It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi all,

I have noticed that it's generally about a week to 2 weeks after I've decreased by 2 mgs that i start feeling the side effects of being on a lower dose.

I started on 10/12, then went up to 14mgs this past Christmas when i was going through stress.

Since then I've decreased relatively successfully to 6mgs.

After going from 8mgs to 6mgs I felt like i couldn't breathe, anxious and emotional but I'm actually having fairly good bowel movements now! Just need to drink water during the day.

I have told my parents honestly why I'm on suboxone, I thought they would freak out - they actually want me to stay on suboxone because of how much better i am within myself now, and I guess I'm much nicer to be around.

I have been on suboxone for 2 years, think the taper may take another year.

I'm really grateful for suboxone, I'm me again! I guess I'm anxious about feeling all those feels as i decrease bit by bit.

I think I'll record my progress and taper on this forum if that's ok? I'm not thinking of coming down from 6mgs for at least a few months but like the fact that there are so many other people like me on here.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:03 pm 

Manz it's definitely ok!

We have ppl that's totally content being on suboxone for life, ppl content on their dose now but may or may not taper in the future, ppl who's tapering now and ppl who've tapered off completely and still come around to support and help others.....all kinds of ppl with different journeys, so ur very welcome to share any experience u want, and it'll definitely help someone out there that's in the same place u are.

Suboxone made me feel like me again also. I'm so blessed to be where I am today. Having a place like this forum to come and chat with others like myself is awesome :)

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Manz, welcome. meant to welcome you earlier!

jennjenn, so glad you are here!! I look forward to your responses and grateful you are here. So helpful! Truly. Thank you.

I want to credit you and a couple others on another thread w popsicle. You, Michelle and Razor nailed it. Like wow!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:53 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi guys,

Thank you for the support. I actually came to this forum when i first began suboxone because I had so many questions! I was so scared but I'm pleased to say that my life is my own now and doesn't belong to chasing highs, lows or obsession with drugs.

Every week when i go to the chemist i complain about how much i hate relying on suboxone and having to go to a chemist twice a week is a huge feat. But I've managed to travel interstate a few times and really, when my life has come this far, I really shouldn't complain (in Australia you have to pick up suboxone from a chemist at least twice a week).

I recently broke up with my partner which has increased stress - saw my doctor a few days ago and he's given me more diazapam - a short course to help me actually breathe. I'm taking them sparingly! I don't need another dependent drug.

In the mornings after I've taken my suboxone i think, I could maybe try to decrease by another 2mgs, that way I'll be able to save some for if i want to go for a trip to Sydney with my mum (such a good relationship with my mother now, never would have happened before suboxone). But i don't think I'm ready - not yet. Maybe another 2 months then I'll go down to 4mgs.

In Australia we have 2mg strips to take under the tounge - so I'm having 3. But i was thinking, with the loss through saliva maybe going to 4mgs wouldn't be such a huge step from 6mgs - it's only 1 strip less, wouldn't make that much of a difference right? Any thoughts?

Thanks guys :)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:47 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

HI manz. I have a couple questions. I am fairly new. Been on bup since March. It has saved my life!! I am on 12 mg. I started at 8 but it wasn't covering my withdrawal so went to 12. Working great. My Dr already wants to lower my dose. I feel like I am a good candidate for bup for life. I do want to decrease even if I stay on for life but I am scared . Idk if it's too soon or I am just nervous. If he demands I lower already I guess I will have too. Is it hard to do? Did you have a lot of withdrawal when dropping your dose? If so how long till you stablized at new dose? I just don't want to get all messed up and have cravings and end up using !! I am probably over worrying but I'm good at that like most addicts! !! Anyway thanks for posting about your decrease! I needed someone to!!

Willow

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:51 am 

Morning Manz and Willow,

Please go over to the Talkzone and search Ceiling Effect. You will find facts and the correct information
on just how powerful Buprenorphine is.

Geting a real understanding on this med will ease your minds. :D .

And thanks Pelican, hope you stay with us a loug time,

Razor r...

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:56 am 

Pelican ur pretty awesome.

Ya know a week or so ago, when I was reading one of ur posts, I thought to myself.....this person is completely a success story on tapering off sub, staying successfully in recovery with no doubt that if anything went bad u totally admit that you'd be bk on suboxone in a sec if u needed to....and u still show up at this forum helping others and showing tons of support. How awesome is that? U seem very loyal and level headed, and we all appreciate it. I just felt the need to tell u that. Please keep coming bk!! :)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:35 pm 

Hi Pelican, I too share Jen's feelings about you and your story! You are so insightful and it is always good to read anything you post! Enjoy your day!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:36 pm 

H i Manz, Welcome! I started at 24mgs, 3, 8mgs strips per day. After about 6 months I dropped to 16mgs, 8mgs in the am and 8mgs in the pm. Then about 4 months later I went to three 4mgs strips a day. Then in 2 months to 2, 4mgs one in the am and 1 strp at night. Then I went to 6mgs, 2mgs three times a day. My most recent drop was eliminating the 2mgs strip in the middle of the day. So, I am now at 4mgs and am doing great! I really have just felt better and better with each drop. From the begining, my doc and I thought it would be best for me to break it up through the day because I also use it for pain. I am getting ready to try cutting a two mg strip in half and taking it twice a day. It is a slow process and I am fine with that! I am in no rush! I have read, the slower you go the easier it is and so far, that has been my experience. Have a great day!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi willow,

The side effects are really minimal, it's nothing like going through withdrawal when you taper down, and i didn't get any cravings for drugs either.

Here our doctors let us go at our own pace, well at least my doctor has let me decrease or increase as i see fit to.

It was a psychological game in my head, thinking i was somehow different when i decreased by 2mgs. I feel like the side effects come about a week later - just a little emotional, sore, but nothing like what i used to feel when hanging out for oxy - (or insert your drug of choice here).

Good luck willow, honestly, if your doc thinks it's a good idea and knows you well, then maybe you're ready? But if someone were forcing me to decrease i would be super anxious too. You're not alone.

:)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

If so how long till you stablized at new dose? I just don't want to get all messed up and have cravings and end up using !! I am probably over worrying but I'm good at that like most addicts! !! Anyway thanks for posting about your decrease! I needed someone to!!

Takes me about 3 weeks to feel like I'm stable again - but those 3 weeks are not hard and because you're on bupe, i don't think you should get cravings - suboxone has bupe and nalaxone in it - which stops cravings.

Keep posting and I'll keep replying!

Manz :)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Michelle F. wrote:
H i Manz, Welcome! I started at 24mgs, 3, 8mgs strips per day. After about 6 months I dropped to 16mgs, 8mgs in the am and 8mgs in the pm. Then about 4 months later I went to three 4mgs strips a day. Then in 2 months to 2, 4mgs one in the am and 1 strp at night. Then I went to 6mgs, 2mgs three times a day. My most recent drop was eliminating the 2mgs strip in the middle of the day. So, I am now at 4mgs and am doing great! I really have just felt better and better with each drop. From the begining, my doc and I thought it would be best for me to break it up through the day because I also use it for pain. I am getting ready to try cutting a two mg strip in half and taking it twice a day. It is a slow process and I am fine with that! I am in no rush! I have read, the slower you go the easier it is and so far, that has been my experience. Have a great day!

Wow Michelle! That's incredible! Well done!

I know when i decreased to 8mgs i started feeling like I wanted to exercise and it wasn't difficult to do - a few tiny feelings of discomfort but nothing like during active drug use. In Australia you need to take your dose in front of the pharmacist - so no way to split doses unless you want to spend your life in a pharmacy!

That makes me feel like moving from 6mgs to 4mgs might not be so hard after all!

Do you have any side effects when you decrease?

Manz :)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:57 pm 

Hi Manz, No, actually, the opposite happens, I feel really good. I have heard people say that with suboxone, less is more. That has definitely been the case with me! I have just felt better and better! Now, I have also heard that getting under 2mgs is when it starts to get dicey! So we will see! I have been putting the next drop off because it involves cutting the strips and I am not sure how I am going to preserve the remaining half until I take it in the evening. But, I need to get on it! lol I will let you know when I start!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:28 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

HI Manz. Thanks for your reply. I'm sure that most of the worry is for nothing. My DOC was also oxcy plus anything else ! Lol. My Dr doesn't really know me that well but I also haven't expressed my concern yet either. I plan to at next appt on the 6th. I want to decrease just not sure if I am ready. I am just now 3 months on bup and am finally feeling some progress I'm my emotional state and life issues but have a long way to go. I also have chronic pain from RA and some other stuff. So I guess I will just see what happens at my appt. He is a very open and concerned Dr I think so I am sure he will atleast let me voice my concerns. Thanks for the info and will keep ya posted.

Willow

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:16 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Michelle F. wrote:
Hi Manz, No, actually, the opposite happens, I feel really good. I have heard people say that with suboxone, less is more. That has definitely been the case with me! I have just felt better and better! Now, I have also heard that getting under 2mgs is when it starts to get dicey! So we will see! I have been putting the next drop off because it involves cutting the strips and I am not sure how I am going to preserve the remaining half until I take it in the evening. But, I need to get on it! lol I will let you know when I start!

Hi Michelle, yes, please do let me know how you go. I'm really eager to hear! Thank you :)

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:28 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

willowwitch wrote:
HI Manz. Thanks for your reply. I'm sure that most of the worry is for nothing. My DOC was also oxcy plus anything else ! Lol. My Dr doesn't really know me that well but I also haven't expressed my concern yet either. I plan to at next appt on the 6th. I want to decrease just not sure if I am ready. I am just now 3 months on bup and am finally feeling some progress I'm my emotional state and life issues but have a long way to go. I also have chronic pain from RA and some other stuff. So I guess I will just see what happens at my appt. He is a very open and concerned Dr I think so I am sure he will atleast let me voice my concerns. Thanks for the info and will keep ya posted.

Willow

Hey willow, i hope your pain is manageable? After i started on suboxone, I mucked around trying to get the "right" dose for a year! Then decided at Christmas that i needed to increase (i think it was because I honestly wanted to block out some emotions that i was feeling - it didn't really help and was just typical addict thinking!).

It sounds like your doctor will hear your concerns which is exactly what you want in a doctor.

I think we like to worry! Lol! But you might feel 100 times better from decreasing. Please keep in touch and let me know what happens and how you feel. If you decrease - don't be hard on yourself, have a few days to yourself if you are able to, drink water (helps with bowel movements massively!) and try to get a bit of exercise happening. I never thought I'd be the kind of person who enjoys exercising! And there are still some motivation issues and excuses going around in my head before i exercise, but I feel GREAT after - and i know I've done it for me - that I've done hard work to better myself and that's a good feeling.

Good luck willow!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:25 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

"Eating like an addict" is what my new psych told me - before i even went into my history of addiction.

So i guess I've still got some work to do! I do crave sugar - i love it!

But if i want to taper, I need to get a hold on my addictive behaviors.

So perhaps, before i decrease too much, i should consider eating a couple of apples! Lol! (And low fructose muesli instead of my morning chocolate croissant!)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:38 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So today and yesterday I've taken only 4mg, the day before that i took 6 but the day before that i took 4mgs. I've got flu symptoms but nothing too bad at all, I'm just worried about going to work tomorrow, should i alternate and take 6mgs again or should i stick in there and continue with 4mgs - I suppose it's very individual - only I can guess what's going to be good for me. Maybe alternating mgs for another week would make the transition to 4mgs easier.??...
We'll see!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:33 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I would just stick at one dose ontil your comfortable with it and then move down. Moving back and forth might make it more difficult. Just my thoughts, hope your doing well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:11 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

HI Manz! How are ya today? I had my Dr appt. He is decreasing my dose by .25(was on 12mg). So he has me take 1 1/2 one day and then 1 1/4 the next. Alternating back and forth. Then when I see him in a month I guess he will do 1 1/4 everyday?? Idk yet lol. Of course I haven't really noticed any problems. It's confusing some days if I haven't kept track. So if I'm not sure I just take 1 1/4. I may just do that everyday anyway. Can't tell a difference and then I can save a few for an emergency. Hopefully won't be one but never know! Hope it gets easier for ya. Good to see your post. :D

Willow