It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Trying to quit
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:08 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello. I'm glad I found this forum, Seems very useful. Ive been on subs for 4 years, and I'm ready to quit. The chronic constipation that I never dealt with before in my life has caused me anxiety and frustration. I've been taking 8mg everyday for 4 years. So that is 2mg x4 per day. Last week I said to myself "I'm just going to half my dose..." So I've been on 4mg a day now, dosing twice a day for a week. Withdrawal has been painful but it will be worth it. Now Im planning on cutting down even more starting tomorrow morning, to just 1mg a day... Then to nothing eventually... I'm just so fed up of suboxone. Any idea when body functions will return to normal? I understand the half life is quite long on subs but I'm ready to have daily bowel movements again... If you know what I mean. I can suffer through the physical withdrawals,that is easy but the cravings and mental withdrawal is difficult, but as I know, it will eventually subside. How long did it take you people to have normal bowel functions again after quitting? I have tried everything over the years to help with constipation but the false fixes only last for a while, as you know. Thanks guys. Anything you could tell will will certainly be appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Trying to quit
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome. I have heard people report constipation on Sub (there is a thread about it on this forum that you can search). But I never heard of anyone actually quitting Sub because of it. Have you been to a doctor ? I’m just thinking that if the Sub is working for you it may be worth finding an effective treatment for constipation rather than stopping Sub.
In my personal experience cutting down to 4mg was easy, and cutting to two wasn’t bad - but under 2 becomes difficult. You ask how long it takes for normal bowel function to return after Sub. I think many people will tell you they have normal function ON Sub.

Maybe you can tell us more about what led you to Sub and how it has worked for you. In the meantime I would advise against a super fast taper.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:07 pm 

Like Lilly said, a slow longer taper is key to staying comfortable.

I never had constipation on suboxone that was worse than when I was using regular opiates. I do experience some constipation every now and then though, but I have found ways to make it easier.

I suffered pretty bad during my using days and even had a couple trips to the ER because of severe constipation. As bad as constipation can be, I don't think I could personally face the cravings I'd have if I stopped suboxone. That's just me though, u may not have cravings like I would. Sometimes u have to measure what would be worse. Hopefully u make the best decision for u.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:32 pm 

It is surprising to read you had withdrawals going from 8-4 mg's. Most of us did not but then every person has a different metabolism. Like Lilly said, it is unusual to have constipation for this long. I only had it for a short time until my body acclimated to it.

Try to taper more slowly. Like no more than 10-20% every two weeks. In this last year I went from 6 mg's down to 1 mg w/o any ill effects at all. Now 1 mg feels like a strong dose. You too can get there if you do it right. Once you get down to a low amount then think hard if you really want off. You may do very good on a low dose.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Quote:
How long did it take you people to have normal bowel functions again after quitting? I have tried everything over the years to help with constipation but the false fixes only last for a while, as you know.

I had bad constipation at <2mg a day. The only thing that worked was Natural Calm Magnesium.

Happy to report that as soon I stopped sub, all back to normal within a few days.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

With assistance most people can have normal bowels while on Suboxone.
I have four groups of patients
1 no problems - controlled with diet and fluid intake.
2 take miralax 1-3 times a week, the largest group
3 take miralax daily
4 miralax + something else.
OK, one more, a tiny group that more extraordinary measures or a consult is required.

I don't have TV but understand that medications for OIC (opiate induced constipation) are being marketed now.
Your Sub doctor should be able to give you guidance, even if they are a psychiatrist. Group 5 I sometimes ask for help from their PCP or a gastroenterologist.