It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: vanishing testosterone
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:48 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I read some of the information from "subdoc" and it good to see the issue regarding opioid induced hypogonadism (low testosterone levels caused by long term opiate use). My personal history is that I am 50 yrs. old an have been a opiate addict since I was 18. There have been some years of clean time thrown in there I was clean about 4 years once and 2 years another time. I decided to go on methadone maintenance in 1996 an finally switched to suboxone late December 2010. I am on a relatively high dose 16 mg. However, most difficult issue I am having is all the years on methadone has decreased my testosterone to extremely low levels. I have been monitoring it for the past 6 months. I was hoping that my levels would rise naturally but given my age and all the years of methadone and other opiates that is not happening. I am aching all time. My concentration and my memory are all but gone. I am exhausted all the time. Not to mention the ED, which right now I consider to be the least of my worries. I have lost muscle mass and have less than half of my strength. Just walking around the block is an undertaking. The thing that worries me the most is my inability to do my job because of the exhaustion and inability to concentrate. I have not earned any money the entire year of 2011. If anyone has any experience with any of the plethora of problems in this long-winded post I would love to get some information from the forum. BTW I have tried testosterone replacement therapy and instead of gaining masculine attributes it exacerbated the the weakness and muscle atrophy. I ended up with gynecomastia. Needless to say I need some help! :(

Post subject: you're not alone
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:06 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I've got to keep this short but there, somewhere, on this site there is a lengthy discussion by male users of Opioids or Suboxone regarding Low T and almost all of them are hormone deficient; as I am. I am now on Androgel and my doctor and I are trying, but after a year or so on this Androgel my levels are where they should be finally; I am 46 now.

I've always had a strong sex drive so was never tested in my entire life, but due to an auto accident my Narcotic Hell began 5 years ago and I'm just now starting over with Suboxone. I don't have much to add, I can't say I feel a lot different when my testosterone was low and now that it is close to normal? I personally have to give it more time… I do know how long however it seems that the stronger the Opioid you’re on, the worse damage there is, other say that Suboxone, while still an Opioid does also affect hormone levels... it does but it is very little, so there is hope just push to get off everything you don’t need. If you must be on Suboxone them you must; that is until something better comes along…

Be well.