It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Very Odd thing???
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I went for my first meeting today with the Dr. While he was very nice, he didn't really chat with me at all about my situation?. He just drew blood, I gave a urine sample he told me to get my script filled and told me to wait until I started to have WD symptoms. Once they started, I was to take 1 pill, wait an hour or so and see how I feel. If I still feel bad, take another one?.

Thank God I read up on this stuff before I went in, otherwise I would have been clueless as to how this whole thing works. It says in EVERYTHING I have read that my first dose should be taken in the DR's office under his care?. I really feel like cattle in a chute?. He never mentioned me seeing a counselor or anything?. This all seems to be wrong, really wrong?.

Heck, when I called the 1-800 # on the website, they told me someone would call me and chat with me, almost like a personal help thing?. Well, that never happened either?. I am really thinking I just made a really bad move?. Don't get me wrong, taking the first step in my situation is a big deal and I know I have to do it, it just seems as though a lot of promises were made, and none of them were kept?. :roll:

Post subject: reply
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the site. I am very sorry you had this happen to you.It seems to be a trend these days and the doctors doing it should be embarrassed. I know it is more common to hear the bad than the good, but when it comes to drug replacement therapy, we should be getting the best treatment possible. I am going to look into what could be done ,if anything about doctors that are not following the guidelines for prescribing Buprenorphine.
Handing someone a prescription and booting them out of your office is not what Suboxone was created for, but in my opinion- get as much education and support as possible from other reliable sources.I will post some links here for you of places that will be helpful.Also, if you have any questions or need any support- post here.We do care!

National Association of Advocates for Buprenorphine Treatment

Addiction Survivors/Buprenorphine Support

Medication Assisted Treatment Information Board

Post subject: thanks!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the links!. I was very surprised at what happened yesterday?. I really thought it would be different. Oh well?, I know enough about what I need to do in order for me to make this work, so I will, with or without the DR's help. :wink:

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:01 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Superdog, did you start?

Sound's like your Doc was wack. Give it a chance, it has really helped me over the last 7 months

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

rationale wrote:
Superdog, did you start?

Yeppers!. I started last week Friday, so I have been on it for like 6 days now, and so far, so good. I feel great and it seems like I have my life back?. I mean, sometimes I get the "blahs" where I don't feel like doing anything, but for the most part, I seem to have a lot more energy. :?

rationale wrote:
Sound's like your Doc was wack. Give it a chance, it has really helped me over the last 7 months

Don't worry, I will!. I had to do something, and do it fast, as my life was unraveling around me. :( :(

I feel like a normal person again and things are getting done. My wife is ecstatic, as she says I am back to my old self again, so if nothing else, I am making her smile and that is something she hasn't done in probably 2 years. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'll apologize for the medical profession. The bad news is all of medicine has become that way- a few minutes to quickly say as much as you can. I get patients from other psychiatrists and hear about the seven minute appointments; for psychiatry I think that is particularly a waste of time.

Your experience is the reason behind this forum, especially since at other forums people on Suboxone were treated like the plague. One thing-- you mentioned 'the blahs'-- read my posts elsewhere tonight on one of the threads about stopping Suboxone. I want to point out that everyone has the blahs, suboxone or not. People with addiction histories tend to have LOTS of the blahs. I talked about some of the reasons for that-- you have been through something where you were 'owned' by a chemical, maybe for years. If a person is help captive or incarcerated for several years, would you expect the person to ever fully recover from the experience? 'Recovery' is the process to heal, or at least learn to live with our scars from active addiction. They never go away completely, not for the cocaine or alcohol addicts in recovery or opiate addicts in recovery who never touched Suboxone. I am convinced that Suboxone is not behind the complaints people have while taking it-- feeling bored, or depressed, or lonely, or blah, or tired, or stressed, or anxious-- all of that is normal life. I see plenty of people for those same complaints who never had addictions. Consider the thought that at least by a few months, you are feeling YOU-- not the effects of Suboxone. Being happy every day is a fantasy for everyone, but I don't meet many people not on sitcoms who live that way.

Take care, and keep looking for support in the right places. And stay afraid of addiction. Suboxone does NOT work for everyone; some people still get cocky about being 'cured' and go right back again. The main thing your doc should have said is that you have a potentially fatal disease, and it will take vigilance on your part for the rest of your life to avoid letting it destroy you. That is the main message of first appointments with me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just want everyone to know that I appreciate all of your help and positive thoughts. So far, so good. It has been a month now and all is well. :wink:

Thanks also to Doc. for answering too!. I must say the "blahs" that I had early on are gone. I now just feel like a normal person. I had forgotten what it was like to have a normal day?. I mean, just having a thought process that didn't revolve around looking forward to my next dose of opiates, OR, where I was going to <I>GET</I> my next dose is a relief I can't even describe. There were days that it would completely consume my entire day, especially when I was down to a few oxys or Percs. and I knew the zero hour was soon approaching.

Heck, other than getting up in the AM and taking that 20 minutes to get the pill dissolved, I sometimes forget that I ever had an issue. It is even to the point now that I have already gotten up, made my coffee and started my drive to work when I realized I had forgotten to take my meds. On the days I did this, I would just come home and take it at lunch because it was no big deal to wait until then. With Oxys., I would have <B>NEVER</B> been able to do this, as I would have never gotten a decent nights sleep because I would have been up twice during the night taking some just to keep from getting restless.

Anyway, I still am not seeing a counselor and my Dr. (While very nice) still hasn't really said a lot other than asking me if everything is going OK. When I told him my wife send her thanks for putting me on this, he just smiled and said "No problem!, just thank God that he had it to prescribe and I am very happy for you!".

Thanks to this website (And what I read on some of the others), I know what I have to do and will continue on the right track. Heck, just yesterday I was helping a friend clean out his deceased Grandmothers house. I went into the bathroom and on the shelf was a junkies dream!!. There were Percs, Vicoden and Fentanyl patches all laying there. I just smiled, grabbed them all and tossed them into the trash bag. 31 days ago, I would have jumped up and down rejoicing in my great find, stuffing them all into my pockets or another bag and stashing them in my truck when he wasn't looking. There was enough opiates there to keep me in business for a few weeks and I could just throw them out without even thinking twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:19 am 
Hey dog! Had to grin when I read your post! A cabinet full of the good stuff and the owner deceased!! And you didn't stuff your pockets, shoes, socks full?!! That is amazing! Who says Suboxone's not a miracle pill??!! That is a freakin miracle!!
Seriously - glad you are doing well and getting your life back on track. I agree with you about that "blahs" thing - it's just life. We forgot what life felt like while we were taking a steady stream of opiates. Feeling the normal ups and downs of life again takes some getting used to.
Keep taking care of yourself and thanks for the good story!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

SuperDog-

Glad you had the will power to not use those drugs you found.When they are staring you in the eye, it becomes a battle of wills and you won.Good for you. However- I would not be ME if I did not tell you I think you should try to get in with an addiction counselor ASAP. Even if you take advantage of online meetings for support, you are aiding your recovery. There may come a day when your will power i not at it's best, it would be good to learn ways to cope better or have support from a group of individuals who understand how it feels.
Research has proven that the more tools a person in recovery has, better the chance of sustaining long term recovery.
If you need help locating services online, I would be happy to help you out. Take Care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry I haven't gotten a chance to get a post in sooner and welcome you to our community. Reading your description of when you first started on Suboxone brought back many wonderful memories of the first several months where I was just so blown away by the fact that I felt like a halfway freaking normal human being!!! Using dope is absolutely exhausting! All the work of always trying to find more or find money to get more, I couldn't even get high anymore not that I could have even taken the time to enjoy it since I was so busy figuring out who I was going to steal from to not get dope sick.... There was such an incredible contrast between using and starting Suboxone there were so many days that I walked around with a huge smile on my face I felt so free!

I'm glad you've been able to have a relatively good experience in spite of your doctor's lack of instructions. I'd like to reccomend that you check out Dr. Junigs videos on youtube.com he's got quite a few that explain some of the goals of Suboxone maintenance/treatment (as he sees them of course) and even gives detailed explanations on how Suboxone (buprenorphine) works. Considering the fact that your doctor has apparently neglected to talk with you about any of the questions you might have it might be a good idea I know the videos answered several questions I had that I hadn't gotten the chance to talk to my doc about. Just search Suboxdoc and it should bring a sizable list of vids hope you get something out of them :)

Keep up the good work and as Shelwoy has mentioned it was important for me to find some form of recovery group/counseling even while I felt taking the Suboxone was enough for me to be "recovered" it's really helped having other addicts to talk to and learn to start thinking about life differently. I do think that not having to use anymore really brought about many positive changes in and of itself but being able to have others to talk to and having a new, drug free perspective on life has been invaluable.

Take care,
Matt