It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know I've hit both end of the spectrum with my prescribing physicians, but has anyone noticed an imbalance in practice between long term prescribers and those who want to start tapering shortly after induction? More specifically, is one a greater or more promineny trend from the other?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hmmm, Interesting observation, but I don't know...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would like to think that those of us encouraging long term use is on the ascendency, but difficult to know. The professional meeting I go to the vast majority do, but it is a collection of addictionologists and addiction psychiatrists and not representative of all waivered prescribers.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Docm2, you're quickly becoming one of my favorite people. Speaking mostly facetiously, how do I become your patient? Your response echoes a lot of what I've heard about buprenorphine. I went to a seminar a couple years back, shortly after my induction and it was very much like you described. Funnily enough, my induction doctor--who wanted me to taper almost as soon as I had started--attended that seminar. I am absolutely on the long term side of things. Buprenorphine is the only thing that has made my life remotely normal in seventeen years.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:29 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

do you mean trends doctors prescribing them or the mindset of patients when they begin?
i swear my dr. or clinic changed a policy somewhere. my first question was how long will i be on this? dr told me most people never go off it? like 0% really?
now all of a sudden he wants me to go down every month (i'm down way further than he thinks!)
and keeps saying things like successful treatment etc. like now there is a goal all of a sudden to get off of it. this change also happened when the clinic informed me i have to see the same dr. every month. i can't see anyone else if i need to switch days. he's only there 1 day a week!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree that there are more docs willing to prescribe 'long term' now than 10 years ago. But one thing, sister, that may have happened is that when docs fill up, the only way they take new patients is when old ones leave. I think that drives some of the 'churn' out there.

Funny.... the other day I was explaining buprenorphine to a woman who was very 'connected' politically, but who had no knowledge at all about addiction or buprenorphine. I explained how buprenorphine works, the low incidence of harm on the drug, the relatively low side effects, and the precipitating nature of addiction. She asked with complete sincerity, 'why don't they just keep you on it, like it was Lipitor?'

Too funny-- I told her she has more common sense than the vast majority of people who work with addiction!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:27 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

suboxdoc wrote:
She asked with complete sincerity, 'why don't they just keep you on it, like it was Lipitor?'

right?? why not?
i take lexapro every day!

i wish i knew about suboxone years ago. not for myself, but for a friend. we were trying to get him into a rehab (that was the only option we knew, this was 2007 i think) they didn't have a bed for him when he showed up. he asked what he was supposed to do now? they told him just keep doing what you're doing. well, he did and he ended up in jail. for 4 years!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I was doing well in sub for years. I moved and the doctor i went to said i had been in too much for too long and would inly prescribe me 2 mgs and he didnt know for how long he would even do that. That is when i decided to stop taking it.