It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:27 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi all,

I understand most of us are not doctors, but I need advice.

I have been using 30-60mg of oxycodone, ingested, per day, in the form of Roxicet or Percocet, for about 3 months. During this period, there have been periods of several weeks where I did not use and I was incredibly lethargic, feeling serious depression and moderate malaise. Getting out of bed was almost impossible, my 75 degree apartment felt freezing and it was only a matter of time where I would get my hands on some more. After being on this dose for about 5-6 weeks straight, I needed a change. As I am currently studying to become a healthcare professional, I did not feel comfortable disclosing this information to my psychiatrist as I do not want Suboxone to appear on my medical history/PMP history.

In short, I am waiting to obtain some Suboxone on my own and I am wondering what a safe, sensible dose would be. 1/4 strip? 1/8 strip? I will find out the dosage amount soon.

Most importantly I currently take:

300 mg Wellbutrin
20mg Celexa
1 mg Alprazolam (Xanax) at bedtime

I know I have to be extremely careful about combining the xanax with the Suboxone, but I believe that if the dosages are separated by 10-12 hours, I may be able to take .25mg - .50mg of xanax safely.

Please let me hear some opinions.

Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

man, man, man.....

Your BEST chance at stopping opioids, and salvaging a career in healthcare, is to stop NOW, and get to as many meetings as you can. I favor AA over NA in my area, only because the NA these days as so much short-term sobriety, whereas most AA meetings have a good group of old-timers-- which is what every newcomer needs.

If you get your hands on Suboxone, realize that you will then be on Suboxone. You will become either one of the people who thinks everything will be better, once you stop Suboxone.... or you will be buying it on the street, where your supply won't be constant, forcing you to use whatever crap gets you through the dry spell--- which for many people ends up being heroin.

Realize that buprenorphine isn't magic. It has a ceiling effect that results in the loss of cravings, if taken in high-enough dose. But when you taper it or stop it, it is just another mu opioid. Yes--- buprenorphine CAN be used for detox, to make the withdrawal more manageable-- but only in a controlled setting, which almost always means a controlled environment with locks on the doors, or at least people making sure you don't come and go as you please.

Us healthcare workers--- we all think we know enough to treat ourselves. Your best bet, by far, is to surrender to someone else's care-- and do exactly as you are told. It is the secret that keeps us sick.

Good luck--- I hope you find some desperation, and listen to the part of you who knows his limitations.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:07 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you very much for the reply. I actually spent a good deal of time going to AA, when I recovered from alcoholism--I had been alcoholic from age 16-26. I am almost 32 now. Unfortunately, since losing my job in the city (NY) a few years back, I stopped going to meetings--NY has amazing AA meetings. It's not like I'm not in the city a few times / week and I could still try to build a meeting schedule around that...it's just so card coming back as a "newcomer" again.

I really surrendered to the pills, simply because I was putting myself into (potentially) dangerous legal situations, I knew it was going to exacerbate any depression issues I have had of late and I found the whole ordeal of getting and using pills to be unmanageable.

The reason I looked to suboxone is that I am in a period of my life where I still need to function and cannot afford to just waste away in my apartment, for weeks on end, with the blinds drawn and the heat cranked. It is really the depression that gets me worse than anything and in spite of taking Wellbutrin and Celexa, the only thing that could get me out of bed and going was 15-30mg of oxycodone. Not an off-the-charts dosage, I know. But also not healthy, nor sustainable...and psychologically, really unhealthy.

About an hour ago I took 1/16th of an 8 mg strip as it had been eighteen hours since my last oxycodone dose and I was feeling freezing cold, ready to go back to sleep again and wake up hours later. I am thinking that 1/8th of an 8 mg strip might be optimal for a couple of days and then cut back to 1/16th, as needed...I may only use a single strip (package) of this medicine, because why rob Peter to pay Paul?

And yes, I am going to make sure to get back to some local meetings, in Queens or LI, where I feel better about starting afresh.

Thank you again for all your help and insight!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:13 pm 

inphinit,

The Dr. said it so very well. But now that you've taken Suboxone, how will your life play out now?

When you take a drug that makes you happy and then stop it, guess what? The opposite happens. You experienced it when you stopped alcohol too. Remember your feeling/emotions coming back around the 6 week mark and crying for no good reason?

What I am trying to say is, what are going to put in its place when you stop Sub? That is where the need for meetings or some other type of recovery program is so important. You want a career in the health field, but which is worse; seeing a Suboxone doctor who will prescribe it for you legally, or, get busted by the police or the DEA for buying it off the streets? That may be a felony and now you've thrown that career out the window.

Take the doctors advice and tough it out. Flush the Suboxone and get your butt back in the meeting chair.

Just try to take a good hard look at your thinking. We addicts are infamous for lying to ourselves.

Welcome to our forum and I hope you get some good input here. BTW, I deleted your two other threads with the same question. It only needs to be seen in one. Freestyle will suffice.

rule62

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi inphinit,

Are you still reading? How's it going?

I only just saw this thread and I'm curious what happened with you?

BTW, just in case you're wondering, I do completely agree with Dr. J. If what you described are your only symptoms of WD, then I don't believe suboxone is the right choice for you. I think you'd be better off toughing it out and putting some time between you and your using.

Q