor gave me a script for Vicodin. I ended up just taking the subs with some ibuprofin for the pain and it worked fine.

FYI though - my pharmacy wanted me to hand in my subs for the vicodin, which i did the first day and then decided that the pills probably wouldn't do anything for me anyway, so I just traded back. And im happy I did

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:15 pm 

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
I had the "twilight sleep" too, Jen. It makes you easy to manipulate during the surgery and you don't remember anything, despite the fact that you are never unconscious.

I hate dental work. I won't go to a dentist who won't give me nitrous oxide. My only problem with it is that it makes me try to sing during the procedure!! Lol!

Amy

I can just picture you singing your favorite song while the dentist is trying to work! Thanks for that mental image.

Recently I read an article about the opiate crisis which has been in the news pretty much all the time now. The author stated exactly what my experience has always been. Opiate pain killers never touched the pain. They only got me high. What dealt with the pain was Ibuprofen or Aleve. I've had all four wisdom teeth pulled and only took one dose of Ibuprofen. Same with root canals, etc. I stopped asking for opiates soon after being induced onto Suboxone knowing I wouldn't feel them anyway.

Good luck with your oral surgery. It should not pose too large of problem.