It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Veterans Administation
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everybody, I am new here but I have been following some of the threads this last week. I have been clean for 18 months thanks to Suboxone. I am on 32 mg a day. I am a veteran and became an addict when I returned home. I almost lost everything but luckily got admited into the VA inpatient substance abuse program. Best place ever, My Dr. really cared and has been with me every step of the way. He sees me every month and completely understands the disease of addiction. I am lucky because I get my Suboxone free from the VA. I really think this is a miracle drug and I think the VA does it right. Anyone else here go through the VA program?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:55 pm 
Thats great to hear congratulations. Its to bad there aren't more programs out there that allow for addicts who are struggling with money issues to get free suboxone. Every addict who wants to get better deserves a chance with suboxone and yet they only allow a select few. I just found out I may get accepted to the patient assistance program run by the makers of suboxone so i can get my meds for a year for free so that is going to help my life so much. Ive been on it since july and havent used opiates aside from one relapse since then. I have my good days and bad days with sub but without it i doubt I could of came this far and being able to know I can stay on it for another year more is going to be a load off my shoulders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I really hope with all that I am you get on the program and get your Suboxone for free. I feel absolutely sick when I think about the cost most have to pay for this medication.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:04 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Paratrooper,
Welcome to the Forum and Thank You for your Service to this Country. It's because of people like you that I am able to sit here in my office and Surf the Web without fear of our Enemies knocking on my door. Thank You for fighting for my Family's Freedom I am Forever grateful!!! Now about your Recovery. I think it's great that you are able to get your Meds from the VA it's only right. Congrats on starting your road to Recovery. I have been on Suboxone for just a little longer than you (2 years Feb. 2, 2011) and I also think this Drug saved my life!! Well I just wanted to Welcome you and Thank You for your Service to our Country. THANK YOU!!!

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Twinply, Thank you very much for that it is always great to feel appreciated. I wish more people had your attitude. I am going to college and I end up bumping heads with professors every now and then about their views on soldiers or veterans. Your post really made my day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:58 pm 
Just curious (you dont have to answer if you arent comfortable) did you sustain an injury while you were serving and got on opiates for pain or did you use them to numb emotional pain from having to be under so much stress while serving, I cant imagine some of the things you may have seen or gone through it must cause a person to endure lots of anxiety or PTSD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I did not get injured during my deployments thank God. I have been diagnosed with PTSD but I did not starting using for that either. I got back and within a month I was introduced to hydrocodone. I was getting ready to mow my yard and was just unmotivated to get started. One of my buddies was at my house and he said take a couple of these and you will mow your ass off! He was right I mowed my yard and had the time of my life doing it. lol. After that I would hit him up for his script until he ran out. It was then I became a Dr. Shopper. I must have hit every ER in Iowa. It got so bad I had to score some type of opiate everyday to avoid becoming sick. I was not opposed to stealing friends scripts when I got the chance. I overdosed one evening when my fiance left me because of my addiction. When I woke up I was in the VA hospital. They would not allow me to leave because they were concerned about the suicide rate of addicted PTSD Veterans. The medically detoxed me for a week; it was hell even though I was in a hospital setting and I mean pure hell. I was yelling at the Dr.s and nurses and cussing out other vets coming to my room telling me I was going to be okay. And then a new Dr. appeared in my room. He told me that since I was now in full blown withdrawal he was going to prescribe me a medicine that he considers a miracle drug and the only stipulation was that I commit myself to the VA inpatient program. It was funny because 15 minutes after my first dose I was a new person. I completed treatment, am still on Sub, and am currently pursuing my degree in Psychology/Criminology. I am so thankful for this medication and I plan on staying on it for life.

Post subject: VA saved my life
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Paratrooper-
I am 100% service connected(PTSD) and receive Suboxone from the VA in NJ. I am in the fee basis program, so I get to see a civilian doctor who lives closer to me and the VA pays for my treatment. I have been on Suboxone since August 2006 and plan to stay on it for the rest of my life. I go to school through Vocational Rehab and will have and AAS in Human Services/Addiction Studies in May. Then I plan on going to Rutgers for the BSW program. Suboxone has given me my life back. I tried rehab after rehab to stop my heroin addiction and would always go back because of the cravings and obsession to use. Suboxone has helped me to stay focused on my goals and the fact that I don't obsess about opiates is a friggin miracle!!!!! The VA inpatient, psych/detox, and DOM all played a part in me getting my life back. I never was serious about sobriety because I never knew there was a medication that could help. I tried Methadone, but just abused it and smoked crack instead. But, w\ Suboxone the ceiling effect kicks in and I don't need more to feel better.
I wish you luck and we are very blessed to have the VA. My goal is to get my LCSW and work at the VA as a substance abuse counselor.
We're all in this together!!
Good Luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Heather1980,

I am so glad you have defeated your addiction! We have a lot in common it seems like. I have to drive 75 miles every month to see my Dr. It sucks but the VA is actually the closest prescriber of Suboxone where I live. Awesome Dr. though, amazing. I am you are in school.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:28 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

hi I'm a nam vet and when I came back I had a very bad experience with the va ,they wouldn't even take care of my jungle rot I ended up on a methadone program run by n.y.c. till i got off by myself in 1989 turned into a workaholic and doing about 500 push-ups threw the day 30lbs pull downs for 3/4 hr built 4 4x8 gardens with 5 gallon buckets caring them though the swamps had to kill two water moccasins did this for two years and never really grew anything (took to long,no patients)surfed overhead waves but never learned to swim (fear of water showers only) I was the happiest man in the world. then I retired knees went couldn't run ligaments in my shoulders ripped leaving bumps . skin flare ups ,panic attacks throat would lock up to the point that I would some times pass out (the ultimate water boarding) this I believe was due to the fact that I spent hrs in the battery recharge tent for our choppers. caught some shrapnel in the hand but didn't think it was enough to claim a purple heart (mistake) when the other guy who did the night flights to replace batteries cracked up and couldn't sleep for a week and was transferred I took all the honors of hot L.Z's. went to the va last week and they wanted to treat me for alcoholic or substance abuse . they said they wanted to dry me out. I haven't taken any drugs or alcohol in 25 years working for a co. that piss tests you and having a cdl license. does anyone here thinks that I can be any drier without dieing of dehydration . fuck the va they are motherfucking scumbags that never had to turn in and start to go down in to a hot lz that was the scary part . I have to give credit to the warrant officers I don't know if I could turn that chopper. sitting in the gunners chair with a battery under my legs was horrible till we landed then I was just going my job no matter what wizzed by. no one ever talks about those warrent officers even now the key board is all blrry have to stop