It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've read a lot of the other multi-page journals of people quitting on the forum, so I thought I would try and post my own as I go.

I was on Suboxone for 6 months before beginning to taper, taking 8mg/day. In June I started to taper down, dropping to 1mg after a few weeks, and then 25% drops every week.
I spent August 20-26 on 0.125mg, then dropped to 0.07mg. I skipped a dose Tuesday to try and feel out if I'd make it through the first day alright. I didn't have any problems, so I took my final 0.07mg dose In the morning on 8/31. The idea was to time it so that the hardest days occur over the weekend and Labor Day, giving me an extra day to try and recover.

I was fine yesterday (9/1), nothing more than a mild headache at the end of the day. Today (9/2) is my 2nd day without taking suboxone in the morning, still feeling mostly fine, with a mild headache. I'm trying to defer taking Imodium and similar until at least later tonight. So far all I have been taking is DLPA and Calm Support.

I've been lazier than I should be about running, I'm going to try and run tonight or tomorrow (I usually work late and I don't want running to interfere with whatever sleep I can get before that falls apart).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Day 3 without taking suboxone, 4pm:

Everything has been absolutely fine so far. I had a minor headache for a couple hours yesterday but otherwise no change. (headache wasn't any worse than I experienced when tapering). I woke up at about 2 am, slightly restless, but made it back to sleep in ~15 minutes. Slept until 8 or so.

Today I've been fine as well, no withdrawal symptoms worth speaking of. My eyes watered for a bit a few hours ago but then it went away. I went out for lunch and walked a mile or so. Feeling fine so far. I'm starting to worry that day 3/4/5 won't be the worst days given that I haven't started to go into any noticeable withdrawal yet. :( Hell of a half life if I'm still not feeling any symptoms given the dose I was taking. I'm not sure if it makes sense to try and figure out how much suboxone is still left in me cumulatively and when it will go away, since my understanding is that it behaves differently at low doses (and there is a sharp dropoff in receptors affected).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Day 6 (9am):

Everything continued to be fine throughout the weekend and Monday. No withdrawal symptoms at all. Yesterday I felt great when I woke up and through the morning actually. I've been sleeping without any problems at night, waking up at ~7:30 most days, but sometimes closer to 8:30 or 9. Same this morning - I feel really good (And when I say I feel really good, I don't mean for being in w/d, I mean as good as any day while taking suboxone.).

It's really weird that I've been feeling fine since stopping. Even when I tapered 50% from 0.125mg to 0.07mg, I remember feeling especially crappy for a day or two within the first couple days as the stronger doses faded away. But when I finally stopped at 0.07mg, I never felt any w/d symptoms in the first few days, or even what I'd see when tapering to a lower dose. Also I mean literally _any_ w/d symptoms, my eyes tearing or nose running or my legs moving even a little would be notable at this point. (I've seen other people mention this - I have been sneezing noticeably more, up from not at all to several times a day now...). I don't even feel down or tired at all.

Hopefully things keep going well and I don't hit any problems day 7-10. I'll try and keep posting at least at this frequency for a bit, it feels weird to check in and announce that I'm not experiencing any symptoms from stopping every day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI Colours,

I am so glad you are posting this. It really goes to show you that if you taper low enough, that the withdraws are mild and totally tolerable. I really think you are not going to experience any major withdraws because you have already done all the hard work during your slow taper. It seems like you have done this the right way and tapered to such a low % of subs that your body doesn't feel much with you finally step off of it completely.

This is great info for people interested in getting off of subs but are wanting to avoid withdrawls. Keep up the great work and keep checking in with the blog so we can follow you.

You have our support and I just wanted to let you know that I am reading your posts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:26 pm 

I agree with raudy. I think that u tapered slow and low enough that u have (hopefully) avoided the withdrawal, at least most of it. And that's exactly the type of commitment and patience that it takes to taper off suboxone imo. U hear some ppl say how awful withdrawal is, but if u do it the way u did, it can be much much better.

So awesome job and good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks jennjenn and raudy for the encouragement :)!

Day 7 (morning): Still feeling great. Yesterday I felt pretty good all day, even made it through a somewhat depressing decision at the end of the day without being too distressed about it.

I got a great night of sleep last night, from ~10pm to 7:30am. Woke up feeling really refreshed and good. I didn't wake up at all during the middle of the night.

Heading off to work in a bit. Switched a few days ago from Calm Support to Elimidrol Daytime (have the nighttime formula too but haven't needed to open it). I don't really know if Elimidrol is doing anything (or if Calm Support was either) but I can stomach the fruit punch taste once a day just in case it is. I've been feeling pretty good for the few hours the last few days right after I wake up and I take the Elimidrol right before leaving for work, so I know I've been feeling good before I take it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:44 am 

I think ur patience during ur slow taper has paid off. I've heard it here on this forum before...someone tapers to a low low dose and when they're done, they literally have no withdrawal. I'd say u probably don't even need the comfort stuff (but that's just totally my opinion).

Ur definitely a positive example, keep us updated :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Day 8 (evening):

I felt fine yesterday (day 7).

I felt good today as well. Still no physical symptoms. I'm starting to feel hopeful that I'm so fortunate as to skip all of the acute withdrawals. I haven't seen anyone saying that they started to experience w/d past day 10, so I think I'm really close. If that's the case I'll add a bunch of details about my taper and anything else that might be relevant (no caffeine, no red meat, eat salad daily?) because I wholeheartedly recommend extending the taper a few weeks even if it means some extra taper w/d symptoms in exchange for no real acute w/d symptoms. :)

If nothing has happened by Sunday, I'll probably stop taking the Elimidrol.

Edit: Also, I don't miss taking suboxone or have any opiate cravings, no cravings at all yet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone!

Apologies for not posting, I've been meaning to.

Day 15 (morning): Things are going well. I never suffered any physical withdrawal symptoms at all. I assume that at day 15 I will never experience any, which I am thankful for being so fortunate. Around Day 10 or Day 11 I stopped counting the days since I'd stopped and generally just stopped thinking about it. (Fortunately my first day without was on the 1st so its easy to count days).

Edit: Also, the sneezing I mentioned in Day 6 has been long gone. It was only a few times a day at its worst so was never a problem.

I generally feel really good. Definitely much better than when I was tapering. I do find that I can get tired in the evening if I haven't had enough sleep, compared to the "free" energy that opiates or suboxone gives you its definitely a weird feeling (I just realized that until last night out at a club when I yawned around 11pm I hadn't been "tired" in a long time). Sleep has pretty much returned to normal starting a few days back as far as I can tell, I'm sleeping fine and woke up at 8:30 today to my alarm.

I still haven't had any cravings for suboxone or opiates in general which is good.

I don't think my mind feels any clearer (a bunch of people I read noted that they felt some noticeable change) off of the drug vs on it.

What I do experience as far as side effects go is some bouts of depression like side effects (usually last ~15 minutes or half an hour, though last night probably for a couple hours on and off). These started a few days ago and it has happened a couple times. Basically I'll find myself ruminating on some choice and focus on a single very negative option. Things like pushing a woman I'm seeing away - in order to achieve what, I don't really know? Theoretically to have more time to ... work on myself, or get more done at work? I don't know, hard to say without being in that thought space. I'm good at recognizing that it is caused by coming off of the drug and avoiding taking any action on it, though its hard to stop thinking about it if I can't find a distraction. I'm really curious about the mechanism for it happening in the brain, it only happens at night at the end of the day, but not every night either. I'm still taking the elimadrol in the morning as a result, in case that is helping me get through the day, I don't see any harm in continuing to take it for a while. If anyone has some thoughts I'd be very interested! Especially suggestions on something I might be able to take that is more targeted perhaps than elimadrol with its wide array of supplements? e.g. - if its related to a lack of dopamine maybe I'd be better off switching to taking just DLPA in the morning and afternoon (I believe Elimadrol Daytime has DLPA in it).

Thanks for your thoughts and time!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Day 23 (morning):

I have good news and bad news, and the bad news is why its been a week since my last update. Good news first:

The Good News:
Since my last update I haven't experienced any episodes of depression / rumination at all. Physically still no symptoms. I don't think I'm going to experience any at this point, so I'll probably stop remarking on it. Still no cravings. Sleep is 100% normal continuing from my last post on the 15th where it already had been normal again for a few days. Everything is great, aside from...

The Bad News:
I broke my foot last Friday. :( (there does not exist an emoji that looks sufficiently sad). I thought it was just sprained until I finally got X-rays on Wednesday. Seeing a surgeon soon to find out what they're going to do long term. Currently I'm on crutches and in a ton of pain, which I'm taking a bunch of advil a few times a day for. It is currently pretty much ruining my life :) - I've made some really good life changes over the last few months (I don't watch TV anymore, I don't spend time at night reading the internet or playing games, I don't eat ice cream or any candy, I don't drink caffeine (occasional chai tea excepted), I eat salad 5x a week, I don't really spend much time at my apt except to sleep, my apt is super clean, I go to a ton of events / clubs / parties to dance and enjoy music and meet people) and I'm really worried this is going to be a big setback if I have to be on crutches / in a cast / boot for months. I won't be able to make it to a bunch of events that I was really looking forward to. My apt is slowly becoming a mess because I can't pick up anything and walk on the crutches. :( Depending on the news I get from the surgeon this could really suck. Plus taking the 3 advil at once really messes me up - I feel terrible to the point where I tried to skip my dose yesterday afternoon and that was also a pretty bad mistake given how much my foot hurts right now. Anyways, sort of a in a holding pattern right now while I wait for the surgeon to see me and I find out my fate.

Edit: Also - I discontinued taking the Elimadrol on Saturday after spraining my foot - I didn't want anything to hide the amount of pain I was in so I could try and evaluate how bad my foot was. I haven't taken it since, and due to the bone being broken they told me it is important to watch out for any additional pain. Since parts of the elimadrol are psychoactive, I stopped taking it. I don't plan to resume taking it, so all done with the suboxone recovery supplies I bought.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:57 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Such an inspirational thread especially to others fearing the taper. Congratulations on becoming opiate free, you are a winner! I'm following closely in your foot steps. Slow is the way to go. It's very interesting to read the successes of others. There's always a few pointers to learn.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune with your foot. What a bummer way to end one ordeal and start another.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Colours,

This is has been an excellent thread and now even more so bc real life hit w your broken foot. I feel for you. Real life does come along and make recovery harder. I'm aware Dr J is not a fan of prednisone so I say that first. I've carefully utilized it when advil was not enough and found pain relief. Glad you are here and posting. We are here reading and supporting you all the way. Please keep updating!

Fork, glad you are here too, I read and enjoy your posts. Wishing all my best, Pel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the messages and support! Really appreciate it, I've read everyone's messages many times now :). As promised I wrote up a summary of my taper.

fork - best of luck. Take it slow and make steady progress and you'll be done before you know it.

Pelican - thanks for the well wishes. Breaking my foot really sucks, ruined my entire event calendar for the month :P . I have to be really careful with my foot, can't even have sex for a few weeks which I was really looking forward to after finishing coming off of suboxone. :(

Quick update:
29 days (evening):
No physical symptoms.
No more rumination / acute depression at all. Not even a little.
No sign of PAWS, cravings, etc.
Things are good. :)

On my foot: I fractured it quite badly, and in addition to breaking a bone on the left side along my little toe I managed to sprain the top of my foot. In a lot of pain for much of the day, or it is really easy to walk not exactly perfectly (not tripping or twisting, just literally normal walking and I can still hurt it) and cause tremendous acute pain for several hours after. I finally saw the surgeon and have it in a boot. It'll be there for another 6 weeks and then I'll find out if it is healing or I need surgery or anything else horrible. I can't stand wearing the boot but I'm doing my best.

Coming up on a month off suboxone and feeling really good about that. :) My sex drive is coming back too which is really nice (caused an immense amount of conflict while tapering - simply could not have sex while tapering but could when I was on my prescription as well as my steady state suboxone dose). At the moment at least I guess I count myself really lucky that I might skip PAWS.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:27 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

This helped a lot needed this bad.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone!

Day 41 (morning): It has been a while since I last posted. I thought I'd give a quick update.

My Broken Foot: Recovering nicely. Still in the boot for 4 more weeks, but the amount of pain I'm in has decreased dramatically over the last few days. If this keeps up, next week I can start doing more things, and I can take the boot off at night already!

Suboxone: Still fine, no paws, no cravings, no physical symptoms. Also, I wrote this somewhere else, but I'll mention it here. I was able to reject opiate based pain medication for my foot without any problems or temptation when offered, which was nice. (My foot was pretty bad and I was in a lot of pain sometimes, basically rolling in bed overwhelmed by it for half hour periods). I'm really happy aside from my foot, and can't wait until it has recovered so that I can go out and do things again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:32 pm 

Hi Colours, SO HAPPY FOR YOU! When I first read about the foot, I got so worried! I thought for sure they would give you something for pain and that it could lead to a problem. But no.....YOU ARE MY HERO! How did you do that pain without relief? I broke my ankle many years ago but do remember the pain! You really are amazing! So very happy for you! Please, keep posting so we can keep up with your success!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What a read! I too am so proud that you skipt out on the pain meds after breaking your foot. It's coming along well too I see since you can take it out at night. Thank you for starting this thread. Angie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone, I wanted to quickly check in and mention that everything is still going great. Actually forgot about posting on here but was reminded by a bookmark on my iPad.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:55 am 

Thanks for the update! Glad you're out there living life!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey colours,

Thanks for these updates. Really inspirational. I'm curious what you've done in your life...if anything...to
fortify yourself against cravings. I take it you're an addict, as opposed to simply dependent as a pain
patient. Sure doesn't sound like the latter.

I don't think you mentioned anything about the 12 Steps (though I might have missed it.) Or therapy.
And yet you're making all these positive changes in your life in addition to the successful jump.
If it's all on your own it's especially admirable.

I broke my ankle years ago and the pain was hellacious. Like you I thought it was just sprained
and I didn't even bother going to the doctor until some 2 months later because it was still bothering
me. He took an x-ray and confirmed I'd broken it. So I know how painful a broken bone
can be. It's amazing to me...in a very good way...you were able without apparent difficulty
to "just say no" to the pain meds (pernicious and utterly clueless Nancy Reagan slogan from back in the 80's
if not familiar) with such severe pain.

Your posts are helpful to many addicts like me who hope one day to be medication free. I'm not intending to rain on your parade in any way. Just one addict to another asking questions that strike
me as pertinent, and that might also help me find my own way down the road.

I wish you much success.

Godfrey.