It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:16 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I need to fill my Suboxone RX 5-6 days early due to dosage change issues.

My doctor gave me 2 strips a day for months when I only took 1.5 and now I am down to 1 1/4 strips a day so to use up my extras my doctor wrote an RX for 30 strips at my last visit 5 weeks ago. Issue is, my last script was written on 2/28, however due to my extra strips, I didn't FILL the RX until 3/19. Now I will be out of Subs on 4/11, which is 5 weeks after my last visit, however only 23 days since my last fill. My insurance has a high deductible so I basically pay out of pocket. I have never had to pick up my RX early before as I only filled it every 6 weeks due to all the extra I was being prescribed, so I really don't want any hassle. Especially as one of the pharmacists there looks down on Suboxone patients. Do you think it will be an issue? Or does anyone know the regulations- I am in WI if that helps- Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:49 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey there, Helpineedsomebody...

First thing I wanna say is the pharmacy you're going to could get into a lot of trouble for "looking down" on Suboxone patients. Can I ask what their problem is? Maybe they shouldn't be working as a pharmacist if they have a problem with someone's medication. They are breaking the HIPPA laws.

Secondly, explain everything that you wrote here on the forum to the pharmacy & your doctor. For me personally, I know that my medicine can be filled up to two days early. I also live in Michigan, so of course it's different. I hope some of the moderators here can answer your question more accurately. Please come back & let us know how you're doing!

Good luck!!

Ash

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:19 pm 

The pharmacists can be a real pain depending where you live. Your doctor has the say on whether or not to fill a script early. People go on vacation and need to refill early. They will bring in proof of some kind to show they are leaving the city or state.

In your case you should just explain it all to your doctor and let their office handle it. As long as you haven't been asking several times then you should be fine. There really isn't anything we can tell you that would make your pharmacy fill it. The norm is 2-3 days early but some prefer it closer depending on the attitude of your pharmacist.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:11 pm 

Yes, like Rule said, it's up to your doctor, and since you seem to be using insurance even if it doesn't help much, your insurance company. I can fill my Zubsolv every 4 weeks, but the Nucynta ER (a long acting form of opioid that helps with my chronic pain, but doesn't cause any euphoria) I had to wait 30 days. My insurance company determined when I could fill each of them.

Does anyone know if there is still a coupon around for suboxone that lowers your out of pocket deductible?

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:29 pm 

Yes, the coupon card is still valid. Every January 1st I ask for a new one from my doctor. With insurance being billed first and then the discount card, my copay is only $20. Sorry if that irritates some people who pay a lot more. It is my reward for working for the government over 30 years.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:54 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Not entirely true. The ultimate decision on whether or not to fill a script is up to the pharmacist. It's his (or her) license on the line.
Typically they allow for 3 days, however if there's a documentable reason, earlier fills can be approved.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:20 pm 

To follow up on the discount card from the makers of Suboxone or any other Bupernorphine product, I have the same account from my card from the last 2 years. When Indivor, who took over making Suboxone from Rickett issused there new card, it wasnt as good.They cut the savings total for out of pocket patients to 170.00 top end. RBs was at 225.00. So I didnt give Walmart Phar the new one in Jan 2 years ago and still save more than a1/3 off. Bottem line is im pushing 300 as of 2018. Walmart has rased my price 14 dollars a year for 4 years. So, yes indeed, go to any of the manufactures web sites and there will be discount cards. Zubsolv, Bunivail, and Suboxone...It is hard paying for this but still very much worth it. . also early fills?... like someone has said, all depends on whos working that day behind the counter and what kind of history you have with the phar.. good luck....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:21 pm 

I use the suboxone coupons also. It actually saves me a lot every month. The only thing I’ve ever had to do was one time I printed a coupon off the suboxone website and gave it to my pharmacy. They’ve taken care of it since. I don’t know the ins and outs of it because they always just automatically apply it to my script and since I get partial fills every month, they let me use it on the second fill too.

There’s been a few times that they’ve told me that their website was down for the site that they are supposed to apply to my script, and they weren’t able to do it..... but I can choose to wait it out and come bk after awhile when it’s bk up. That’s not happened but a couple times in 6 years so the coupon is well worth checking into. Especially if ur like me and pay a lot of money and live in an area where the price is enormous!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:57 pm 

rule62 wrote:
Yes, the coupon card is still valid. Every January 1st I ask for a new one from my doctor. With insurance being billed first and then the discount card, my copay is only $20. Sorry if that irritates some people who pay a lot more. It is my reward for working for the government over 30 years.

LOL, Rule!!!

Duke, what I mean by the insurance company determining how soon I can pick up my next script is that my pharmacist can't fill the script until my insurance company is willing to pay for it, unless I want to pay cash. And the pharmacy people at my Walgreens love me because I am super nice and grateful to them whenever I talk to them. If it's up to them, they will fill my script ever 28 days. They told me this. It is my insurance company that insists on every 30 days for this one medication.

So yes, ultimately the pharmacy determines the length of time between fills, except if the insurance company won't pay for it until a different number of days has past. It seems pretty capricious. I wish everyone luck!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:48 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

So I contacted my insurance to get my plan rules and got kinda the run around, basically saying, "You don't need a prior authorization", but they made it sound like it was only subject to state laws, of which I could only find laws for Medicaid programs in my state, however I have commercial insurance so it didn't apply to me.

I decided to just go ahead and try to fill today, figuring if I had an issue it may take a couple of days to sort out and I would be out by Thursday so I didn't want to take that chance. They let me sit for 30 minutes and then told me that it went through the first time they ran it through, however when they were to have me pay, the insurance denied it until tomorrow! How annoying. Seriously, it (at least appears to them) to be 9 days early, which is unacceptable, but 8 days is fine? How random. I should of just done what I was going to do and called the doctor and ask for a new script with my appropriate dose on it. (I take 1 and 1/4 strips a day and she wrote for 30 strips again because I had extra). If I would of done that, it would of looked like a dose increase and would of probably been fine. Weird thing is I filled at a difference pharmacy than normal and they knew where and when I last filled my script, even though it wasn't in their chain of pharmacies. Must be a prescription monitoring system. I am going to call the pharmacy before going in tomorrow to make sure it actually does go through, however I may just wait for Wed since I am not as busy that day. I will let you know what comes of it.

As far as the coupons go- the ones from the manufacturer, I know they cover up to $75 a month, does anyone know if it is per calendar month or from last fill? Thanks everyone!