It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey guys so I've been on suboxone 1 1/2 STRIPS (12mgs) daily for 3 years. I was just at the docs Monday and brought up switching to Zubsolv or generic suboxone tabs ..he switched me to the generic suboxone..I have to say I feel like crap. I literally feel like I would if I only took a third (4mg out of 12mg) of my dose when I was still took the strips..I'll take my dose at 6am like normal and literally by 6pm I feel like I need another..Is it uncommon for the doc to call in strips to fix this? Or since its the same "dose" I would,have to wait 20+ more days? Of does the delivery method make difference since its tabs or strips? So it's a different medication? What should I do?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:04 am 

It's obviously the same medicine regardless if it is the strips or pills but I have a theory that the reason ppl tend to feel a difference sometimes is to do with absorption. I could be totally wrong but that makes sense to me. If ur used to the strips for so long then switch to the pills, it is a little different feeling when u dose as far as the pill kinda moves a little if u let it and the strip usually sticks in one place. I'm only basing my opinion on an experience I had on the pills years ago. I've always been on the strips and once upon a time I thought I'd switch to the pills. I hated it and didn't continue that idea. Now that I'm a little more educated on it, I'm convinced it was the absorption plus a little bit of me mentally convincing myself it wasn't working like the strips. I wasn't holding it in one place under my tongue, I'd let it slip around because I couldn't get a good hold on it and I think that could possibly be what my problem was. I just think that it was different and I wasn't handling it very well. That's just my opinion on it for someone who is used to strips and then switch to the pills.

I wish now that I would have stuck with the pill form due to financial reasons and have been recently thinking of switching from the strips to a generic.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think Jenn is right about absorption... remember, Dan, that with the strips people absorb about 30% of the dose (about 2.6 mg out of an 8 mg strip). Nobody has studied the absorption with generic tabs; I'm sure that each one (there are a number of companies making the generic tabs now) the absorption varies to some extent. Just look at Zubsolv- a tab that claims 40% absorption-- as evidence that small differences in size and rate of dissolving can impact the bioavailability.

There are also psychological factors that patients always have a hard time believing, but that I'm certain exist in at least some cases.

Dan asked if a doctor would call in strips to help him. What I personally would do is require the patient to use up what he/she has, for the number of days that they cover (e.g. for 30 days), then change after that. In the meantime, I'd recommend that the patient check out my blog post on optimizing absorption of buprenorphine (google that phrase and it should pop up).

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dan, you had this same query last August. How did you resolve it then?

PAX