It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello,
If anyone here knows anything about this new law, please let me know - I want to find a reference to it.

Just found this out today from my pharmacist:
The DEA has a new law, my pharmacist says it's causing a lot of angst - he said that pharmacies can no longer TRANSFER a Suboxone prescription unless it has been filled once at original pharmacy. My doc faxed my rx into my Florida Walgreens, like normal, and I called to have it transferred to my Walgreens in Colorado, like I have had to do many times over the last year, as I travel between the 2 states a lot.

The MISTAKE I MADE, was that before I called to have it transferred, I called my FL Walgreens, because they had ALREADY FILLED my script, I thought it would make it easier if they knew that I wouldnt be picking it up there, so they could pull it - I know that sometimes they run out of stock, and I would hate to think that my 30 days worth of films were sitting there in a bag when some other patient might need it - Thats the mistake that caused me to not be able to transfer my script, according to my CO pharmacist.

After calling the FL Walgreens, I called my CO Walgreens to have them transfer the script, like I always do - Thats when the pharmacist told me that there's a NEW DEA LAW that prevents pharmacies from transferring Schedule III drugs, unless they've been filled once already. Luckily for me, I had a few films left from my last script I had transferred. If I didnt have those films left, I would have been in trouble.

So now, I'm in Colorado, my RX is in Florida, at the same pharmacy chain, and the only options I have are to either ask my doctor to call in a new RX to Colorado (of course its the weekend, and maybe he won't agree to do it), or to buy a plane ticket at last minute to get to Florida before these 4 films run out (but even if I did, I wouldnt be able to fill more from new RX in FL until the day before these 4 run out, because of other laws that won't let us fill "early").

What really makes me upset is that, according to my pharmacist, if I had not called the FL Walgreens to have the filled script pulled, and put into "storage" on their computer system, I would've been able to transfer it, even though I did not actually "fill" part of it. The pharmacist actually told me that.

So, I guess that is a way around this law? If you know that you can't transfer a Schedule III drug, just have the original pharmacist fill it, then transfer? What good is this new law if a person can get around it so easily? It's beaurocratic red tape!

I searched the internet and could not find any reference to this new law, except for some posts from 2016 on a forum for pharmacists, where they were going back and forth about it, could not find any actual answer or wording in the law about it.

Does anyone here know anything about this? If so, PLEASE let me know.

Thank You!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:16 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I've never heard of that law. You can only transfer a controlled substance rx once. Meaning if I'm on vacation and my new rx is at my home pharmacy and I have it transferred to where ever I'm at, I can't have it transferred back.
However having it filled and transferring it makes no sense.
The only other applicable law I can think of is that some states won't take transferred controlled substance prescriptions from other states.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:25 pm 

This sounds really strange to me. I am in Colorado and I do my script at an Arvada Walgreens. I've developed a rapport with my pharmacist there, so I will ask him about the new "rule". I've never heard of it either.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:35 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

In reply to Amy -
Hi Amy, Thank You - I am not far from you, I use Centennial Walgreens, and one of the pharmacists there knows me well, but when I called this time to transfer my script, like I've done for the past 6 months, a different pharmacist was on the phone with me, that I had never spoke with before. He is the one who told me about the new DEA law.

Please do see what your pharmacist knows about this, I would appreciate it very much.

What they mean by filling it once, is if either you have a months refill on the script, like my doc prescribes 1 month of Suboxine with 1 refill, so one script lasts me 60 days, or, if you fill part of your script, like I do - I pay cash, so I usually buy 7 films at a time. This pharmacist told me that the new law states that a person has to fill at least part of their script at original pharmacy, then it can be transferred. Since my pharmacy in Florida had filled the first months worth of my rx, thinking I was picking it up there, I called them to tell them I was going to hsve it transferred, so they put it on file in computer. The pharmacist her in CO said if the FL pharmacy would have left script as filled, I would've been able to transfer. --- Yeah, it does not sound right to me, eithet.

There were a couple of times, when I called to fill my rx here in CO, after it had been transferred, where a different pharmacist or tech answered the phone (other than the one pharmacist who knows me well), and at first, they told me they could not fill, because "you can only fill 5 times in one month" - I explained to them that I fill once every 7 days, so thats only 4 times in a month - So they said, Let me try to run it through - then they were surprised that it went through.
I know this is a whole other topic, but thats why I am questioning what this pharmacist told me.

I talked to my doctor - he does not feel comfortable with calling in my Sub rx to another state - even though I researched the law about that, and I provided links to the law to him, saying that as long as he has a DEA license, and that the pharmacist here knows I have a good relationship with my doc, that it is legal for him to call in my rx to another state. But he wont budge, so that's his decision. By the way, I usually see my doc monthly, but since Ive been travelling so much, if I'm not in FL when my appointment is due, I have a phone appt with him, either monthly or every 2 months. I've been with this doc for 12 years.

I think I might have figured out how to get around this issue without having to fly back to FL, as the only other thing I could do is to have a relative pick up my FL rx and mail it to me, but it is illegal to mail meds. Since the pharmacist told me that I ruined it by calling the FL pharmacy to have my rx "unfilled", then I guess I could call the FL pharmacy, ask them to fill it, then the CO pharmacy could then transfer it because it would be back at the same status it was previously, before I called them to put it on file? That's what I dont understand about this new law, as the pharmacist told me he could have transferred it when it had been filled in FL, even though it had not bedn picked up.

Thank You, I am anxious to know what your pharmacist says about it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

duke_fanatic wrote:
I've never heard of that law. You can only transfer a controlled substance rx once. Meaning if I'm on vacation and my new rx is at my home pharmacy and I have it transferred to where ever I'm at, I can't have it transferred back.
However having it filled and transferring it makes no sense.
The only other applicable law I can think of is that some states won't take transferred controlled substance prescriptions from other states.

To Duke_Fantastic,
Thanks for your reply - yeah, I know about the law that you mentioned about transferring once. What they mean by filling it once, is if either you have a months refill on the script, like my doc prescribes 1 month of Suboxone with 1 refill, so one script lasts me 60 days, like if I filled my rx monthly, I would have to (according to this supposed new law) fill 1 months worth at the home pharmacy, then I could have the remaining months worth transferred -

OR, if you fill part of your script, like I do - I pay cash, so I usually buy 7 films at a time, so I would have to fill 7 films at home pharmacy, then could transfer the remaining. This pharmacist told me that the new law states that a person has to fill at least part of their script at original pharmacy, then it can be transferred.

It doesnt make sense, especially the fact that, according to this pharmacist, you dont even need to actually pick up the rx after it's filled, it just has to be filled to be transferred, so easy to get around. Unfortunately, my doc is paranoid about calling my rx into another state, even though the pharmacist here said they would accept it, no problem, and I have not found any laws that would prevent him from doing so.

But, Florida doctors are extremely careful, because there is an attitude against suboxone and other controlled substances in FL. I used to have a lot of problems filling my rx in FL, and was surprised how I didnt get attitude from Colorado pharmacists, and in other states I've travelled to. I have never used illegal drugs, except trying pot in high school, and didnt like it, I became addicted to percocet after multiple surgeries over several years, never had extreme withdrawal until the last surgery on my neck - I dont even drink - and I was treated terribly in FL, by previous doctors (not the one I have now, have been with him for 12 years), and by pharmacy employees.

Our family thought we were exaggerating about how badly I was treated for being on Suboxone, until my FIL had hip surgery, and my MIL, in her 80s, had a heck of a time filling his pain med script on the way home from hospital. She said the pharmacy treated her like she was doing something illegal, and it caused my FIL a lot of pain while waiting all day to get his script, as his wife had to run around town trying to get a pharmacy to fill his Vicodin, then she was treated worse when she told each pharmacy she had tried to fill it elsewhere.

Thank You, if you hear anything about this, please let me know.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Here is a link to a forum posts from 2016, on the Pharmacy forum on a Student Doctor site, here they are talking about this same issue. In one of the posts, someone says that the question never got answered. A lot of the posts have snippets of the current DEA laws, but nothing about the supposed new law I was just told about.

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/transfer-a-newly-prescribed-controlled-medication.1235055/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I read thru it all, and read CO and FL State Board of Pharmacy and DEA transfer rules. Seems like the new to you CO pharmacist is incorrect in saying its a new DEA rule. It comes from confusion with the DEA March 2010 https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cf ... 306_25.htm where it states "a) The transfer of original prescription information for a controlled substance listed in Schedule III, IV, or V for the purpose of refill dispensing is permissible between pharmacies on a one-time basis only." Note is says 'refill', not first fill -- creating a gray area.

Looks like Corporate Legal at Kroger's and Walmart, conservatively interpreted it and set an internal policy NOT to allow a transfer for a first fill, that it had to be filled (partial/full) first and then a refill could be transferred. Other Pharmacists said they went ahead and transferred on the first fill bc there was no law or State Board of Pharmacy saying it was illegal. And was nonsense to even worry about this issue.

Have you called your Walgreen's Pharmacy when the new to you pharmacist is NOT there? and asked this again? Could be its only that pharmacist's interpretation or could be Corporate Legal at Walgreen's issued an internal memo disallowing a first fill transfer. I'd call another area Walgreen's and ask. I just called a Walgreens asking about the same as your story and they were fine w a transfer of first fill but got weird on multi partial fills w in the same month like you do - so maybe your Walgreen's doesn't want your business due to that, IDK... What is your dose? Are both pharmacies the same company? trying to see if something else is flagging you to the new to you pharmacist.

Sorry this is so hard, best, P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:36 pm 

Shalala, Pelican is one of the best researchers we have on the forum. I was already guessing that the particular pharmacist that you spoke with is misinterpreting the law. And I've heard that some pharmacists just tend to interpret these laws more conservatively than others, even within the same company. In addition, I do think that there are doctors and pharmacists who preface an unpopular opinion with, "The DEA has a new regulation..."

I am dealing with my insurance company and a prior authorization for one of my medications right now, so I will probably talk to my pharmacist tomorrow. I have to admit that the explanation by your pharmacist is so illogical that I'm having trouble wrapping my head around what he or she is trying to say! But I will try to ask my pharmacist about it.

Another thing to consider is that you can't swing a dead cat around Colorado without hitting a Walgreens! I suggest that you might change to a more reasonable pharmacist?

Again, I tend to trust Pelican's interpretation of the law and events at your pharmacy. He is a smart dude!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Pelican wrote:
I read thru it all, and read CO and FL State Board of Pharmacy and DEA transfer rules. Seems like the new to you CO pharmacist is incorrect in saying its a new DEA rule. It comes from confusion with the DEA March 2010 https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cf ... 306_25.htm where it states "a) The transfer of original prescription information for a controlled substance listed in Schedule III, IV, or V for the purpose of refill dispensing is permissible between pharmacies on a one-time basis only." Note is says 'refill', not first fill -- creating a gray area........

Pelican,
Thank You. I just spoke with the pharmacist that I usually deal with. And yes, my pharmacy here in CO is the same pharmacy as my home state of Florida.

I asked her about this "new law", and she verified what the other pharmacist told me, that I have to at least partially fill my rx at the pharmacy it was originally called into by my doc, then I can transfer the remaining, even if I just fill one days worth.

My pharmacist is aware about the one time transfer rule, she is not confused about that.

I asked her if there is a bulletin / reference, or where I could access information about this "new law" , as I wanted to let others know, so they don't end up in a bind, like I have. She said that she doesn't think it is actually "written" anywhere, that they just got word about it from Walgreens a couple of weeks ago, and that its something new that the DEA and pharmacies are trying to figure out. She said that's why I couldn't find any reference to it online.

It sounds like, to me, that the DEA is thinking about implementing this as a law, but have not yet, and maybe are telling pharmacies to start complying? According to the 2016 forum posts by pharmacists on the Student Doctor website (I posted link in this topic), it sounds like this was happening in 2016, too. What's going on? Did they explore doing this in 2016, then gave up on it, then have started again?

I was wrong, in assuming that I could have my FL rx put in fill status, then not pick up there, thinking it could then be transferred. My pharmacist told me that the other pharmacist wasn't quite right when he told me that if I would not have called the original pharmacy to tell them to "unfill" it, that he would've been able to transfer it. She said it has to actually be filled once, at least one days worth, for them to be able to transfer it.

I cannot get any of my family on the phone, to be able to ask them to pick up part of my rx for me, so I called my doctor's office and put in one last request for him to just call me in a new script to Colorado. He told me several times that he is uncomfortable with doing this, but maybe he will just this time - I hope to find out soon, as I cannot fly back, and I run out tomorrow.

Everything that I have read, and several pharmacists have told me that it is legal to call in a script to another state, as long as prescriber has DEA license, and when the pharmacist knows the patient has a good standing relationship with doctor. I've read that some states, like Texas, won't allow Schedule III drugs to be called in from out of state doctor, but supposedly, that is not supposed to be up to the state, it's Federal. When I worked in New York a few years ago, the state of NY would not accept my Florida scripts, and I bought many plane tickets just to pick up my script.

Pelican, what do you know about doctors calling in Suboxone scripts out of state?
Also, what do you make of what the pharmacist told me about this new DEA rule / law?

Thank You Very Much!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Let me give it another try as you are close to getting it. I don't think there is any new law, just growing confusion over what the DEA meant w their 2010 law . The issue is what is the DEA’s intent/definition of the word REFILL and is a FIRST FILL required prior to transferring a script?

The DEA law in reference is a 7 years old law dated March 2010 "a) The transfer of original prescription information for a controlled substance listed in Schedule III, IV, or V for the purpose of REFILL dispensing is permissible between pharmacies...." Here again is the link to the full law. https://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cf ... 306_25.htm .Set aside the one time rule later mentioned, that's not the point here.

What does the word ‘refill’ mean to the DEA - what was the DEA's intent? Does refill mean to force you to have at least 1 Suboxone film or days worth, ‘first filled’ and picked up in the originating FL pharmacy before your script can be transferred to meet the true definition of a refill - or - did they mean your script can be transferred in whole full quantity and ‘first filled’ in CO? Are folks supposed to travel back and forth across their local city or the US, JUST to go get their first set of meds from the originating pharmacy? Some pharms say yes and some say no, that's absurd. This is exactly where the confusion lies.

Pharmacies have been/are looking at this. Per your Walgreens "...that I have to at least partially fill my rx at the pharmacy it was originally called into by my doc, then I can transfer the remaining, even if I just fill one days worth.” -- It seems like what’s 'new' is your Walgreen’s is now most conservatively interpreting the existing 7 yr old DEA law which specifically only states the word REFILL. It does not state the words 'first fill'.

Per your 2016 link, some pharmacists and at corporate level (Kroger, Walmart) have taken the most conservative law interpretation NOT to allow anything but a true refill to be transferred.

While other pharmacists think its a travesty/nonsense/absurd to interpret it that at least one pill or days worth, must be ‘first filled’ at the originating pharmacy prior to transferring the rest. These pharms will transfer your script without it being first filled at the originating pharm and will 'first fill' it at their transferring to pharmacy.

You’re in a bind. Seriously, call around to a different Walgreens or other brand stores bc they might not care or have any idea of this! You need your meds! My Walgreens has no idea of any of this and would allow it.

It may be that the DEA does mean only a true refill can be transferred either locally w in the same city or across the US and folks will be in a bind if they haven't first filled it at the originating pharmacy. Or it may mean that long geographic distance fills / refills were not considered, creating a problem for you and tons of others. But until that's clarified everywhere, find a local pharmacy to help you now!

I have no info on doctors calling in Suboxone scripts out of state, sorry…

I'd be speed dialing multiple CO pharmacies till I found one indifferent or unaware of this.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just had an issue with my suboxone transfer. My doc is from Pittsburg (about 3 hrs from where I live) he drives to an office closer to me twice a month for clinic. This office is an he from my home. So I filled part of my script close to the office day of clinic..still had 10 remaining and called to transfer it to a place closer to home (this is all Wal-Mart mind you). Well my hometown Wal-Mart refused to transfer and when I asked why I was told because the script was from a doc in Pittsburg and it's at the PHARMACIST DISCRETION on wether they will fill the rx. Even after I explained the main office is outside Pittsburg but my doc has a office an hr away. The PHARMACIST still refused. So I had to drive another hr there and back to pick up 10 strips. Nothing to do with "laws" the Pharmacist just didn't want to fill it...maybe that's what is really going on and your "unknown" PHARMACIST just wasn't comfortable filling out of state and just giving you some b.s. excuse about laws.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

:cry: Update on Transferring Scripts between states, and having problems with unethical, unreasonable pharmacist today Dec 26, 2017

I found out some new info today about Transferring Sub scripts between states like we talked about back in August, but also today, I need some support from this community, even if it's just having you guys read my post and maybe a few replies with some supportive comments. (There's a lot of details I left out because I'm afraid that publicly posting them could cause more trouble for me - but those details are not about me, but about how I was treated by the pharmacist).

I haven't cried for over 2 years, but I am welling up in tears right now and this has also caused me to be so upset that I hyperventilated and couldn't breathe - that NEVER happens to me. My frustration with filling a suboxone rx has overwhelmed me today, I'm dealing with a pharmacist that's trying to do anything she can to prevent me from getting my rx, stereotyping and demeaning me. (The fact that I've been working in Colorado for most of this year seems to be a problem she has with me, like all people live in or go to CO just to smoke pot - well I don't)
I've kept my cool though, but privately I am just beside myself. I'm not new to this, have been there, done that before, have dealt with some very frustrating things when filling my Sub rx’s in the last 12 years, mostly in Florida, where it's really bad. I thought, after not having to deal with FL pharmacists much anymore, now that I'm in Colorado most of the time, that I was pretty much free from dealing with some bad situations, so this caught me off guard. Also, it hit me pretty hard because it's not the usual problems, this pharmacist seems to be on a mission - the worst one I've ever dealt with. This is one of those situations where you have to be very careful, swallow your pride and just quit dealing with this type of person because any further attempts at filling the rx could get way out of control with someone like this. My husband said that I should totally leave her out of the picture when solving this problem, because he said that even if I get the problem fixed, that just going to that pharmacy to pick it up might cause her to find some reason to give me more trouble while I'm there because she is so against me getting this rx!

About prejudice of people who live or work in CO: I've had a lot, I mean a lot of people from FL assume that we work in Colorado only because marijuana is legal here. I've never been a pot smoker, and have never had anyone accuse me or think that I smoked it until we took jobs here. Many people who we've talked to about this, who have not been to CO lately, seem to have the wrong impression about the pot trade in CO. We've had people who are moving out of CO tell us that they had a hard time getting jobs in other non - 420 states because their prospective employers assume they are “potheads” just because they are from CO.

All the old feelings from long ago have come rushing back today, turning me into a big ass baby, and wondering why and how someone could be so prejudiced. I've done nothing wrong, and have handled this very well so far, and I'm embarrassed that this type of treatment has gotten the best of me. I'd rather be physically tortured than to deal with this mental abuse.

I travel back & forth between CO and FL, but this year, I've been mostly in CO. When trying to figure out how to get my script filled, the pharmacist in FL that was on my side said that an option was to transfer my rx back to CO, so I could get it filled when I flew back, but I found out that I can't transfer it back again. I posted last August here about a new DEA rule that's not a law yet, that caused a bit of a problem when my doc was uncomfortable about faxing a Sub script out of state - I got that all worked out - he wanted to send the script to my FL pharmacy as he is in FL, rather than send it to my pharmacy in CO, then have me transfer the new rx from FL to CO so I could fill it in CO. But at that time, the CO pharmacist told me about a new DEA rule that corporate Walgreens wants their pharmacists to start following, which does not allow a Schedule 3 drug to be transferred to another state UNLESS IT'S BEEN PARTIALLY FILLED AT ORIGINAL PHARMACY. Then after it's been transferred once, it can't be transferred back again. (Today I found out that FL does NOT follow this new rule, they did not believe me until the CO pharmacist called them and told them about it). The CO pharmacist told me it must be different for different states, as the FL pharm said they could transfer it back, but its my CO pharm that needs to do the transfer, in which they can't.,Just to clarify, the pharmacist that's giving me problems is the one in FL - she would not allow me to fill my rx 2 days early before my flight back to CO (but she's counting wrong, counting the day I picked them up, in the morning, as a day that I did not take from the new rx) before I flew out, but the other pharmacists there at the same store, and OPUS has no problem with filling it, but they said since she will be there, they can't or won't do it in front of her. Then she told the pharmacy tech I couldn't fill for 3 days, then when my other pharmacist called her she changed it to 4 days before I could pick up - but the other pharmacists can see on the computer when and how much I last filled.

I planned for this, thought I had prevented anything like this from happening. I transferred my rx to FL because I knew I would need to fill it there before coming back to CO, knowing that since CO would not let me transfer it a 2nd time, I decided to fill the entire rx.. So I ordered it, but when I picked it up, they had not filled the entire amount, did not call, let me know, or did not even write a note on the bag. But luckily, before I pulled away from the drive thru, I checked the bag to count my films - there was only 30, 1 box, I had ordered more than 30, as it was a 2 month rx that I had partially filled at original pharmacy, that's why Colorado allowed the transfer to FL. When I asked why they didn't fill what I ordered, they said it was due to the OPUS discount, which only allows 30 days worth to be filled at once. If I wanted to, I could get all I ordered, but my discount would not apply, and I could not buy the remaining films separately until I was done taking those 30 films, as it would look like an early fill. So I asked what the price would be for all the films without the OPUS discount, and it was over $500. I did not have the money, and even if I did, what a waste that would be!

So I bought the 30 films, and thought to myself, What am I going to do now, I cannot transfer those remaining films back to Colorado, as the rx had already been transferred once, can't be transferred again, and I will not still be in Florida when I'm done with the 30 films I just got, I can't fill early - not according to opus and the pharmacist would not allow me to fill those remaining films early either. So, I thought I might just have a relative pick up those remaining films when the time came and have them mail them to me, but I will not do that, even though my dr suggested it and some pharmacists suggested it - it's illegal to mail. I don't want my relative to get in trouble for that, either. Why should I risk getting in trouble because the pharmacist’s personal preference is that she only allows Sub to be picked up 1 day early? That's ridiculous too - when a patient can fill 10 or 20 or 60 films at once, why can't they be trusted to fill 2 days early when they cannot have it transferred back and have to fly out the next day? Again, I did not expect to only be able to fill 30 at one time unless I wanted to pay full price. And, even so, I have filled my sub rx as early as 4 days early in the past. On top of this, another pharmacist at the same store told me he would fill it, if it was up to him, the morning before my flight, but he doesn't work those hours.mHe suggested that I bring in my flight itenerary tomorrow morning to try to convince her, as tomorrow would only be one day early, but then he changed his mind and said she probably wouldn't even with the itenerary, and also because she keeps insisting to not count the day that I picked up my last rx. I ordered it one day, then didn't pick it up until the next morning, and started taking the new script that same day - but this pharmacist won't count that day, even though the receipt and papers shows the time. That right there proves that she is being unreasonable.

After speaking with the 2 other pharmacists that are on my side, one that works in the same location as her then one at another store, it's clear that she is working very hard to purposefully make things difficult for me. One of the other pharmacists even called her on my behalf, then called me back and told me to call the store back when someone else was working to avoid her. My script is stuck there.

My husband and I have decided that the best way to deal with this is to just have my doctor cancel my rx and send a new one to my pharmacy in Colorado, and I will just have to stretch out what I have until I can get it filled, depending on how long it takes for my doc to do this and when I will be able to pick it up. But my pharmacist in CO will fill up to 3 days early, but it won't be early after tomorrow, anyways, but will be earlier than the pharmacist in FL would do it.

I might have another problem when I call my doc to ask him to fix this tomorrow, because he is still uncomfortable about writing an rx to a patient out of state, even though he has been reassured by the pharmacy in CO that it's legal and okay. He told me at my last appt that if I continue to work in CO, and can't fly back monthly to see him and fill my script in FL, that he wants me to find a new SUB doc in CO. Plus, he gets vety anxious about any problems like this, he dislikes all the inconsistencies with the laws and rules for Suboxone, and blames me for it.,But I have never had any major problems, I do not drink or do any other drugs other than Sub.
When I worked in NY for 2 years, I flew back to FL monthly, sometimes bi-monthly to see my sub doc and fill my sub rx in FL because the state of NY did not allow out of state sub scripts to be filled - that cost me a lot of money flying so much, and I always had to get a rental car too, which usually cost more than the flight itself, plus the time off work I had to take! So I've had to jump through a lot of hoops just to be on this medicine.

I do not do any illegal drugs, only TRIED pot in high school, and I don't even drink alcohol. I've never shot up drugs and I'm a former Air Force Nurse & Combat Medic, so I'm not ignorant about medications. The only reason why I take Suboxone instead of just plain buprenorphine without the naloxone is because when I switched to plain Bupe, I had withdrawal symptoms on same dose even after 2 weeks, plus at that time the OPUS discount only covered SUB , not plain Bupe, so my doctor switched me back. For some reason I started out on Sub, then my doctor said that I don't need the naloxone because I never shot up drugs, never used illegal drugs, only took Sub due to physical dependence to percocet after surgery, but he didn't want to have to increase my dose for the Bupe, and without medical insurance, I couldn't afford the meds without the OPUS discount which only covers Sub.

I can't believe this is happening - if this pharmacist would look at a calendar and count the days and believe me that I started my previous fill on the morning I got it, I would not be faced with the alternatives I have: Either I scrap my plane ticket and buy a new one at last minute which causes loads of other problems, or I put my doctor through this big explanation of what happened and hope he will cancel that script then write me a new one for Colorado, or I just leave my Sub films in limbo in FL and go cold turkey for 2 weeks until my next appointment, which would definitely land me in the hospital, so that's not even an option.

My reason for going to FL was to see my 2.5 year old Grandson, who I had not seen for 11 months. I feel like I'm being punished for having to work out of state.

Note about pharmacists: I think it's wrong for each pharmacist to make their own personal rules about how early they will fill Suboxone, and 1 day early is ridiculous - there's been many times where Ive had to go without my medicine fir several days, because I could not get to the pharmacy before they closed, and this was with a pharmacist that allowed 2 days early. There's a ton of Florida pharmacists that do not have an adequate understanding of Suboxone and treat patients badly - there's a huge difference in other states in how Sub patients are treated, I have seen it for myself. Florida pharmacies have treated me like I was there to fill a heroin prescription.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Raindrop wrote:
... Nothing to do with "laws" the Pharmacist just didn't want to fill it...maybe that's what is really going on and your "unknown" PHARMACIST just wasn't comfortable filling out of state and just giving you some b.s. excuse about laws.

No, that wasn't the case, I have a good relationship with my pharmacist in CO, and she's the one who eventually explained all of this to me and my doctor. But that other, unknown pharmacist, just happened to be the first one who told me about the new rules from the DEA that might become law soon, and the suits at Walgreens told the pharmacists they had to start implementing it.. But, I have an update on that - just found out that not all Walgreens are doing this, my Walgreens in FL knew nothung about it, and didn't believe me until my pharmacist in CO called them. Now, I cant fill the rest of my rx, and can't have it transferred. But I dont blame the CO Walgreens for following that rule for my current situation, I blame the FL store because 1 pharmacist there would not let me fill 2 days early, to make my flight, which was actually only 1 day early because she would not count the first day I filled my previous fill as a day that I took it. Thanks for your reply.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:02 pm 

Wow, what a mess! I'd be stressed too. I actually responded to a different thread of urs before reading this one, sorry about that and now I see the bigger picture of what ur facing. I agree with u that this one pharmacist is being ridiculous. I went to Florida many times in my using days going to a pain clinic and let me tell ya that I never had that much trouble with oxycodone. It's a shame that in this day and time, it seems like buprenorphine has become more difficult to fill or get than the very drugs causing the problems with addiction. It isn't fair at all.

I don't know ur work situation but wouldn't it be maybe less stressful to find a doctor in the location ur at the most? Or even if u absolutely had to, couldn't u fly bk to that annoying pharmacy on the day to get ur medicine? I know that's a huge amount of trouble but it would be the last time u would have to fool with them again. There has to be a way to get ur months worth of medicine, that's a big deal imo.

I sure hope everything works out! I couldn't imagine having to go through what u are. The hoops that some of us go through is outrageous. Btw I go to a clinic in Kentucky and I live in Tennessee. I always use a Kentucky pharmacy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

jennjenn wrote:
Wow, what a mess! I'd be stressed too. I actually responded to a different thread of urs before reading this one, sorry about that and now I see the bigger picture of what ur facing. I agree with u that this one pharmacist is being ridiculous. I went to Florida many times in my using days going to a pain clinic and let me tell ya that I never had that much trouble with oxycodone. It's a shame that in this day and time, it seems like buprenorphine has become more difficult to fill or get than the very drugs causing the problems with addiction. It isn't fair at all.

I don't know ur work situation but wouldn't it be maybe less stressful to find a doctor in the location ur at the most? Or even if u absolutely had to, couldn't u fly bk to that annoying pharmacy on the day to get ur medicine? I know that's a huge amount of trouble but it would be the last time u would have to fool with them again. There has to be a way to get ur months worth of medicine, that's a big deal imo.

I sure hope everything works out! I couldn't imagine having to go through what u are. The hoops that some of us go through is outrageous. Btw I go to a clinic in Kentucky and I live in Tennessee. I always use a Kentucky pharmacy.

Thanks Jenn, I aporeciste your reply. I tbought I did everything possible to prevent this from happening. There's even more to the story about things I did to try to prevent this from happening, that I didnt write about due to how long my other post was already - I changed my flight once already when I found out that they wouldn't fill more than 30 to make sure I would be there close enough to the time to fill the rest, which caused problems, after getting advice from another pharmacist on what I should do - I changed things the best I could, but it still did not work out.

Thanks Again for your reply.