It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:39 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

This is my first posting here, hoping there really are some people here that can help me. I was completely sober and clean from all drugs and alcohol for over 10 years. And considering my extensive hx of narcotic addiction that is a miracle and I give credit to AA and NA. Anyway 30 years ago I contracted hep c, big surprise. It was clear I needed to get rid of it so I did the normal tx which totally kicked my butt and during the tx I was taking alot of Opana, morphine which helped alot. It allowed me to keep the interferone dose high. So that was 3 years ago I got ride of the hep C but can't get off of the pills. So I've been on the sub for about 2 years. For the last 3 months I've been trying to get off of the suboxone and have found it to be frustrating. So currently this is my pattern for the last two weeks. Got down to 4mg/day and stopped. Did ok for about 4 days then I had 1 8mg tab left and took that over two days. Then I didn't take any for another 4 to 5 days but started really getting edgy friday so I got 2 more tablets which I took over the weekend. So now today I haven't taken any. So what do I do? The reason I stopped at 4mg was I was getting restless with the tapering and started messing with the dose, up and down, we all know the pattern. I have continued going to alot of meetings which helps. I don't have any pain issues anymore and am in good health otherwise. I want to get this monkey off my back. I lived many years without anything so I know it can be done. Somebody give me some feedback. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey FB,

Welcome to the forum. I haven't gotten off sub yet but from what I've read here and from everyone I've talked to it seems you need to taper way down before trying to jump. 4 mg's of sub is a hell of a lot. Sub is a strong drug. I'm down to .5 mg/day or less and still don't feel ready to jump off. The success stories all come from people that taper down to a crumb a day. Like .2 mgs. When you do go off it sounds like clonodine helps.

What are your toughest symptoms of WD? Just the cravings? Sleeplessness?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:24 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

hawker1 wrote:
".........it seems you need to taper way down before trying to jump. 4 mg's of sub is a hell of a lot. Sub is a strong drug. I'm down to .5 mg/day or less and still don't feel ready to jump off. The success stories all come from people that taper down to a crumb a day. Like .2 mgs. When you do go off it sounds like clonodine helps.........

I have to agree with that for tapering. Check out the Liquid Taper Method also for an excellent way to come off of bupe slowly and an easy way to get to the smaller dose amounts (i.e. approx 100-500 microgram range). Good Luck

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:34 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Well after 4 days of no sub I start to get scared and panic, because by then I am restless, craving, running nose, stomach distress, fatigue. On any other narcotic at 4 days I would be 10 times sicker so I don't know why this gets to me. Maybe because of the unknown. I should known better. When I hear people talking about weeks of withdrawal thats hard to accept and putt up with. I hate being an addict sometimes, sometimes its the greatest thing in the world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:10 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

For me, I have been on suboxone for over 6 months. I have had two doctors, the first I got rid of and now with my current for a few months. In between the doctors, I had to go like 6 days and then I had my new and current Dr. appointment. I didn't really feel anything physical from w/d until day 3, like the end of day 3. Then it started to get physical w/d and began to get worse. By the time I seen my current Dr. the 1st time I was in mild-moderated w/d, from suboxone (go figure). I know for a fact that my mind was waiting for 'this horrible severe, intense w/d', that just didn't come. So I was not able to sleep well and had anxiety issues the first 3 days (well, anxiety issues throughout) and i'm sure it made the whole '6 days' worse than it could have been, all my fault. I am not sayig that someone isn't feeling uncomfortable or pain, this is just what happened to ME..... I don't know for sure and have heard many different things but I think the suboxone detox can PEAK at a much later date than typical short action meds like perc's and dope. It shouldn't be as severe, relatively (spelling?) speaking, but a longer w/d. And then the PAWS, PAWS can suck for all opiate detox's and is the main reason why many of us don't do well without a tool such as suboxone (me included). PAWS is not what I am talking about, I am just referring to the actual drug detox.

So, I think you are just used to the w/d that peak in like 3-4 days and over in 11-14 roughly. (again, not to mention the PAWS)

I am on suboxone now, so probably someone with better and more first hand experience with going through the whole detoxification process for bupe would be a better person to respond I presume.

Again, I am NOT an expert nor doctor.....just an addict in recovery benefitting from suboxone greatly. Hope I helped some....good luck

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi'ya FatBoy,

I'm still on suboxone so I have no personal experience with tapering down.

BUT, I've read alot of posts here about it. Many, many people had a really bad time jumping off at 2 mg, so I can imagine what jumping off at 4 mg could be like.

I've heard good things about the liquid taper. Then there's the REALLY slow taper, over a period of months; slowly dropping your dosage until you get to little crumbs. (Others, help me out if I didn't explain that well.)

If it's possible, consider one of those two methods to reduce or eliminate withdrawals.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Melissa

Post subject: jumping at 2mg
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:25 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I am like 37 days off of suboxone, I jumped off at 2 mg and I was able to deal with it. I have only been starting to sleep and eat normally for about a week now and I still wake up with nausea for the first 10 mintutes after I wake up. My taper schedule went like this though. I took 2mg on a sunday, skipped monday, dosed tuesday, skipped wednesday thursday, dosed friday, skipped 3 days and dosed the evening of the 4th day and that was my last dose. The first two weeks are rough, the second two weeks get better but not by a whole lot. Expect to feel better on like a week to week basis rather than day to day.

I learned about this method of tapering the last day I went to the clinic, one of the nurses told me she also worked at a suboxone only clinic and that people were having a lot more success this way rather than trying to cut pills in half and jump from 1mg. I think the real problem is the amount of time it takes to start feeling back to normal after your last dose, it isn't the worst withdrawal I've experienced its just a lot more drawn out. When the kick really hits after 4 or 5 days, you might try pushing through it instead of taking more suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Four-Twenny - congrats on weaning off the Suboxone. People on this site are so open and willing to share personal experiences, such as you did. It's why I stick with this forum.

Fat boy,
"Diary of a Quitter" recently came off Suboxone, I think this summer, with the liquid taper method. Perhaps she can give you another perspective.

(**Diary - I hope you don't mind me saying this. If I crossed a line in offering YOUR perspective on your behalf, forgive me and just let me know. I just remember reading your posts and how detailed and comprehensive they were and so helpful to others.)

Just remember, everyone's different and nothing works for all of us. Find what works for you and stick with it. If you later must change your method, there's nothing wrong with that either.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted, I'd like to know how you're doing.

Melissa