It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone. My name is Lance. I've been on the sublingual suboxone strips for 3.3 years now.
I currently go to a shady doctor that is more interested in making money than his actual patients (a story for another day). However, he is all I have- in terms of a sub doctor.

Anyways, I am in a dilemma. My doctor cuts my dose about every 4 months down a mg.
I am currently prescribed 15 8mg strips a month, aka 4mg a day.
I do not take one dose a day like I see many of you do. I take 2mg at 8am when I wake up, and at 8pm when I am getting ready for bed to guarantee no issues sleeping. However, now that I am down to only 4mg a day the cravings have become a problem.

My doctor has prescribed me klonopin to help with withdrawals when I need them. I won't take them on a daily basis, because I am scared to death of benzo withdrawal. I'm scared to death of withdrawals in general, really.

I digress- my problem is this: I take my 2mg in the morning, and then in the middle of the day my mind craves another dose, which I sometimes give in to about once every 3 days or so. Which means I am taking 3 doses a day sometimes, rather than the two I am prescribed. I know the main issue is thinking about subxone too often. My doctor knows I do it twice a day and that I split my dose in half. He doesn't know that I have an issue with mid-day cravings. I was thinking they could be caused by doing small doses, or taking doses too often (twice a day being too often?).

I would prefer to be on subs forever, but my doctor is sketchy so he feels the need to lower the dose of his clients once every 4 months or so to "avoid the DEA shutting him down", as he said to me. So that's why I was given the kpins. I have to visit my doctor once a month and pay him $110 in cash. No insurance accepted. All cash business.

Personally, I feel 6mg is what I need to avoid cravings.

I'm pretty sure I need to try doing one larger dose a day (instead of 2, and sometimes even the 3) smaller ones each day. If I was to take the entire 4mg dose I am prescribed, perhaps that would stop my mid day cravings?

I'm not sure how to do this change, or what tie would be best for me to take the single dose, since it's always just been in the morning and before bed for me all these years. I was thinking maybe taking just the single 4mg dose at around noon?

When do you guys take your doses? And how many do you take a day? I really need to figure out the most optimal time to take my dose to avoid daily cravings, and to still be able to sleep at night.

I wish my doctor would let me just stay at 6mg, but he will probably be cutting me down to 3mg soon, so I'm going to have to figure this out.

Any advice or help would be great.

Thanks!

Last edited by LiberationActivist on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Today I waited until noon and took the 4mg dose. I am hoping this will be enough to get me through tonight to get used to the change. I might take a klonopin if I do have trouble sleeping tonight. Then hopefully, I will be able to make it to noon tomorrow to do the same. I think doing one dose a day would help me a lot when it comes to thinking about subs.

Update: This dose was much more powerful than the little 2mg I was used to. I can tell it's going to last much longer, so this might actually work. It's all about how to get through the night. Would still love to get some advice here.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:36 pm 

Hello L Activist,
Glad to have you here.

The very best action of being on Suboxone is craving blocking and wd . From what you ve said here your Dr is steering you into a place where these postive things are slowly dropping the comfort zone in your recovery.
You say you wish to stay on 6mgs?, well tell this dr that is where you want to stay! He can leave you there if he wanted to. Ask him. Your doin "ok" at 4mgs now but having trouble feeling well in the 24 hour dose period. I believe 4mgs is near the bottom of the ceiling effect. Go lower and you may feel negitive or tired but not sick. All in all your system can adjust to 4mgs, if You wanted to be there. But you sound like you do not.
Your living in a larger city in Fla, can't you find a new dr who cares how You feel? I dont get the DEA excuse. Heard it before but who knows why or what his problem is. Id look around . My dr and clinic will let us decide when we go down, in our own time.

I take my med twice a day. Mostly always have. Im coming up on 7 years, i have a good doc.

As far as your questions, well 4mgs once a day, with a busy life style and a good knowledge of obsorbtion of sub, you could be just fine. There are just to many variations in each person to give a great answer. Im sorry about that. Maybe one of our drs will show up here at the forum and answer. ..
Welcome to the forum .

Razor

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

razor55 wrote:
Hello L Activist,
Glad to have you here.

The very best action of being on Suboxone is craving blocking and wd . From what you ve said here your Dr is steering you into a place where these postive things are slowly dropping the comfort zone in your recovery.
You say you wish to stay on 6mgs?, well tell this dr that is where you want to stay! He can leave you there if he wanted to. Ask him. Your doin "ok" at 4mgs now but having trouble feeling well in the 24 hour dose period. I believe 4mgs is near the bottom of the ceiling effect. Go lower and you may feel negitive or tired but not sick. All in all your system can adjust to 4mgs, if You wanted to be there. But you sound like you do not.
Your living in a larger city in Fla, can't you find a new dr who cares how You feel? I dont get the DEA excuse. Heard it before but who knows why or what his problem is. Id look around . My dr and clinic will let us decide when we go down, in our own time.

I take my med twice a day. Mostly always have. Im coming up on 7 years, i have a good doc.

As far as your questions, well 4mgs once a day, with a busy life style and a good knowledge of obsorbtion of sub, you could be just fine. There are just to many variations in each person to give a great answer. Im sorry about that. Maybe one of our drs will show up here at the forum and answer. ..
Welcome to the forum .

Razor

Thank you so much for your response! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.
I think the DEA excuse he uses is exactly that- an excuse. I think he might be a bit sketchy which is probably why he feels the need to do such things. I'm not sure if I should actually call him out on this- I think I am going to ignore it for now.

However, I do want to try and tell him that I don't want to go down anymore yet. I doubt he will let me go back to 6mg, but hopefully I can stop him from dropping me below 4mg.

When I see him we don't talk much. This time when I see him in 3 weeks I will tell him that I just can't get used to only 4mg and that I would like to go up to 6mg, and maybe since I think he only cares about the money- maybe if I tell him I might have to find another doctor who can give more comprehensive care, that he will let me stay on my dose. Just gonna have to stand up for myself. He has a lot of power over my life with these meds so I usually don't say much to him, and he's not much of a talker either.

My doctor is only $110 a visit, once a month- so the price and the convenience were big reasons why I stay with this doctor. I think there might be 2 other sub doctors in town. One is expensive, and I don't know about the other.

I do see the benefits to dosing once a day if you can manage to not think about it.
However, I think it might just be more practical and safe to stay at one dose in the AM, and one before bed. I was just hoping one daily dose at noon would help with mid-day cravings. But 6mg would do that for sure. I'm one of those people who don't know if I want to be on it for a lot longer or not, but the 3 and half years sure did go by fast.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:43 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

hi lance
it took me over a year to get my 2 doses down to 1. but i kept tapering, usually every month.
i was cutting 2mg strips into 32 pieces!!!! (using cuticle scissors)
good luck. it just seems when you're ready, you're ready. and every addict is different.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

SisterMorphine wrote:
hi lance
it took me over a year to get my 2 doses down to 1. but i kept tapering, usually every month.
i was cutting 2mg strips into 32 pieces!!!! (using cuticle scissors)
good luck. it just seems when you're ready, you're ready. and every addict is different.

It has very little to do with "being ready". I'm not asking about tapering. I am asking about dosing once a day rather than twice a day. The dose amount would remain the same.

I just need to know if most people take one dose a day or two, and if they have gone down from two to one- when is the best time to take their dose in order for it to last all day and through the night as well.

This isn't about opinions, I am asking solid questions here about what time do you take your dose, and how many doses a day do you take, and how to go from 2mg twice daily to just 4mg a once daily.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Generally, when people get to 6 mg or less they transition to twice a day. At the dose you are presently at, 4 mg, many will take 2 mg twice a day. Sounds like you really should be back at 6 mg a day.
Regarding your provider and his DEA .....
Quote:
I would prefer to be on subs forever, but my doctor is sketchy so he feels the need to lower the dose of his clients once every 4 months or so to "avoid the DEA shutting him down", as he said to me. So that's why I was given the kpins.

That is baloney. Time to be looking for someone else that you can trust and actually work with you.
He is much less likely to get on anybody's radar if prescribing one film a day, than trying to wean and toss in a benzo to the mix.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:05 pm 

'This isn't about opinions, I am asking solid questions here about what time do you take your dose, and how many doses a day do you take, and how to go from 2mg twice daily to just 4mg a once daily.'

U may be asking solid questions but ur also going to get some opinions too. Everyone who responds is genuinely taking the time to help u though.

If u want to stop splitting ur dose, take the whole 4mg when U wake up and be done with it. Of course there are ppl who may take their dose in the afternoon, I've read on here where some prefer that. Most take the full dose in the morning and that's it. People with pain issues are recommended to dose more than once a day or if ur tapering like docm2 said. If that's not ur case and used to splitting ur dose but want to stop then u just stop and go to the whole dose all at once. There's nothing u really have to do that I know of to prepare.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Once you reduce to around 4mg, lots of people start splitting their dose from once a day to twice a day because they find they get more coverage.

If you find yourself getting midday cravings, taking a larger dose in the morning may help. Rather than getting midday cravings, you might find yourself craving more in the evenings, and getting a worse sleep. If you can put up with that, it might actually be better to experience your craving period while you're asleep. That way at least the difficult period will occur overnight so you won't be conscious during that period. The only effect might be a sleep that slightly less rejuvinating.

Unfortunately once a person gets below their required dose for craving management, there's no real way to get through your 24 hour cycle without experiencing some cravings and discomfort. It's just how it goes.

When it comes to switching to once a day dosing, the process is quite simple. Just take 4mg in the morning and forego your evening dose. Of course, the longer you can delay taking that morning dose, the better coverage you'll get in the evenings and overnight.