It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:32 pm 

I want to post some information given to us by our resident physician who owns this site. Print it out or try to relay the information to your doctor. This will be a Sticky so it will stay up top of the topic heading.

suboxdoc
Post subject: Re: SurgeryPostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:09 pm
Site Admin

Here are the guidelines I give to surgeons who will be treating my patients: http://suboxonetalkzone.com/surgery.pdf

And here is a blog post about the same: http://suboxonetalkzone.com/post-op-pain-on-suboxone/

If you go to http://www.suboxsearch.com , you can search either this blog or my forum for information. Just search either, at that site, for 'surgery' or 'post-op pain' or related keywords.

If nothing else, you can print the things you find and give them to your surgeon. Most docs out there refuse to learn about buprenorphine-- so patients need to play an active role in protecting themselves.

And another good one from the TalkZone:

http://suboxonetalkzone.com/category/acute-pain

Rule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:16 am 

Thanks for providing this info, Rule!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi,

I just want to add this. When I woke up from my surgery to remove 2 tumors, I was in horrible pain. The person that was taking care of me in the recovery room didn't seem to pay attention to me and I was trying to tell her that I needed additional medication because I was on Suboxone for 7 years, 8mg daily. I knew things were bad when I said, "I'm on Suboxone and she said "Soo, what?" I asked for a doctor like "NOW" The doctor came and I managed to say "Suboxone, MU receptor" Thank God, he knew and immediately ordered more pain meds and a pump for 24 hours.

There are still medical professionals that don't know about Suboxone. We have to keep fighting. When I was back in my room and the pain was managed, I spoke to my surgeon about how there has to be more knowledge about Suboxone. He listened. Let's all keep making them aware every chance we get.

My love to all,
Queenie

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:31 am 

Thanks for posting the update Queenie. It is sad and also scary that we have professional medical staff still not aware of Buprenorphine's properties and how it affects our tolerance. We all have to be our own advocate for pain treatment now, just like you did. Good thing you told your doctor about the issue. Maybe one more person will be educated about it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:09 pm 

Queenie, this is very true! I had a minor procedure and woke up in post op in a lot of pain. I had spoken with the surgeon and the anesthesiologist. My mistake was not speaking with the nursing staff in post op. I just remember continually saying "It hurts". When I was given the proper amount of medication I got up from the bed, put on my clothes and walked around just fine! (I couldn't find my husband after that to take me home, but that's a story for another day! Lol)

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amy, I sympathize. Isn't that post-op pain the most horrible? The recovery room staff should be the first ones to know about pain management and Suboxone. However..... :roll:

Hi Rule, We have to educate the medical field as much as we can. When I find a doctor that knows about Suboxone, it feels so comforting but I get so angry and upset when a doctor says, "What is that?" or "Huh?" So we have to teach them any chance we get. I have an appt. with my Sub doctor next week and I'm going to suggest, that since all my doctors are affiliated, perhaps he can send a little newsletter on the subject. Hey, anything helps.

Hugs and more hugs,
Queenie