It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Psoriasis
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:47 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Well,

It's time for me to get off the Sub train and I'm fine with it.

I've been on it now for about 18 months and I'd had NO complaints really, although it does interfere with my ability to remain truly realistic. The false sense of euphoria no matter how subtle has interfered with my pace and progress. I am not as productive although I am productive enough. I know I can be better though.

The true thrust though behind me getting off of Sub is because I am getting a really bad case of psoriasis and it's disgusting (on my scalp) and the back of my ears are red and it itches all the time and most days.

I have to use T/SAL T/GEL shampoo and a special conditioner every day. If I skip a day, the psoriasis gets out of control. It's also creeping onto my face and into my ears.

Doctor and I agreed, fight it or get off and I've decided I really don't like having psoriasis.

I've been taking about 10MG per day and am down to about 8mg per day and dropping as fast as possible.

Have also started exercising every day and am just going to push myself ASAP.

Thankfully I work at home so this will be easier.

Interestingly enough, it took about 12-14 months for this psoriasis to hit me. There's no other reason why I would have it and the doctor and people that I see at meeting have the same issues as well, so it's actually a common thing for long term users.

So... thank you psoriasis for helping me get off of Sub.

I will say, I really do like Sub and would have probably been on it for a lot longer if this psoriasis didn't occur, so I look at it as a blessing and a good omen.

I just need to make sure that I don't substitute the Sub for anything worse, so I'm going to make excercise my substitute and if I OD on excercise, so what, there are worse things.

God bless!

I will keep the forum posted on my progress if anyone is interested.

Just call me itchy! haha

Post subject: Re: Psoriasis
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:03 am 

Hello Timetogetofsub welcome!

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert here on psoriasis because I don't have it & nobody in my family has it, but I have heard a bit about it. Hopefully Dr. Junig (suboxdoc) and/or docm2 will chime in because they're doctors and I'm sure they'll know if buprenorphine can trigger or cause psoriasis.

Personally I have never heard of buprenorphine causing psoriasis and I was under the impression that it can go into remission but never fully goes away. It can be caused by a low immune system or if someone in ur family has it then it's a good possibility that u can be more susceptible to it...... I'm not fully sure, like I said I don't know a whole lot about it. I just don't think suboxone causes psoriasis or can cause it. I'm totally open to being wrong but I've never heard of long term suboxone treatment causing psoriasis.

I just hate to see u stop ur suboxone treatment and still suffer with psoriasis regardless. What exactly is ur doctor saying about all this? He thinks suboxone is the cause?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:35 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I was actually dubious about it myself and you don't see a "lot" of people posting about it online, but... it didn't happen to the 6 people I know who have been on Sub until they reached the 18-month mark. That's the common denominator for all of us. I am not conducting a study, I just started getting the symptoms, started asking people and sure enough, what I'm typing is what I discovered as first hand news from fellow users.

Each person that has the same symptoms that I have fit into the following categories.

Taken it over 18 months.
Taking 8mg or more (Suboxone film) in all cases.
All over 45 years of age.
All male.

These are the common denominators with all six of us. I'm a thorough researcher and I would not just post this online if I didn't have these other persons to factor in. At first, I was wondering, I wonder what the reaction would be if I asked... sure enough... 6 people admitted it. There may be more. I also don't think that all people have psoriasis to the same degree nor do I think they report it. I would take some steroids but there's no way I want to get on prednisone, that stuff is just one more substance I do not want to tango with.

Also consider this. If you were to ask me, if I had psoriasis on my scalp from taking suboxone two months ago, I would have said, "I've never had one problem with it, sorry and I hope you find some answers." Now, consider how misleading and confusing that would be and how it would further complicate the data I'm attempting to support here. One thing that's unfortunate about subscribing substances like Suboxone is, doctors (no offense to doctors I appreciate their hard work, but...)almost never have taken it themselves and can only speak to data and patient interaction and not actual 'personal' experience and I think this hinders their abilities (at least to some extent).

In all six cases the time frames were:
18-19 months x 2
24-26 months x 2
36 months or more x 2 before the psoriasis kicked in.

I have sat down with all of my Sub. friends and we have attempted to make this data as accurate as possible.

Otherwise, I Suboxone is one of the most amazing drugs. I would say that it has made my life so much easier. I will miss it for sure and it's very addictive but for me, I can no longer take it. The psoriasis is my "good omen" and I'm going to run with it. My biggest challenge will be that I want to go back to working at a place where they will perform a drug test and unfortunately, script or not, I am taking Suboxone and Clonazepam.

Not to get off topic, but getting high was not my problem, my Suboxone story is another issue altogether in itself. It's really too bad that Suboxone is not subscribed to people for reasons such as temporary depression, or stomach problems, IBS etc. etc. It's an amazing drug that doesn't destroy your life like Oxycodone or Hydrocodone and various other opiates.
With the right doctor and support, Suboxone could be used to help so many people.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:32 pm 

Hey time. Welcome to the forum!

There are many studies about what triggers psoriasis. I haven't been able to find any that correlate buprenorphine use with psoriasis outbreaks. Typically, a certain threshold has to be reached in order for anecdotal evidence to be the focus of scientific study. So far there is not enough of a push to study suboxone as a trigger for psoriasis.

There are, of course, problems with anecdotal evidence. The six people you are using as evidence that suboxone triggers psoriasis have more in common than you list. From the absurd, (you are all carbon based lifeforms), to the more specific. Do you live in the same area? Do you use the same water source? Do you all have BMIs between 23 and 35? Do you all drink alcohol? Do you all smoke cigarettes? Etc.

Compared to the amount of people who are on this drug, what percentage do you think 6 people represent?

Please know that I'm not saying that you're necessarily wrong, just that what you have at this point is not proof. At the same time, I hope that your psoriasis goes away because I understand that it is an affliction that is distressing, inconvenient, and can be painful.

Nor am I saying that there aren't side effects to buprenorphine that haven't made the "side effects" list on the drug label. There is a side effect that I experienced that I attribute to the suboxone film that also has never been attributed to that formulation of the drug. (I think that I and others perhaps have a reaction to an ingredient in the film that isn't buprenorphine or naloxone.)

What I suggest to you is that you report what you are experiencing to the FDA. Each of you should do this because six reports will make more of an impact than just one. If enough people report this to the FDA, they may find it worth looking into. Here is a link to do that:

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ ... rting.home

You know the questions I asked above about what other similarities you and the other men might have? I asked because I found a study that links both current and former smokers, especially men, to psoriasis outbreaks. The study also includes BMI and stress as possible triggers. Don't you think it's more likely that you all have stress, or that you all smoke or used to smoke? Maybe not. But I'm just trying to get you to challenge your own thinking as I try to do mine too. Here is a link to the article I'm referencing:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 2X15323642

Good luck with your psoriasis. I hope it goes away quickly, whether in conjunction with quitting suboxone or not.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:19 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey time - My dad has been suffering from scalp psoriasis for several years now and sometimes it can get very severe. Please believe me when I say we have been to many different doctors and tried all kinds of ointments and topical solutions and even oral medications. The only thing that worked every time was a topical oil called Taclonex. It's a combination of two ingredients which I can't remember off the top of my head, but it was literally a wonder drug for my dad.

The minute he would put it on he would begin to get relief. He would use it for a few days and then stop for a while, sometimes up to a month or more. It was very expensive when he first had it prescribed years ago, but that was when he was paying out of pocket. Now he has insurance and they cover a good portion of the cost. I would strongly advise you talk to your doctor about it because I have seen first hand the torment that this disease can cause. It's something I wouldn't wish on anyone.

I can't speak to the link between psoriasis and Suboxone use except there isn't much data either way yet. That being said, it's obvious that you're suffering and I want you to know I truly feel for you. If it was me, I would taper down to a small dose of Sub and see if that makes any difference in the severity of your symptoms. Environmental factors, genetics and stress can make scalp psoriasis difficult to treat. So work closely with your provider. I wish you the best of luck!

- OpenMind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:45 pm 

Sorry, never heard of that side effect but it doesn't mean it's not true. It is happening to you and that is real enough.

My only suggestion is for you to taper more slowly than what you posted. Some say 5% reduction every 2 weeks and others can do it at 20-25% like me. Not sure which one you are but you can try to go down no less than 25% and see if you get withdrawals. If so, slow it down. If not, continue on until you're down to a very low amount and then really take it slow. See if the symptoms get less at a lower level, then decide if you really want off it. We'd hate to see you go back to your old drugs so be careful and truthful with yourself.

Venture forth and see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:51 am 
New Poster
New Poster

This makes a lot of sense. I didn't know about these nuances so cheers for the info, Rule62. Good luck with your progress, Time2getofsub.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've had pretty bad psoriasis over the years. I remember when I was on interferon I would run a comb through my hair and there would be a half inch thick layer of dead skin along the comb. Bad stuff.

I've never associated psoriasis with Suboxone, or methadone. However cutters in heroin DEFINITELY make it bad. I could only use pure in the end, which comes with its own risks and is very expensive.

The things that affected my psoriasis were lithium (bad) and interferon (worse). Now I'm no longer on either of them, the only sign of psoriasis is a little red mark on my back. The rest is gone.

I do feel that if sub affected psoriasis I would have noticed. All I can suggest is trial a dose lowering, or come off entirely, and see if the situation improves.

Also only use soap free wash. I use this fantastic shampoo called Aesop Calming. It's $ but worth it.

Soap free all the way.