It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I used methadone once in my active addiction because it was all I could find, and I think I remember it got me somewhat high, nothing special though. I'm curious to those on methadone maintenance, does it get you a high at all? I am on subutex, but with methadone being a full-agonist I assumed it still got you high. Or if your on the maintenance does the euphoric feeling just go away after being on it for a while. I am not trying to imply that those on methadone are not working toward recovery, just curious why methadone seems to be phasing out while suboxone is the new opiate maintenance go to drug.

Post subject: Limited Few
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:55 pm 

Hey Stewart1,

There are only a few members who can answer your question so don't get discouraged by the lack of replies. I only posted to you to keep it active until you do get someone who knows more about methadone. IMO, I always though opiate naive people would catch a buzz, just like they would with Suboxone. Neither medication is for those people.

It does remind me of a TV program I watched a few months ago. Medical Mysteries or something like that where a pathologist tries to figure out how a kid died. The kid was about 14 years old and his ADD medication got switched with Methadone pills. After a week of complaining he felt tired, he died. The meth had built up in his body just like Bupe does. Except Bupe doesn't kill a person as far as we know. The boy didn't act like he was high or anything so my guess is now is no, it must be a really mild opiate sensation.

Just a guess and 2¢ worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

yeah I can imagine in an opiate naive person it would definitely get you ripped. Watch the documentary "methadonia" on netflix if you have it and your interested. Its about methadone and using benzos to get a heroin like high. I dont remember exactly its been a while since ive seen it and i was using, might be a trigger for me now that im in recovery i dont like watching shows like that. It just seemed to me like these people on methadone were quite high, so I wanted to see someones opinion who has actually been on it for maintenance. I dont really remember how it was when I did it but dont remember it being anything too special compared to what i was doing, but I think i only took like 40-50 mg. I dont even know if that is a lot.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:18 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Oh i remember that documentary....some people would take benzos ( in the film they called them 'sticks') with their methadone to achieve a 'heroin-like' high. One guy was doing an interview and was rambling on, and would nod out for a few then wake back up and start rambling again like nothing had ever happened. The same person would get kicked out of their group meetings accused of being 'high'. I used to take methadone all the time back in the day, and the methadone alone never really got me 'high' so to speak. I could definitly feel my dose 'come on' for a few hours early in the day, i believe the halflife of methadone is much shorter than buprenorphine so it would make sense that i could 'feel' my dose, although the feeling it provided was nothing comparable to a real opiate like high, more like a feeling a relief and uplifted mood for those few hours that would fade into a similar feeling i get from bupe...which is mainly just normal. So i dont think people on methadone are really getting high when they take only their methadone. maybe there are ways around it, but i dont think if they are following the program they are getting high. Bupe is probably becoming the go to because of the hilf-life being longer, and of course the partial agonism effect.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:04 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello sorry this reply comes so long after first question was posted ,Ive just been on suboxone for a lil over a mnth im a rookie..lol so ive just found this forum.
To answer ur question based on my opinion is I my self and my husband and my best friend and her boyfriend when we were all on methadone we didn't get "high" we felt good all day but the moment we sat down to watch tv within 20 min of sitting still we were all "nodding" that is the only "high" we experienced off of the methadone and I've witnessed a lot of clients at the done clinic that would be sitting there and nodding so I think it may be some what common.
Now I was only at 90ml and only for 10months because once I hit 90ml I started having very bad pain in my hips to the point to where it had affected my ability to walk, if it wasn't for the crippiling pain it caused me I would prob still be on it because me and my best friend also agrees methadone would be our DOC. not because we got "high" but because I love to nod as she does but that is why she and I are now on suboxone because we want to be clean. Hope that helps anyone with that question, but like I said it's only my experience and a couple friends of mine and only my opinion....but has anyone else had or heard of methadone causing pain in ur bones ,hips,etc... I do know it gets into ur bones..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's rather simple why methadone is fading out who wants to go to a clinic everyday? When you can go to a dr once a month?

I've been on methadone for three years was on suboxone for five most of u know my story so I won't go into my whole suboxone rant. But I can tell you from my experience I got more of a buzz off 16 to 24mgs of suboxone than I do from my 170mg mdone dose. To the post above I've never knooded of methadone and trust me I love knodding I'm not saying you did but were you using benzos with your methadone? That's when you see most people on methadone knooded is when they mix the two.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:35 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

16mgs of subs didnt get you more of a buzz than methadone buddy, stop spreading all your stupid propaganda everyone whos lurked here for awhile and has seen your ridiculous lies can see right through your transparent agenda. Theres a reason sub is Rx'd in 30 day supplies and methadone isnt, drumroll...... its because methadone gets you high and sub doesn't, exactly the opposite of the BS you are saying.

Subs arent perfect but being hooked on methadone is worse, of course when your in the thick of it and getting high off your dose everyday you may not think that but when the time comes when it finally stops working completely (which it will just like it did for me and just like it does eventually for everyone else once they reach the clinics dose cap) and you are forced to do the long tedious taper which is like being in 30% withdrawal the whole time and then you finally come off it and get to enjoy the months of misery from withdrawal.

Sorry mods is if Im breaking any rules with this post but Im sick of this guy trying to bash sub and try and sway newcomers to go onto methadone and sign their lives over for whatever his reasons are. Maybe the old adage "misery loves company" applies here, maybe he's miserable like most people on MMT and is trying his best to sway other people to go onto it and ruin their lives as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:19 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Buprecision wrote:
Subs arent perfect but being hooked on methadone is worse, of course when your in the thick of it and getting high off your dose everyday you may not think that but when the time comes when it finally stops working completely (which it will just like it did for me and just like it does eventually for everyone else once they reach the clinics dose cap) and you are forced to do the long tedious taper which is like being in 30% withdrawal the whole time and then you finally come off it and get to enjoy the months of misery from withdrawal.

You mentioned propaganda...I was on methadone for years and wasn't high on methadone alone; there's a significant synergy between all opioids and other CNS depressants, yes...But methadone alone did nothing more than 'maintain me.' after I was on a stable dose, very similarly to buprenorphine.

After years, I didn't ever reach 'that day' in which methadone magically 'stops working,' it's a seemingly stable drug; I certainly know people who have been involved in methadone maintenance for 20-30 years and have not reached 'that day when it finally stops working completely.' I'd still be on methadone many years later except I moved geographically for reasons related to work far away from any methadone clinics and Dr's I was aware of who would RX it. After being stable for a few years on methadone, or at least more stable than I ever was without it, I got off and began using other opioids for a few years before I finally got back on maintenance via buprenorphine. So I know the stability buprenorphine AND methadone can provide. While I might not like all of the things BBOY has to say, it was or at least became his experience with buprenorphine.

Clinic 'dose caps,' are illegal and counterproductive. Though they do still unofficially exist, they exist much less so than they have before. People usually level out and hit their own dosage before clinics begin to refuse increases.

Why would anyone be forced to do a 'long, tedious taper' any more so than people on buprenorphine would? Methadone is a maintenance medication that some people stay on indefinitely.

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:31 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Im not gonna argue with a person with blinders on like you bud sorry, Im pro maintenance for both drugs as ive been on both and they have their place but no armchair expert is gonna tell me a full 170mgs of a potent full agonist like methadone (which bupe is proven by scientific data to only have the agonist activity of between 30-60mgs of methadone leaning more towards the lower end of that spectrum) doesn't get them high but 16mgs of suboxone does, seeing as well..... thats not physically possible so yeah nice try. Oh and yeah clinics do dose cap and no it isnt illegal, quit spewing misinformation you obviously are speaking on a subject you know very little about. I agree with dose caps anyway, there isnt a junkie on this earth that will convince me they have the means and money to acquire a habit off street opiates to where their tolerance is larger than 100mgs of methadone (unless your a millionaire or drug dealer).

Meaning that anyone who is on a larger dose than that is merely saying they need a dose raise because they are desperately trying to chase a high. I lived 3 close to 4 years in that revolving door clinic lifestyle and I had the pleasure to have to talk to all the people there who could give 2 shits about staying clean and were mostly their to dose on top of heroin or to sell their doses, trade them etc so don't tell me I dont know what Im talking about. Oh and to answer your question that you already know the answer to about subs and tapering, subs are much much MUCH easier to get off than that green sludge so don't try and act like they are anywhere near as bad as methadone withdrawal because once again thats a load of BS.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:02 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

This was my first response to your above post and, albeit funny, I had to edit to respond to a couple points: Sorry, I was sitting in my armchair with my blinders on when I responded above. Just disregard everything I said.

There are certain prescribers who do not feel comfortable prescribing more than arbitrary amounts of opioid medications. In reality there are some reasons that people may need dosages beyond those arbitrary numbers and they don't all boil down to junkie greed. All forms of treatment should be individualized, this includes dosages of medication. The days of cookie-cutter care isn't quite over but is moving that way. As there is no ceiling effect to dosages of full agonist medications such as methadone, for whatever reason, some people may need more than your arbitrary number 100. What about people who have been determined to have faster metabolisms and need a split dose, what number are they allowed to go up to?

Your 'junkie scamming to get higher dosage' logic doesn't make sense to me. It's well established that in the average person dosages up to 120mg are needed to create the blockade effect that is extremely important within maintenance. If maintenance were just about eliminating withdrawals, I'd agree with you that no one needs even 100mg BUT maintenance isn't just about eliminating withdrawals, obviously.

I already said that I don't agree with what BBOY says about buprenorphine IN GENERAL. It hasn't been my experience, it hasn't been your experience, it hasn't been the experience of the majority of people but it WAS HIS EXPERIENCE, so who am I to take that away from him? While I believe there is some demonizing going on while looking back he's one of the people who ultimately made the switch and is seemingly doing well. I don't think that it is possible that someone using 170mg or 270mg is getting a stereotypical opioid high when taking only that medication at the same dosage for years. The name of the game is dosage increases with any opioid, that's the nature of addiction/tolerance, buprenorphine and methadone are unique in that way...People can maintain on long-acting opioids without the need to increase dosages.

I did personally taper off a 'high' dosage of methadone, I started using again shortly thereafter but I was able to taper. When people taper off methadone or buprenorphine their likelihood of relapse is almost equally high. That's why I'm not worried about tapering off of buprenorphine, at this time I have no plans to do that.

Its easy to see the stereotypical methadonia-type clients in a clinic setting, they are typically there multiple days weekly. What about the people that are there for a few minutes once a month? They do exist, I know those people. Similarly, seemingly negative sub-groups exists within BMT as well.

Maybe the multiple clinic settings I am familiar with are not the norm, I have never been to a clinic outside of Minnesota but I have spent significant time in seven clinics in all parts of the state of MN.

I hope I don't come across as argumentative. I just believe that both buprenorphine and methadone are both viable options and while I personally favor buprenorphine, if that isn't working and someone is or has switched to methadone I try not to damn them for it.

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

Last edited by TwinCitiesHardcore on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TwinCitiesHardcore wrote:
Sorry, I was sitting in my armchair with my blinders on when I responded above. Just disregard everything I said.

Bahahaha!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Nice post, Twin :!:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lol you have so much anger buddy!

Please tell me how do you know how my body reacts to different drugs? Are you a demon did you possess me so you can see which drug got me higher? It's so painfully obvious you are a troll who follows my every post. How did me saying one drug gave me a buzz turn into a personal attack on not just me but two people. Every single person on this forum but you knows all my post are from my personal experience and are my personal opinions. No where have I ever said these are proven medical facts and you should not take suboxone. I'm all for recovery if that's using suboxone that awesome if it's using methadone than I'm all for it to. But I'm not going to sit here and tell anyone suboxone is rainbows and roses, neither is methadone. But I can tell you my most serious dislike of suboxone anyone on it is a guinea pig or lab rat. Why because it's a brand new drug they still don't know what long term affects it may have 20 years from now. If you knew what I went through during my time on suboxone you would understand every bit of my posts.

We are not so different my friend you sound just like me when you talk about methadone. But never have I called you a lire and said everything you have to say about methadone is false. Which the majority it is,Like methadone just stops magically working one day or methadone gets anyone high thats on a stable dose taking it the right way. Or every single person at a methadone clinic is a junkie. I could keep going but it proves no point nor is it helpful to anyone here especially how you high jacked the OP thread.

At the end of the day you have your personal views and opinions I have mine and let's leave it at that.

Boy

Buprecision wrote:
16mgs of subs didnt get you more of a buzz than methadone buddy, stop spreading all your stupid propaganda everyone whos lurked here for awhile and has seen your ridiculous lies can see right through your transparent agenda. Theres a reason sub is Rx'd in 30 day supplies and methadone isnt, drumroll...... its because methadone gets you high and sub doesn't, exactly the opposite of the BS you are saying.

Sorry mods is if Im breaking any rules with this post but Im sick of this guy trying to bash sub and try and sway newcomers to go onto methadone and sign their lives over for whatever his reasons are. Maybe the old adage "misery loves company" applies here, maybe he's miserable like most people on MMT and is trying his best to sway other people to go onto it and ruin their lives as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Pitching in here to answer the OPs question about if you feel high on methadone maintenance.

I've been on methadone maintenance for two years now and I have to say I have never felt 'high' on it at all. I definitely don't feel the kind of euphoria that I felt when I first started using oxycodone, but I definitely do feel normal, which is a great feeling in itself, especially after years of the constant ups and downs of addiction.

When I first began treatment, they started me at a 20mg dose. They then increased 5mg twice a week until 50mg, where they switched to 5mg increase every week, and then 5mg increases every other week at 70mg+. So as my dose was slowly being titrated up over a period of months, I began to slowly decrease my use of oxy. Past 70mg, I couldn't really feel any euphoria from the oxy I was still doing, but I still needed the oxy for withdrawal as the methadone dose still wasn't holding me till the next morning completely. (Ended up at 100mg in case you are wondering)

So from the way they increased the doses (at my clinic, anyway), it took a good few months for you to get to a stable dose, and by then you are accustomed to the methadone and any euphoria you may have felt from it when you started is long gone. Now after I take my methadone in the morning, I don't feel any different than I did before I took it. I feel normal when I wake up in the morning and I feel normal after I have take my dose for the day. I have no cravings and minimal side effects, so I am happy about that. I get carries for the week now and I'm proud to say I have never once been tempted to save up portions of doses from other days so I could take more on a certain day to get a buzz or anything like that.

Now this is just my experience, but from the other people I have had the chance to talk to about this at the clinic who have been on stable doses, I haven't heard anyone say that their dose makes them feel high.

Methadone Clinic Directory (U.S. and Canada)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:27 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi....so this is thisis the first time I've ever posted on anything like this so you know I must be desperate this is like a shin my daughter is 23 and has been doing heroin on and off since she was 18 they have let her to being in jail for 3 years and I have been out for a little more than a year we have done everything from rehab to therapy to inpatient to outpatient to hypnosis to acupuncture two suboxin and subutex to no avail she still uses so now she has proposed going on methadone I do believe she wants to be clean but cannot achieve it I am scared to death of this process because I have heard a lot of negative things we have tried everything else so I am considering it I believe the difference for her maybe that I am in her life and will monitor this and set a plan this will not be a lifetime goal maybe 6 months or so until her life is street and head is on right and then start to wean of it with my guidance and encouragement to her Clinic and counselors what do you think

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:30 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

okay so I voice texted that...lol...and alot of it was incorrect, but you'll get the jist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi karen,

Glad to hear your daughter is wanting to seek help. That is a good sign.

People say negative things about opioid substitution therapy and a lot of it is just based on misinformation. I would say that it is a worth it to try methadone, she may have better success with it. No matter what the substitution drug, Suboxone, buprenorphine only, or methadone, the individual must want to stop using and they must make an honest effort with the treatment. Another big factor in success is not to rush it. It's okay to not want to be on maintenance therapy for the rest of your life, but planning a schedule of when you are going to get off it before you even start can be counterproductive. It is best to give the treatment the time it needs to work and this can vary widely between individuals. If you taper off before you are ready, you are very likely to just end up back in the same situation where you were before you started.

Methadone Clinic Directory (U.S. and Canada)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:42 pm 

Somniferum wrote:
Hi karen,

Glad to hear your daughter is wanting to seek help. That is a good sign.

People say negative things about opioid substitution therapy and a lot of it is just based on misinformation. I would say that it is a worth it to try methadone, she may have better success with it. No matter what the substitution drug, Suboxone, buprenorphine only, or methadone, the individual must want to stop using and they must make an honest effort with the treatment. Another big factor in success is not to rush it. It's okay to not want to be on maintenance therapy for the rest of your life, but planning a schedule of when you are going to get off it before you even start can be counterproductive. It is best to give the treatment the time it needs to work and this can vary widely between individuals. If you taper off before you are ready, you are very likely to just end up back in the same situation where you were before you started.

I very much agree! Don't consider time that your daughter is on methadone or suboxone as her using! (I'm not saying that you do, but her desire to get on methadone is good news.) Your daughter needs to get stable on her methadone therapy before there is any thought of her getting off. Methadone is difficult to taper from, but not impossible. The trick is to make sure that she has a solid recovery plan and stability before she tries to go off of it. Please don't rush it! Good luck! I hope that your daughters induction on methadone goes well!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My highest dose of methadone was 60mg and no it did not get me high, just tired. People who are on a very high dose (90mg-150mg) don't really get "high" either, just a little euphoric and mostly nod out because they're tired from the dose, not because they're high off the dose. If it does get anyone high, i'm sure it's not as "fun" as pills or heroin.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Methadone is an opiate, plain and simple. It is a full agonist opiate, and is considered pretty high up on the list as far as strength goes. I was on methadone maintenance and after only four months I went in and demanded to be tapered off. I started low and went up, which is pretty much the standard, and they raise you until you're at the "right" dose. Well, I made them stop at 60 and for weeks they hassled me trying to convince me I needed more. I believe there's a reason that MMT has the nickname "liquid handcuffs". On only 60 mgs (which is considered a fairly low dose) J would be fine while I was on the go, and at work. But everyday on my bus ride home I would catch myself nodding and I couldn't get through an entire movie for the life of me! It most certainly did give me a high, and not because of low tolerance either. I was at a two bundle a day habit (when I had the money of course, and days I didn't I would just sell whatever I could so evey bag I sold was one for me.)If I had $ for more than I would do more...And for anyone unsure (I saw a girl asking the other day) a bundle is ten bags of h.
so it is just my opinion that methadone does get people high, and this may not be true for everyone but I am certain it is true for many people. Each of us has a different tolerance, chemistry, metabolism.. Etc.