It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: very scared and sad
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Friday morning my psychiatrist suddently died. I've been a mess. Been seeing Dr D for close to twenty years. He was probably one of the most compassionate and kind people I've had the pleasure have known. I feel like I've lost my bestfriend. He was treating me for my dilaudid addiction. He was prescribing me 8 mg suboxones for close to six years. Now I have to find another psychiatrist. Anyone know of a good one in Delaware. I live close to Rehoboth Beach. I'm even willing to drive to Virginia (as that was were Dr D practiced). I went to a clinic yesterday and they told me it would cost $350 to even speak with a doctor. After the initial, it would be $110 each visit. I simply can't do that. Dr D hardly ever charged me. He truly cared for his patients and not the $$. I now have about a weeks worth of subs to get me by. His assistant said "the board" he was certified with could probably give me one refill. I really don't know what to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am very sorry for your loss. This must be very difficult for you right now. I don't know what the secretary is talking about when she says the "board" could prescribe and I wouldn't count on that. Unfortunately, $350 is very common for the first appointment. But there are places that are less expensive. You can try going to www.sboxone-directory.com and look up your area. You are just going to have to start calling around until you find someone. I would tell them that you have been on sub and your psychiatrist passed away and you only have a week of sub remaining so you are hoping to get in somewere soon. If you don't tell them this information and maybe ask for an exception the waiting lists will be too long. You may even have to go so far with some of the receptionists to ask them if they would please just ask the doctor for you because you don't know what else to do.

I do know that your doctor or the ER can give you 3 days worth of suboxone without being licensed for it. So if worse comes to work you can try that.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss. I hope we can support you through this until you are in a better place.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Cherie. You are very kind and I really appreciate the advice. I feel very lucky to have found this site. The thing is, I take only one 8 mg sub every two/three days. I break up the pill so they will last. I'm so scared that if I run out I will be back on the street. I have looked in my area for doctors but since it is the weekend... I still can't belive this has happened. I keep asking myself, "why Dr D?" He was only in his early fifties. I don't know what happened but I'm guessing it was a heart attack. I think his assistant is still in shock and I really feel for her too. She's worked with him since he started his clinic.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree with Jackcrack - do what you can to find a new doctor. In addition to the directory she gave you, there's also NAABT.org, samhsa.gov, and suboxone.com. I got my doctor that way and he ended up being my primary care doc. Like was suggested, tell them your situation and hopefully someone will help you out.

Lastly, I'm so sorry for you loss and what it means to you on many levels. I know it's difficult. I can't imagine how you must be feeling now. Please hang in there and I really hope you can find a new doctor soon. Please keep us posted.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you hatmaker!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh wow. Just wanted to say I am so sorry you are going through this, it must be unreal. Dilaudid was also my drug of choice. I would definately take the advice already given and stress to whoever you talk to that you have been on sub for 6 years...

Good luck, hang in there!

gb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sure you figured this out but I spelled the directory wrong and it is www.suboxone-directory.com

Typing too fast this morning.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That is so tragic, and I'm sorry for your loss. I know you you were already going through a difficult time, which makes it even harder. I am thinking that since he was a psychiatrist and probably has a lot of people on meds that can't be stopped suddenly, that maybe one of his collegues (whoever covered for him when he was away) will be able to provide a refill until people find another doc. I hope so. Hang in there - and please don't leave the forum now, you really need the support.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks to all! Wow, I'm getting more support here than I am with my husband. You guys rock! I've been busy all morning writing down numbers the lists kindly provided above. I'm not really sure about the stand-by doctor for Dr D. His assistant didn't mention and when I asked she told me she could "probably" get me a refill through the board he was registered with? but I haven't heard back, which is a nail-biting experience. He was also prescribing me diazepam and Prozac, which I'm really not too worried about except I'm almost certain that when and if I find a doctor, he/she won't prescribe both at the same time. I've been seeing Dr D for close to twenty years and for the last six he's been prescribing me the subs. He was so cool about it. I moved to Delaware 2004 and he would ask to see me only twice a year and didn't charge me for the office visit. Over the holidays I couldn't make it due to car trouble and he sent me a prescription in the mail! I can't see another doctor doing that. The pharmacist gave me more trouble than Dr D.

Anyway, back to the hunt. Thanks so much to all of you and I will keep you informed about my progress. I feel I can't quit just right now as I'm going through some other personal issues. All this seems so dramatic but well, I guess, it is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sure you know this but just in case: Suddenly stopping diazepam can cause withdrawal. Severe withdrawal from it (benzos) could be fatal and that is the reason I'm posting this. If you only take once and a while for panic attacks, you should be fine. I don't mean to scare you and again, good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

glen bee wrote:
I'm sure you know this but just in case: Suddenly stopping diazepam can cause withdrawal. Severe withdrawal from it (benzos) could be fatal and that is the reason I'm posting this. If you only take once and a while for panic attacks, you should be fine. I don't mean to scare you and again, good luck

I do know about withdrawal from valium, although I haven't experienced it (yet). I've been taking 10 mg a day for close to twenty-five years. I not yet worried about getting a new script from my primary.

I have found a "Medical Aid" clinic just around the corner. I had to pay $350 for the induction although I guess it's worth it for the peace of mind. Now I have to go back every month for my prescription which is $110 out of pocket. I told the doctor that I don't take that much, only 2 to 4 mg a day since it is so expensive. He seems to be a good guy but when I told him I sometimes break up the pill and take a dose in the middle of the day I was indulging in "bad drug behavior." I believe that how one takes the drug is a personal issue, as long as it is controlled and doesn't go outside the boundaries. He prescribed me four 8 mg sublinguals which will last me more than seven days. He will prescribe another months worth on Monday. I asked the nurse if I had to come in every 30 days... maybe every 45 days, and she said I'd have to take it up with the doctor. I only asked because I know the prescription will last me more than 30 days. I'm hoping he will agree to it.

What I'm afraid of is how long this doctor will keep me on. I don't see myself quitting anytime soon. I live in a neighborhood where within .5 radius there are at least three people I know of who try to sell me their oxys, vicodins, percs etc. and are always asking me for my suboxone. I keep telling (one guy in particular) that the subs do not get you high! (leave me alone!). Anyhow, what I think I need to do is find a good psychiatrist.

Another issue is my anger. I have received news that Dr D's funeral is closed only to family and they won't even give out the location of the grave site. I do understand about the closed funeral, but the grave site? I think his assistant will eventually give me the location but I still think it is unfair that his family would withhold that info from his patients. I even went so far as asking for a simple photo of him and she said she will try and get something at the service. Anger, sadness, guilt... I had no idea he had such an affect on my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so sorry to hear the family won't allow you to be a part of the formal services. Maybe they're just thinking that with all his patients they would be inundated with people. But it does probably make you feel excluded. I would feel the same way. If something happened to my therapist of 6 years, I would definitely want to be a part of the funeral. But I guess we can't control such things.

When it comes to dosing, it is generally accepted that dosing once per day is preferable (unless taking it for pain control). It's to get us out of the habit of taking a pill when we feel we need something. It's a matter of breaking old habits and learning to live life on life's terms, as they say. We have to learn to cope with everyday ups and downs on our own without popping a pill. I would say based on my very obvious limited information, that your doctor wants to really help you in your overall recovery more than just writing a monthly script. That's pretty rare in sub doctors. But that's just my take.

Thanks for the update.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I believe you may have worded what you were trying to explain to your new doctors. You must say you are already taking suboxone and are just looking for a new doctor or they will do the $500 first 3 visit thing everytime.

of you explain your not new or returning from a relapse you should get the same price of a standard visit, with my insurance it costs about $10/visit. (i know this is not ordinare and that im blessed to have good insurance, its bluie cross blue sheild)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:45 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

sway wrote:
glen bee wrote:
Another issue is my anger. I have received news that Dr D's funeral is closed only to family and they won't even give out the location of the grave site. I do understand about the closed funeral, but the grave site? I think his assistant will eventually give me the location but I still think it is unfair that his family would withhold that info from his patients. I even went so far as asking for a simple photo of him and she said she will try and get something at the service. Anger, sadness, guilt... I had no idea he had such an affect on my life.

My Mouth fell open when I saw your post. I have the same kind of Doc...never charges me....brilliant...I adore him....20 years...I am so incredibly sorry that this happened to you and imagine how abandoned you must feel. I will let the others closer to you geographiocally help with Docs, but I just wanted to say as far as not being able to get the info you are wanting...and this is ONLY my opinion...you didn't say *how* he had passed or what the circumstances were but I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that the family might not have been up for 'dealing with' patients who are maybe not as much of a friend as you had become. Can you hear what I'm *not* saying? Maybe you just (as my good friend likes to say) dont have enough information, you know? I am sure that within a few weeks and thanks to the internet, a few mouseclicks will get to to where you want to go. Perhaps in a few weeks you could send the family a note; was there anything in the paper? I am just so shocked FOR you! One thing that *might* help is, what would HE tell you to do? You just broke my heart tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm really sorry for your loss. I don't really have much else to offer.