It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:54 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I hope I'm going about this right, this is only my second post since I joined back in November of 2013. Please let me know if I should be posting this on a different message board.
I have been given a wonderful gift by a wonderful friend with no strings attached, it’s a true gift. This friend is my mom and she does not have a lot of money at all. She is 76 years old and lives on a small fixed income but she’s pretty good at managing money and is surviving fairly well (in other words she only runs out of milk once a week). I happened to mention to her today in the normal course of conversation that there is a program for very quickly detoxing off of Suboxone. I told her the last I heard it can be done for around $6000 (the last thing I was doing was looking for help). I also told her I hardly know anything about it but she told me to find out everything I can and let her know the details. Another way to put it is that she has definitely offered to pay for it (where the money would come from completely eludes me).
I can't tell you how happy and grateful I am. I’ve been on Suboxone for 3 years now and have truly been though “the mill” in many regards of my Suboxone treatment. You know the drill - sleeplessness, medical fees, finding a new Dr., running out of prescription too early, withdrawal, detox attempt (once), etc.
So I figure where better than here to post this message and get some good feedback, quickly. I am willing to travel anywhere in the country if I feel it’s warranted and will somehow come up with the airfare myself. I live in New York which I would imagine will be a good starting place. The problem with New York is the prices. Now I have not investigated Manhattan yet but I can only guess that there will be other places with qualified Doctors some where else in the US that will be substantially less costly.
So I invite you for your input. Anything you believe I should know while I research this life changing event would be greatly appreciated. What can you tell me about this procedure? - Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:33 pm 

I don't know much about rapid detox but I found a couple of links for reference. Hopefully they will answer any questions you have about the procedure. Here they are:

post77975.html?hilit=rapid%20detox#p77975

post78407.html?hilit=rapid%20detox#p78407

post77971.html?hilit=rapid%20detox#p77971

There are more threads. Just use the Search function up top and put in Rapid Detox and hit Search.

rule

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the help, unfortunately the links you included went to empty boards. - Jeff

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

See if this one works

any-experiences-with-rapid-detox-t6741.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:17 am 

Hi Jeff! That's really strange that you saw empty boards on Rule's links. I followed the links and saw entire threads! I have no idea why you're not seeing what I'm seeing. Glen Bee's works as well as far as I can see. I hope that one works for you too, Jeff!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:17 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Check out the Coleman Institute in Richmond, VA. Their buprenorphine rapid detox is said to be top notch, and inexpensive, like maybe 2000.00 if I remember correctly. I did a bit of research about it a few months back, and came across their website.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jeffoxone,

I was thinking about this thread.. I'm going to play devils's advocate for a minute and please don't take it in a bad way, not my intention...

In your post you mention running out early and going into withdrawal. I don't know how often that happens for you etc.. but I hope you have a plan in place like attending meetings etc... They say getting clean is the easy part, staying clean is the hard part. The worst would be if your Mom spends $6,000 and you end up right back where you started, using, back on sub etc..

Everybody is different with this med but allow me to share my experience. I have been on sub since 2009. (I started at 8mg). I tried to taper a few times during my treatment when I got the desire to "be off everything".. those tapers failed. I couldn't even get from 8mg to 6mg which turned out to be so unnoticeable later on when I was ready to taper. Being ready to taper happened to be about 2.5 years into my treatment and I have been tapering for nearly 2 years now because I realized there's no rush. Tapering so slowly (I'm at .09mg now) has allowed me to feel virtually no symptoms. I realize now I wasn't even close to ready to go off sub and I had a lot of changes still to make in my life back when I thought going from 8mg to 6mg was impossible.

Just throwing that out there, only you can know if you're ready. I don't know your situation but I wish you success whatever you decide!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your response. You know, I mean it, I really don't know why I said "running out early". I must have been thinking of something in particular but for the life of me I can't figure out why I said that. I think what I meant was that I waited too long (did not realize how fast the time went sometimes) to set up my next visit back to the Doctor and they could not give me an appointment or their office was closed for the weekend, my script ran out and I ended up suffering for it. One would think that it would not happen again considering that when I said "I ended up suffering for it", man that was putting it lightly. But nooo, not me, had to learn the hard way a few times until I got with the program.

I always take my prescribed dose and have no desire to do otherwise. I have no desire for anything mind altering in any way what-so-ever. Over 2 years (sober, sober, sober) and now a million miles away from where I was. But I'm certainly not cocky about it. I've seen many a man (and woman) with plenty of time under their belt blow it big time and end up back at square one. Though I do believe Suboxone treatment is a different animal altogether as far as desire goes, or I should say "lack of desire".

I believe I am ready after 3 years of treatment, to say goodbye to Suboxone. I'm going to try and pin down this Rapid Detox and hopefully start falling into a regular sleep pattern. I don't think I've slept for more than 4 hours straight in almost 3 years (and 4 hours straight is a total luxury). Every day I live my life virtually around the clock with a half hour sleep here, up for 3-5 hours, 10 minutes there, up for 2-3 hours. Maybe an hour and a half once or twice a week and up for 5 to eight hours, that's how my life goes. I'm busy, that's for sure with my new business and all, but that makes my sleep deprivation even worse. I'm so busy that I try to squeeze as much time out of the day as possible (I believe it is the Suboxone that enables me), but I'm starting to get on top of things a little better, if I don't slow down I'm probably going to get very sick. I'm actually amazed that I have not collapsed from exhaustion up to this point but I know I have to draw the line, now, and start cutting myself some slack.

If this Rapid Detox is effective, the timing couldn't be better.

I hope my babbling did not put you or anyone else to sleep, I was just writing my thoughts as they popped out. By the way, from what you wrote to me, I believe you are a very kind person. - Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Lizzie. I'm thrilled at the prospect! - Jeff

lizzieshug wrote:
Check out the Coleman Institute in Richmond, VA. Their buprenorphine rapid detox is said to be top notch, and inexpensive, like maybe 2000.00 if I remember correctly. I did a bit of research about it a few months back, and came across their website.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

OK here goes.. I just spent the last several hours looking into (via Google) "Rapid Detox". Man am I glad I did my homework. And it was not even that much homework, only a couple of hours. Well now I'm just "excited" about the fact that I'm safe and not in any danger compared to what I could have been facing had I actually underwent Rapid Detoxification. All I could dig up was disaster after disaster. Out of all the testimonials I read only 1 had any positive feedback. If this procedure was worth it's salt I should have been able to find hundreds, if not thousands of positive testimonials; I found 1, and it cost the guy $22,000!

I'm much better off with the current problems I have than what I could very well end up with if I were to continue in my quest to get off Suboxone the quick way. I'm not even going to tell you what I read, just let it suffice to say that I would have to be out of my mind to continue my investigation any further.

Thank you all for your input,

Sleepless, but alive - Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:32 pm 

Wow, Jeff! There must be some horror stories out there! Good for you for doing your homework. It's a lot of money to spend if you're not going to have the desired result.

Now that you've decided not to do the "rapid detox", are there some things about your sub experience that we could help you with? I know that insomnia, for example, is no fun. Do you need suggestions on anything?

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jeff- sorry I misunderstood, makes sense now :)

I'm glad you're not doing rapid detox. To be be honest, it seems like such a long shot to me and kind of 'too good to be true'. I highly suggest giving tapering a try and not being in a rush (if you feel the need to be off sub). You might find it pretty easy and any side effects you may feel now will lessen every time you drop. From 8mg to 2mg for me was so easy, under 2mg you will feel it a bit more and need to go slower in order to feel minimal or no symptoms. Two weeks is the shortest amount of time I've ever waited between dose changes and sometimes I stay put for 2 months if I feel I need to.

Do you feel that suboxone gives you insomnia? When I was at my maintenance dose I feel like I could pass out easily after laying down. Even if I wasn't feeling tired, I just had to lay down, close my eyes... I rarely tossed and turned. Do you take your dose once a day in the morning?

-Glen