It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am terrified of withdrawal. Could someone tell me what happens when I am supposed to get off of the subs. My doctor retired after my being his patient 16 years. The first of next month I was assigned a new doctor. I hope this doctor doesn't have different views or methods. Some talk of having some meds to feel better during w/d. Did the same doctor that gave them subs, give them those meds to feel better? It's just that w/d is so terrible that I have enough subs for the month and I am still terrified of the future. I will discuss this with the new doctor. But I can't until I meet him. Can someone help me with this? love queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As I understand it, the best chance of getting off bupe with minimal effects would be to do a long, slow, low taper - over a period of several months. Some have done this quite painlessly. Everyone is different though. I will be on sub for a very long time, so I try not to concern myself with the "whens" and the "what-ifs". I could worry and focus on many future concerns, but I'd rather enjoy today. Just my perspective.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:23 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

If you think there is a possibility that your new doc may not prescribe you subs, then you need to get on a sub website and look up sub dr's in your area and make an appt with one ASAP!!! I wouldn't wait on this. It can take a while to get in.

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with Laura. No time to waste. From what you have written on this site I am thinking you aren't ready to get off it yet. That would be a nightmare.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject: w/d worries
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Queenie,

I'm new to the site, and like you have worried a great deal about withdrawal. While it sounds like you may be staying on Suboxone I can relate to your concern- I think everyone worries about what might happen if they "had" to cease the medication (as I did).

If it's any consolation, I am currently in day #7 of withdrawal from Suboxone. I received my "comfort" meds from my pcp. While it hasn't been a walk in the park for me, my experience has been exactly what I read on the Suboxone site- I have been experiencing "Withdrawal of the opioid type, far milder than that of a full-agonist".

Best wishes with your new doctor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My sub doctor has prescribed me confort meds for tapering. I can only image he will do so once I'm fully off. That's when I'll need em the most.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My addiction has put me in many situations. One of the worst is doing things & going places when I can't even get out of bed. There's always going to be a doctor appointment, a family function or just plain joining my family in the backyard for a bbq. How many excuses can you come up with. I am tired of living like this. Everyone is out & about doing something & I am in my room counting pills. This is not a life. It's a prison. I am beginning to feel very depressed and the more I do the more I want to take something. I retired 3 years ago and got big amount of money. I worked there 21 years. I was so mellow & happy on pills(from RX. I never bought any) that I went on massive shopping sprees. I made improvements on the house. I went wild. I have no money left. That depresses me. When I think about it I get sad. I also have the stress because I have raised and cared for my brain damaged daughter for 45 yrs. Very stressful. I am an amputee, It goes on & on. Anybody that can write me a few lines, it would be appreciated from the bottom of my heart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Queenie I'm not sure I understand your post entirely. It sounds like there are things to be done but you are depressed and staying in your room counting pills instead. It also sounds like you used opiates before to avoid feeling like this. I would definitely suggest therapy and addressing the depression. You certainly sound depressed. I would focus on that and exercise, even if you are making yourself do it. It is difficult because I know that feeling where you really can't MAKE yourself do things but I am also not certain if you are in that place or choosing not to do things. Only you know. If you can make yourself get up then you need to try and do that. If I was staying in my room all day I would be obsessed about pills too. I would be bored and would want to sleep. You may want to try reading some good books. Books can keep my mind occupied for hours. That and house projects.

I am not sure this is really all that helpful.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:33 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Queenie, it's nice to see you here; I am also semi-new to this site, and have found it to be invaluable in my recovery. You will find so much support here, and I hope that we can all help you through this. I would be very happy to try to help.

Wow, I have read your introduction post, and the posts that you have made after that, and you have been through so much. I think that you are doing wonderfully given your circumstances, and all that you have been through in your life, and that you should be very, very proud of yourself right now.

I am so sorry that you feel depressed:( I, too have experienced a lot of depression in my life, and I struggle with it almost daily. I know how dark and unrelenting depression can be, and no one deserves that, least of all you. You are a good person who has had to put up with/ go through so much. It's no wonder that you have depressive episodes. I am so sorry that you have to feel this way, and I hope that there is something, anything, that can be done to alleviate the hell that you are going through.

I know that it's very hard to think positively when depression is weighing you down to the point where you have no motivation to even do every day things. Are you seeing a counselor? If not, have you thought about it? I don't know where you live, or if money is an issue, but in my state there are many options for a financially unstable person to seek help for mental disorders; a lot of them operating on a sliding income scale and will work with you on the cost to make it manageable for you. You do NOT have to feel this way; there is help out there for you. Why feel so terrible if you don't have to? Sure, therapy takes time and effort, but in the end, it will be worth it. Struggling with depression is such a trial; it's even more trying to have to do it alone, and you don't need that added stress. Please think about talking to a professional.

That being said, you are a strong person, you are a good person, and you are not giving yourself enough credit for the choices you have made to better your life. You should be damn proud of yourself right now.

As far as the Suboxone, well, if your new doctor is a jerk that wants to force you off of it, then find a new one:) It's really easy to find someone else. You don't have to stick with a doctor that goes against the things that you believe to be the best for yourself. You know what you need; sometimes even doctors know less about what their patients need than their own patients know. Don't let that authoritative 'doctor' label fool you; sometimes they can be just as ignorant as any random person on the street is. You don't have to do ANYTHING that you don't want to do. At all. If you think Suboxone is a necessary tool in your recovery, then you don't have to allow it to be taken from you. This is your life, your choice. Don't forget that.

Also, if you do decide with 100% certainty that you are ready to taper your meds, then there are many threads here that illustrate effect methods of doing so with very little discomfort. It has, and can be done, like others said, with a long and slow taper. If done correctly, you will not feel much in the way of withdrawal. If you just listen to your body, and act accordingly, then the taper should go fairly smoothly. Don't worry about that now. You have enough on your plate. Focus on your recovery. You deserve to take a break from mental distress; do so.

If you find yourself feeling lazy and unmotivated, then maybe your dose of Sub may be a bit high? Of course I am not a doctor, and lowering your dose would be something that you and your doctor should decide to do together. In my experience, however, all the negative side effects of the medication have diminished since I have lowered my dose. I started at around 12-16mg and was always lazy and unmotivated. Once I got down to around 8mg, I felt a bit better. At around 6mg I was almost totally normal again. At 3mg I felt awesome; even had extra energy. I did start to feel a bit 'icky' for a few days tapering from 3 to 2 mg, but after a week I was 100% again:) I am not saying to taper that low at all because ideally you should be above the ceiling dose, but perhaps just lowering your dose by 2 or 3 mg could make a huge difference. Talk with your new doctor about that, if you think it might help you:) Again, if your new doctor wants you to do things that you are uncomfortable with, then voice your discomfort and see if that doctor truly does want what is best for you. If they do not, then dump them and find someone who does.

Sorry for the enormous post.
If you can't read all of that, then here's a summary: You are doing an AWESOME job that you aren't giving yourself enough credit for, depression sucks, but you CAN get help for it, and you should be very, very proud of yourself for the things that you have accomplished. I hope you feel better, and if there's anything that I can do for you, PM me, even if you just need to vent. We are all here for you, and are all rooting for you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have read your post to me over & over and I cry every time. What beautiful words! You are pure heaven. You will be blessed a hundred times over for all you said to me. I have met more people here since your post, buy it does it every time for me. God bless you, Melsie Love & hope, queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:07 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you, queenie, I really appreciate all the nice things that you've said to me:) You are a really good person.

How are you doing? Have you been feeling any better? I am really glad to see that you're still here with us, and that you are still in treatment! How was your new doctor? I hope he wants what is best for you, and truly takes your needs into consideration. Keep us all updated, and hang in there if you are still feeling down- you are doing such a good job- try not to get hung up on the bad things. Focus on all of the good things you have done for yourself and other people.

Post subject: Hi sweet angel
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, I got some sleep. I just took my morning 8mg. But my new dr. has to call me to see if I can get an rx, Tomorrow is my refill date. I have to find someone that will lend me some money to get to & from the dr and the copay for the subs. I come into funds Thursday. I know the good Lord will get me through this. Melsie, you are angel sent from above. I don't know if you realize how soothing your words are. Thank yo so much. Have a good day. Or at least a comfortable one. We will win. Love, Queenie