It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:19 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Sorry if the title is misleadin...but I have a few questions. I have been taking 3 or 4mg of Sub a day for the past 2 to 2.5 years and have been thinking lately that I would like to get off. I have read horror stories about coming off Sub’s and was wondering if that was because those people were taking high daily doses? What about the length of being on sub’s in relation to ease of pain coming off? I try and take 3mg everyday (I perfer taking my dose in the evening before bed) but some days I kinda feel shitty so I will take 4mg...admittedly I would probably be fine just taking 3mg. I remember seeing a video somewhere of a doctor explaining that a dose at or under 4mg a day should not cause any WD symptoms when stopped. I do think that on those day I feel shitty near dose time it is a mental thing and not because I’m actually experiencing any kind of WD symptoms. Anyway thanks for reading and look forward to everybody’s help and input.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:11 am 

Hey StuckUp :)

If ur wanting to stop taking ur suboxone, the way to do it and be a lot more comfortable, would be to taper off slowly. Slowly with gradual drops in ur dose. I don't have personal experience tapering off buprenorphine, so I'll leave the specifics to someone who can give ya a more thorough type schedule as an example, but I definitely wouldn't recommend for u to just stop cold turkey at 3-4mg. If u can drop slow and steady, by the time u get to ur jumping off point, you'd be a lot better off than stopping at a higher type dose.

The amount of time that u have taken buprenorphine doesn't really matter after a certain point. If ur body is dependent physically then I wouldn't think it'd matter if it were 6 months or 6 years. I could be wrong on that but that's how I think about it.

Ur at a good dose to start tapering if that's what u choose to do. If u feel like ur at a point where u can be ok mentally, u can go as slow as u want. The thing u don't want to do is go too fast with ur taper. Not everyone has the option to taper, but if u can then that would be the best thing for u to do.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge on tapering will be along soon. Good luck and I hope u stick around!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:28 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you for helping...yes I absolutely can taper at my leisure. I have a good doctor who doesn’t break my balls and doesn’t pressure me to drop down or get off. He does ask occasionally but thats all he does is ask not demand thank god. I have no real reason to do it cold turkey and I wouldn’t I just wanted to get some info from some people who know more than I do. Having said that I would like to do it quickly rather than drag it out for another year or whatever but like I said I have no clue what I am in for. Thankfully I have never felt any real WD symtoms. I went from taking something like 140mg of oxy a day after a bad car accident straight to a out paitent detox program where they started me on Sub like 12 hours after my last Oxy pill. What little WD I have felt a few times was more than enough for me to know I never want to fell that again. WD is fuckin crazy as shit...these drugs are so damn bad and yet so helpful for people that live with chronic pain.

Whoever comes up with a pain med that works as good as opiates but doesn’t mess with your brain chemistry will be the most valuable person in history...ever

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Stuck Up Welcome. You have received some good answers. I am currently on 1 and a half mg a day. I ran out early once when I was on 2 mg a day and had to take 1 mg a day for 6 days until my Dr appointment. It was not fun. After 4 days my bowels were constantly rumbling and I was anxious. I am on a very slow taper now. If it takes two years to get off completely, I am okay with that. First of April I plan to start 1 1/2 mg every other day and 1 mg the alternate days.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi,

I have been on 2 mg for about a year and decided i wanted off around christmas this year. Since i ran into some personal issues and didn't start the taper. My plan was to use the "liquefied taper method" but my GP wanted me to use Temgesic instead. Temgesic is buprenorphine which comes in 0.2 mg pills, but without the Nalaxone.

I have now tapered down to 1.4 mg/day (7 x 0,2 mg) and i'm cutting one pill (0.2 mg) each week, and so far i have not felt any wd symtoms at all, i mean zero. I expect to get som symtoms later in the taper process, but i'm allowed to stop at current dose until i stabilize. What i won't do is up my dose. Sometimes i take the whole dose in the morning and sometimes i split it up. I really don't think it matters, like you wrote - it might just be a psychological thing, since the long halflife go buprenorphine. Ask your GP about Temgesic, i live in Sweden but i am not sure if it's available where you live.

It would be my pleasure to update my progress here if you like?

I wish you good luck and sorry for bad english (not my mother of tongue).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:54 am 

BupeF we would absolutely like u to update ur progress! U can even start a thread of ur own and give us a back story of yours.

Good luck!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for joining us here and sharing your experiences. Just to clarify, stuckup, your doctor was not correct about withdrawal. Or maybe there was some confusion in what your doc said. There IS significant withdrawal when stopping from 4 mg of buprenorphine. Maybe he meant that beyond 4 mg, the withdrawal doesn't get any worse from higher doses..... because that WOULD be accurate.

On a dose that is above the 'ceiling level'. buprenorphine is about as potent as taking 40 mg of methadone per day. Stopping an 'addiction' dose of buprenorphine has about the same degree of withdrawal as stopping methadone at 40 mg/d. The comparison to methadone is a commonly-used descriptor of potency, because people sometimes change from methadone-assisted treatment to buprenorphine.

The stuff you'll see on the internet about 'which opioid has the worst withdrawal' is all misguided. Your body doesn't care which opioid is in your body. The problem is that your opioid tolerance is elevated, and has to be brought back down. Long acting meds or drugs will delay the process by a few days, which also reduces the peak severity of withdrawal. But the body corrects itself at the same rate, no matter what drug raised the tolerance.

I saw a patient today who said that he stopped buprenorphine from 12 mg per day, simply stopping about 3 weeks ago. I said 'wow-- were you pretty sick?' He said 'no-- maybe depressed, but not sick'. I said 'you must have had sweats and felt pretty weak!' He said 'yes, I was really sweating at times. I didn't really feel tired though.'

That's completely true by the way-- my point is that sometimes the withdrawal isn't too bad from what I see. It seems to me that early in treatment people are more likely to say withdrawal is very bad when they stop buprenorphine, but after a few years, people tolerate it better.

There are many different approaches to tapering off buprenorphine described on this forum. One thing to consider is to go to [url]suboxsearch.com[/url] and search the forum with the keyword 'taper'. You'll find all sorts of experiences there. Likewise your experiences will help the next person who comes along!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was never one who could taper and my demanding job led me to believe I needed between 16-28mg a day. For 6+ years I took it anytime i thought i needed it. 3 days before I quit I took 16mg one day then 4mg per day for the next 2 days. Im now 22 days clean and I feel better than I ever did on subutex/suboxone. My only complaint now is a low energy level but that takes time to heal. It was one of the hardest things ive ever done but i never missed a day of work even though It literally took everything I had to go. Days 2-7 were the worst and around day 8 or 9 I was able to start sleeping again. I believe forcing myself to work and be active was a huge help. By day 10 things turned for the better in a big way and everyday has gotten better ever since. If you are able to taper then taper but you can taper faster than you think you can. Im just one of those "lets get this over with" people and im glad now that I did it. Good luck to you and as long as you are determined you can do it! Stay positive and stay active. Dont read much into the horror stories man, alot of people are chicken shit lol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I in a way way forced to drop from 24mg a day to 3mg a day.I did it in just a few days and felt great after dropping other than sore,aches,cramping muscles it was nice to think more clearly.
I was having issues with anxiety and although 24mg a day worked it only did work effectly for 4-6 weeks and I’m stretching length of time.
Some days I get by on 1mg 3 times a day and others I get by on 1mg twice a day.
I think it’s the half life effect because the days seem to alternate.
Now that I’m at 1mg every 6-8 hours I have watery eyes,runny nose,sneezing,waking up every 2-3 hours when sleeping,and since I don’t dose 5-6PM by 5-8AM I’m in minor withdrawal until my second dose which is usually by 3PM.

So I dose at 10AM to 3PM,second dose 3PM to 6PM,and if I dose a third time it’s no later than 7PM then early doses are at 10,3 and then 7.
No matter next morning I’m hurting in withdrawals but soon it should last whole day.
I also take 10mg of loperamide,an anti acid for reflux,and catapress for sleeping but I ran out of all but catapress and Im so tired by night I forget to take.
I work from daybreak to 2PM,then from 4PM to 7PM so I’m tired by end of day but the excersize is helping more than doing nothing.
The loperamide helps a lot,so does catapress and the reflux medicine helps also.
Loperamide keeps the lower smooth muscles from overacting,and acid reflux is from overactive upper smooth muscles.Opiates effect the smooth muscles so the digestive tract can go ape when opiates are discontinued.
Catapress helps relax circulation and knocks out anxiety greatly so sleeping is much better along with anxiety.
I’d say loperamide,antacid,and catapress are great tools for opiate withdrawals.Maybe a muscle relaxer also but which one I have no idea.Id like something for aching joints and stiff fingers in hands.
My elbow down to fingertips go dead,numb and aches during rest or sleep.
The only time I don’t ache is when moving or working so I stay busy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:02 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

ive been on bupe for 10 yrs, last 7 on a program where NYC drs would come to Albany ny and write whatever you wanted, for cash visits. After I stopped going, I had acquired about 350 strips as I was only taking 2 a week when they were giving me 2 a day. They lasted like 3 years and now I'm buying on street. It sucks cuz I have no drug record and know i'm playing with fire. I recently got diagnosed with a slipped disc in back, putting pressure on a hip nerve and the bupe helps a lot with pain. I'm taking about 2mgs a day now. They flat out refuse to give me any pain meds because of the nation wide abuse. What do I do ? who wants to be in pain. I don't want to go to a MAT clinic, cuz they'll give me too much. I was never addicted to opiates, just started usuing bupe to get high and it never showed up on tests for work. Ususally just got the DOT 5 panel tests. I don't know what to do, keep taking for pain or jump off.