It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Brand Loyalty
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Just wanted to pose a question to the group as answers out there in the Googlesphere vary, and often contain the same scatological maledictions found in only the worst YouTube comments. That question is this:

Has anyone noticed a significant difference in effect or absorption between Suboxone and any other branded or generic pharmaceutical compound of the same ingredients?

Reason I ask is that my insurance will only cover me for Zubsolv, of which I'm prescribed two 5.7/1.4mg tabs daily. According to Zubsolv's website, one 5.7mg tablet is equivalent to an 8mg Suboxone strip, as Zubsolv is supposed to have better bioavailability on the whole than Suboxone. I split an 8mg strip of Suboxone today and took one half this morning, and the other in the late afternoon, but between doses I noted what felt like a stronger effect, and definitely more lasting. I took the second dose more as a schedule thing, not because I was getting the itch, as it were. I don't know that I can say the same of Zubsolv, where three full tablets a day is usually good enough to stave off the cravings that come from the high stress lifestyle I've somehow adopted. Perhaps it's that the strip doesn't eke its way out from beneath my tongue so much as the Zubsolv particulates do, or maybe the company behind Zubsolv is basing their claim apart from the release mechanism of the tablet form. I don't know. I have found some that say Zubsolv is unequivocally better, and others who absolutely hate it. Myself, I'm not as particular. But my insurance company is currently in bed with Zubsolv, so I'm not in a position to "start seeing other people" without a significant cost factor that I just can't afford.

Mostly, I'm just curious what others have found. Thanks very much in advance!

Post subject: Re: Brand Loyalty
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:44 am 

In my opinion, I think it's all got to do with individuals absorption. Some ppl don't like the tablets vs the strips and some would rather have the tablets instead of the strips. I'm used to the strips but I have tried the tablets before. The strips mostly stay in the same place and they don't move around like a tablet can. It's all the same medication but just a different form. Some ppl just do better sometimes with one vs another. That's my opinion on it. I would be ok with tablets now, I used to be convinced the only way for me was strips but I was wrong about that. Now I'd be good with whatever as long as it's buprenorphine :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm inclined to agree, and probably because I'm really only able to get tabs rather than strips while I'm with this current insurance company. I've been splitting my 5.7s with an X-Acto knife for the past week trying to stretch them, and am hoping this morning's doctor visit will result in a refill, even if it's only the usual dose, so taking 4mg at a time like I did yesterday was a bit more than normal. But if one 5.7 is equal to one 8mg strip, the half strip gave me a lot more kick than half, or even really a whole 5.7mg tab. And maybe that's all in my head, as I had other reasons to feel good. So much of this recovery/relapse game is played entirely in one's head. As always, Jennjenn, I appreciate your thoughtful input. Thank you!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello bunson,

I had to switch also to Zubsolv for the exact same reasons. My insurance, United Healthcare, would only cover Zubsolv. In my experience. I actually like it better than the Sub strips. I break it in quarters and i take a quarter twice a day.

I put the 1/4 of the pill in between the top lip not under my tongue. It seems to stay in place way longer and not get washed away by saliva.

I feel like it works the exact same as the strips ( or better ) when i do it that way. Plus i like the taste of Zubsolv so much better than the orange flavor.

Just my opinion on the matter!! Hope it works for you. With my insurance I only pay $10 for a month of zubsolv and I am so grateful that I have a job that will pay for my medication. There are so many people out there and on this forum that have to pay outright for their meds. And that can get pricey.

Give the different placement a try with the zubsolv and see what you think. I started doing this last year and i have been doing it ever since.

Good luck to you!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:20 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Raudy1975,

You and I are very much in the same boat. Probably same insurance provider--rhymes with glue fighted wealth hair? I'll have to try the upper lip thing. I've only ever placed it deep under the right side of my tongue. My doctor upped my prescription today, and went further to assuage any fears I might have had about going over my prescribed dose and my continued--or discontinued--privelege of being seen at their office when she told me to give them a call or an email or drop in if I had any problems at all. I really have a one in a million situation with this doctor. I can honestly say that my previous two Zubsolv prescribers, and absolutely my first would not have exercised such compassion. There are plenty of addicts out there who would see a bump up in prescription as more inventory for their diversion business, and because of that, there are all too many doctors who see only what they want to see when a fresh addict falls across their clipboard. I wish you all the best in your continued recovery, friend, and look forward to corresponding with you more in the future!

Bunson B.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bunson,

That is great to hear that you have such an understanding doctor. That ...truly makes all the difference. I too, have a Doc that is cool with me staying on this med for as long as I need and at a reasonable dose. More than likely I will be on this life saving medication the rest of my life. I just don't see myself getting off Zubsolv.
I feel like I am a different person on the meds. I have zero cravings and don't want to mess up a good thing and taper off.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:53 am 

United Healthcare and Zubsolv here as well!

I actually prefer Zubsolv to Suboxone, but if/when I want to taper the strips will be more convenient.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:42 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I don’t plan on coming down off of it soon, or any time at all. I’m in complete agreement with Raudy1975, in that this is the only thing that makes me functional as a human being. I know that sounds hopelessly dependent, that I have traded one addiction for another, and while that is probably true, this one comes with compassionate care, and isn’t going to kill me. If I do taper though, I agree that strips would make that easier. I carry an X-Acto knife, in lieu of a pill cutter, for slicing tablets in half, but it’s a clumsy, crumbly affair. Strips make it much easier to meter out a smaller dose.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Bunson!

I used to feel that i was trading one habit for another. Especially in the beginning of taking Bup.

But I feel differently now. I feel like I traded one BAD habit for a POSITIVE "treatment" plan. Example: Like quitting smoking for joining a gym and walking the treadmill everyday. You see... During active addiction. Our lives revolved around getting more opiates, stealing lying or worse, where as now we are visiting a doctor every month. Seeking counseling or a recovery plan and taking a medication that is used to Treat our addiction and block out cravings. I hope that makes you feel a little better about staying on this Medication for however long you choose.

Maybe I am a glass half full person . But I can honestly say that since I swapped one bad habit for this treatment , I am a better person , a responsible person and a better parent and friend.

I know that you are still in the early stages of this medication, but you seem to be doing fantastic and adjusting well!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:02 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks very much, Raudy!

I don’t feel too badly about the Zubsolv, though I do nurse a secret fear that I’ll lose my job, my insurance and then spiral downward into alcoholism and illicit substance abuse as a result of losing access to this miraculous drug. In that, it still sometimes feels like a secondary addiction that doesn’t have Death on its bus route. All the same, I like your analogy. Ultimately, it comes down to perception and what I’m doing beyond the medication to get myself back on track. Leaving recovery solely in the hands of a drug is no different from when I used to bin my anxieties in a heaping handful of lovely little norco tablets. I’m trying to make a concerted effort to be more proactive about posting here, as my schedule is too busy at present to incorporate much in the way of new friendships or meetings. I currently work full time, am enrolled in graduate school and have a fourteen month old at home, so spare time isn’t something I’m currently on speaking terms with. Thank you very much for your optimism and encouraging words. I know myself to be something of a cynic, but can appreciate positivity when it crosses my path.

B. Byrner